Author Topic: On the fly routing not working (Legend HCx and City Navigator 2009)  (Read 1895 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
I lost my lovely Legend HCx a few weeks ago and I was lost without it.

(Badoom-Tish  ::-))

So I've replaced it with an identical model, bought new from Amazon.  The first set of maps I loaded it up with were Andy Gates's OSM build, which I installed on one MicroSD card.  They're absolutely lovely maps, but won't do the one thing I use a great deal which is postcode or street name lookup.

So I get another MicroSD card and loaded up my original set of UK maps from City Navigator NT 2009.  This now gives me postcode and street name lookup just as before.  However...

For some reason, when I asked it to take me to the campsite we were going to (which I'd pre-programmed in as a waypoint) the little unit had an attack of teh wibblies.  It displays the maps just fine, but doesn't seem able to route along them.  Arse.

I think what's happening is that it's using a much more limited set of data to navigate, as the purple line started from somewhere that wasn't where I was and only turned at a couple of points prior to terminating somewhere short of the point I was trying to get to.  And no matter what settings I used, it still thought that cycling along the M25 was a good idea.

Has anyone got any ideas what's happening?  I built the City Navigator GMAPSUPP.img as usual in Mapsource, but it would appear to be lacking routing information, maybe?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: On the fly routing not working (Legend HCx and City Navigator 2009)
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2009, 11:34:54 am »
That also happened to the map copy you squirted onto my device.  Do you have to register the new device in Mapsource else the maps go wonky?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2009, 11:45:04 am »
Did it?  Ah. Bugger.  I may need to do that, then.  I suspect I have a night of fun ahead of me, swearing at the software...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2009, 12:56:13 pm »
Sounds like an 'unlock code' thing.  I don't have City - but AIUI, older versions came with 2 unlock codes, newer copies only have 1 (but you can buy :o another one from those nice Garmin people)

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2009, 06:04:08 pm »
If the CN maps aren't unlocked, what you will be seeing is it trying to route you along the built in base map roads - from the nearest point on an A road to where you are, to the nearest point on an A road to where you want to go.

« Reply #5 on: 07 September, 2009, 05:59:18 am »
Did it?  Ah. Bugger.  I may need to do that, then.  I suspect I have a night of fun ahead of me, swearing at the software...

Did you get this fixed Charlotte?

I hesitate to say this here, but, Garmin City Navigator Europe 2010 is now available in, erm... *cough*...   all the "usual places".

I have *cough*, a friend, who just uploaded them to his Vista CX and they seem to be working just peachy, and GPS unit says they are all unlocked for turn by turn routing (although I haven't yet tried that function).

Let me know if you need pointing in the right direction.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #6 on: 07 September, 2009, 09:13:08 am »
I had a similar problem with maps not working on a new unit (replacement for broken old one under warranty. I did not get anywhere at the time with Garmin issuing new codes for me to use so I gave up and used an "Unlock Utility" so that I could continue to us my legally purchased but now unusable (due to Garmin idiot licensing) maps.

Beware, however, when I last looked there are two versions on the Unlock Utility on the interweb. One has a virus stuffed into it.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 07 September, 2009, 10:49:10 am »
Randomly this happened once recently with a non-Garmin map.  Restarting the GPS fixed it.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 11 September, 2009, 02:03:21 am »

Did you get this fixed Charlotte?

I certainly did.  A very nice forummer sent me a very pretty little plastic disc which made my Garmin all healthy and lovely again.  And I didn't have to mess about with any of those tiresome code thingies.

The *usual* places, you say?

Gosh, what could you mean by that?

O:-)