Author Topic: GUTTERED BY A BUS - HEYFORDIAN TRAVEL B11HTL  (Read 2160 times)

GUTTERED BY A BUS - HEYFORDIAN TRAVEL B11HTL
« on: 12 May, 2010, 09:28:26 am »
I was guttered by an overtaking bus this morning and want to complain to their traffic manager.

I was on my own about 15mph  approaching a juntion with traffic lights- I heard the bus coming up behind and thought he would stay behind until the lights but he started to overtake then realised he could not make it because of the oncoming traffic released by the lights and pulled in, forcing me into the gutter and pavement.

I seem to recalll somewhere that you should overtake only when it is safe and clear to do so but I want to quote the correct part of the Highway Code or the Road Traffic in my letter - can anyone point me in the right direction?

Re: GUTTERED BY A BUS - HEYFORDIAN TRAVEL B11HTL
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:30:32 am »

« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:39:48 am »
MAny thanks for that - looks good enough to support the complaint.

Is there anything in the RTA?

« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2010, 12:23:18 pm »
Similar thing happened to me recently TheWitney1, its not nice  :(

Have a look in the letters of complaint thread

Here is mine. I had the usual standard reply from the company concerned, but if no one says anything these pillocks will continue to think they can do what they want.

Once again a big thank you for this thread. I have been involved with a close encounter with a bus on Saturday and have used some of the letters here for material.
Sent to Arriva shires and essex head office. I have complained to this bus company before, approx 4 years ago, last time I sent a letter to the depot manager as well. This time I have left with the complaints department.

27th March 2010

Dear Sir / Madam,

I would like to complain most strongly about the driving standard of the person in charge of the Arriva bus number 7, registration number N*** TPK, who was driving along Southend Road heading towards Southend, in Rochford this morning at approximately 10.15 a.m.

I was riding responsibly, about a metre from the kerb at approximately 15-18mph. Your driver chose to overtake me in a dangerous manner, whilst traffic was coming in the opposite direction and there simply was not sufficient space for safe overtaking. The bus initially passed me with enough room but then quickly moved towards the kerb and so close to me that I was forced into the kerb to an emergency stop. The bus passed me with inch’s to spare.

I was astonished to see, once the bus had passed me another bus, clearly visible, travelling on the opposite carriage way. I rode after the bus to try to talk to the driver at the bus stop outside the Anne Boleyn public house to ask if she realised how close she had passed me. Instead I was ushered away with a gesticulating hand gesture, in my opinion a ‘couldn’t care less attitude’.

The Highway Code is quite specific regarding the space to give vulnerable road users, I quote-
“Give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211-215)”

This was quite clearly not the case in this instance. Not only did your driver fail to give adequate space in passing me, but also failed to read the traffic heading in the opposite direction before making the overtaking manoeuvre. Maybe I could forgive not seeing a car, but to not spot a bus coming towards me, that is another thing entirely.

I do not know what sort of appraisal or monitoring system you have in place to ensure the standard of your drivers, but in this instance is not working. The driver in Rochford this morning was a menace, and if she continues to drive in the manner that I experienced, it is only a matter of time before she causes a death or serious injury.

I look forward to your response.

Yours faithfully,

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2010, 02:22:50 pm »
Following my complaint about being guttered by a bus from  Heyfordian Travel I need some advice as to where to go next.

12 May - I submitted the complaint via their website on - no response
14 May - sent complaint by letter - no response
24 May - Phoned, asked to speak to Traffic Manager but not available. Spoke to Leigh Anne who denied that they had received any such complaint ( I reminded her of the automatic acknowledgement from the web site) I resent the email and phoned to confirm the receipt. Still no response
4 June -  phoned  asked for Traffic manager- John replied that it was with one of the Directors - dont know which one
9th E - mailed Leigh-Anne again asking for at least an acknowledgement of complaint and when I might expect and answer to the complaint. Reply was that the matter is being dealt with!!!

It is clear that this company is not in the slightest bit interested in the complaint and complaint handling is clearly unimportant to them.

Any advice where what to do next ?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2010, 02:36:22 pm »
Don't bother with Traffic Manager, find out which Director is responsible for Health and Safety and write to him/her, indicating the delay & lack of response. Copy the letter to the police and the local licensing authority for buses.
It is simpler than it looks.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2010, 04:38:28 pm »
...and copy the letter to the local press (Oxford Mail, Oxford Times...) too.  Make it clear that you've done that in the header. 

Mind you, Heyfordian were guttering me on my school run all dem years ago.  :/
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2010, 01:49:53 pm »
A letter to the Traffic Commissioner detailing the company's apparent indifference is always worth a shot. Address for the Western area Commissioner that covers Oxfordshire is 2 Rivergate, Temple Quay, Bristol, BS1 6EH. Telephone: 0300 123 9000. They tend to get filed with the vehicle operators's licence details.

The thickness and contents of the file is taken into account when deciding if an operator is of good repute and is managing there business in a responsible manner next time the operator's licence comes up for renewal. One complaint and nothing is likely to happen. However a series of complaints (not necessarily related) can result in an interview which will make the grilling the chairman of BP is about to receive from a congressional hearing seem like a walk in the park...

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2010, 04:17:34 pm »
I had never heard of Heyfordian before this thread started. Never seen any of their busses around here before. Then today I see two.

dah dah dahdah... dah dah dahdah.. you are entering the twiglet Twilight Zone.
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel