Author Topic: [HAMR] A new challenger - Miles Smith  (Read 77325 times)

Re: A new challenger - Miles Smith
« Reply #75 on: 06 April, 2015, 06:58:31 pm »
Does anyone have Miles's contact details or his Strava name (can't find anything obvious through searching)? I'd like to be able to add him to the OYTT visualization when he starts next week, but I'll have trouble without access to his tracks on Strava.

He should appear under HAM'R but I looked and couldn't find either.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #76 on: 06 April, 2015, 07:22:43 pm »
I thought Sandy said she knew him.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #77 on: 06 April, 2015, 11:40:04 pm »
Quite so.  PM sent to Jo.
Sandy
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #78 on: 09 April, 2015, 03:17:15 pm »
Miles is now on Strava. He's joined the HAM'R group.

red marley

« Reply #79 on: 09 April, 2015, 03:52:25 pm »
Yup - the data look good to go. Thanks to Sandy, I've been in touch with Miles and his team and I'll be adding his rides to the OYTT from Saturday onwards.

« Reply #80 on: 09 April, 2015, 04:13:52 pm »
Just like to point out that the only person to hold the year record twice was also from Victoria, Ossie Nicholson.

He got it by cycling Melbourne to Portsea and back every day for a year, and won it again by doing that twice a day for at least part of the year.

I hope Miles chooses a more interesting approach.

And here is Miles, doing that route (nearly - Portsea would involve continuing around the bay as far as he could go, about another 20 km)

https://www.strava.com/activities/281342306

« Reply #81 on: 12 April, 2015, 12:14:34 am »
Miles' website is now up; www.gomiles.com.au and there is some interesting reading there about his bikes, gearing and equipment.
He is a relative newcomer but as I saw yesterday at the breakfast, has the liking and respect of many in the Audax community here.
Just as an aside, even in my peak I don't think I ever looked as fresh after a 200km ride as Miles did at the breakfast yesterday.
Go Miles!!

Andrew

« Reply #82 on: 12 April, 2015, 07:45:14 am »
The man appears to be cut from the right cloth...

This bike gets ridden as my commuter, about 155 km (96 miles) per day

Having done that for a while as Km instead of miles, I know I'm not.

Go miles, Miles!

« Reply #83 on: 12 April, 2015, 07:57:22 am »
Although not posted to Strava (yet?), it appears that our antipodean chum has boshed off around 600km on his first day (see Twitter feed). If so, then this is very respectable and, as said below, he is definately "cut from the right cloth".

red marley

« Reply #84 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:02:19 am »
Some of that will be 'day 2', as in Melbourne it is currently 5pm on his second day, but I agree he will be a formidable challenger.

« Reply #85 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:13:46 am »
Just spent a few minutes reading his web page. He intends to copy Ossie Nicholson and ride up and down the same stretch of road all year. Riding a bike that much is hard enough mentally, but up and down the same bit of road? It will drive him round the bend!

simonp

« Reply #86 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:18:59 am »
I hope there are some bends.

LMT

« Reply #87 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:20:22 am »
I do admire the mentality and practicality of this attempt.

Ride the same route day in, day out. And when you are tired/bored/frustrated you think back to Nicholson doing the same thing in 1933 & 1937.

Good luck to the man.

« Reply #88 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:33:41 am »
Well, according to another post on here, he used to commute most (160km of 200km!) of that route daily.  So he already knows he can do it mentally. 

I know that road well.  It's enormously popular with cyclists, though it has been the source of some conflicts with motorists.  It's a beautiful route, mostly along the beach.    Very exposed when storms come across the bay, but I guess he's used to that too.

From his website he's running a spot tracker, so you can see he's still moving.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0CRBBQbhAxqUlA9HU7TqKCimrY7xD03KT

« Reply #89 on: 12 April, 2015, 11:51:34 am »
I'm hoping there will be a single yacf thread for Miles Smith, like that for Kurt S, rather than a new thread each day -  which we need for Steve...   :)

Good luck Miles.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #90 on: 12 April, 2015, 12:17:46 pm »
I'm hoping there will be a single yacf thread for Miles Smith, like that for Kurt S, rather than a new thread each day -  which we need for Steve...   :)

Good luck Miles.

Agreed.

All the best to Miles but I am sure  Steve appreciates the support on here.

H

hillbilly

« Reply #91 on: 12 April, 2015, 03:03:01 pm »
Perhaps we should simply just copy and paste the same posts every day, given his monotonous schedule.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #92 on: 12 April, 2015, 03:10:37 pm »
Well, according to another post on here, he used to commute most (160km of 200km!) of that route daily.  So he already knows he can do it mentally. 

I know that road well.  It's enormously popular with cyclists, though it has been the source of some conflicts with motorists.  It's a beautiful route, mostly along the beach.    Very exposed when storms come across the bay, but I guess he's used to that too.

I hope not for at least the next 365 days.
Getting there...

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #93 on: 12 April, 2015, 03:32:07 pm »
Beach road is a huge chain gang road - first thing in the morning every day -- ie 5.00am -about 50 cyclists in each group ( the Pirates,The racing gang,Beach Boys etc etc ),going flat out .Superb road to ride - so these guys are all clocking along at 40+ kms an hour - even I managed to hold on to one group ONCE - but right at the back .You can imagine why motorists are not happy.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #94 on: 12 April, 2015, 04:09:20 pm »
I went to see what the latest was on beach road, and found Beach Road cyclist left with fractured skull in wake of "Hell Ride".

Maybe Miles should be careful of the other cyclists  :hand:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #95 on: 12 April, 2015, 04:23:07 pm »
They do sound like a bunch of idiots. :(
Getting there...

« Reply #97 on: 12 April, 2015, 05:43:17 pm »
They do sound like a bunch of idiots. :(

^+1

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #98 on: 12 April, 2015, 05:46:06 pm »
You can imagine why motorists are not happy.
Because there is a piece of tarmac where the motor car is NOT the dominant species?
Or because a load of people are having more fun than them?

It sounds great. No doubt there are a few dickheads - but the same applies to motons on any given road, globally.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #99 on: 12 April, 2015, 05:56:24 pm »
You can imagine why motorists are not happy.
Because there is a piece of tarmac where the motor car is NOT the dominant species?
Or because a load of people are having more fun than them?

It sounds great. No doubt there are a few dickheads - but the same applies to motons on any given road, globally.

Unfortunately Matt, when you get a big bunch of good riders together, testosterone takes over. I did the Tom Simpson reliabilty ride last year and the behaviour of MOST riders towards oncoming traffic was abominable. I was embarrassed to be there at times. It was a nasty accident waiting to happen. Thankfully, on that day it didn't.