Author Topic: Borlotti beans  (Read 1152 times)

goatpebble

Borlotti beans
« on: 23 February, 2010, 10:34:31 pm »
Borlotti beans are probably my favourite soup bean. They have a wonderful earthy taste, reminiscent of chestnuts. They make a superb base for a chunky soup, and their gentle and savoury flavour is a perfect complement to really good olive oil.

This is a very basic recipe, adapted from a friend's. She is from Piedmont. This is simple warming stuff, and extremely comforting.

For two starving friends, with crusty bread, cheeses, and a salad, or four people as part of a bigger meal.

250g borlotti beans, soaked  for 24 hours

Drain the beans, place in a suitable pan, and fill with fresh water, to cover the beans by at least 7cm. Bring to a boil. Cook for ten minutes at a boil, skim, and then reduce to a slow simmer. Depending on how old the beans might be, the cooking time will vary. The beans should be tender, but not mushy.

In a large and heavy pan, put the following:

100g pancetta, coarsely chopped
Two onions, finely  chopped
Five sticks of celery, finely chopped
Four cloves of garlic, sliced paper thin, and crushed to a paste
Olive oil, approx one small wine glass full

On a very, very low flame, soften the above, with a lid on the pan, without frying. Be careful. Things should just gently cook in their own juices until the flavours become sweet and mellow. After about forty minutes you should have a soft and rich base for the soup, sitting in moist and gently golden juices.

Add the cooked and drained beans to the pan, a liter of water, and a large bunch of flat leaf parsely. Simmer very slowly for another thirty minutes. Add more water if necessary. Salt to taste just before serving.

Serve in big plates, so the stock can spill out around the pile of beans and vegetables in the centre. Add a generous glug of your best oil, a good grind of black pepper, and some grated parmesan for your guests to help themselves.

Re: Borlotti beans
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2010, 08:13:46 pm »
We grew Borlotti beans last year. 
Only got two meals out of them, but they were really good (probably would have got more if we'd realise they were ripening, but they were hidden under leaves  :facepalm: )
I will save your recipe for later on this year.

Thanks

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2010, 12:27:52 pm »
We grow them too - lingua de fuoco (tongue of fire) variety - planted in between and climbing up the sweetcorn.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

goatpebble

« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2010, 09:09:59 pm »
I made another soup, based on borlotti beans, and added the cooking water to the soup. The result was a very brown sort of soup, without the contrast of colours of my normal soup.

It was an experiment, but the result was an inflated gut, and the most musical farts.

I suggest this alternative only for those who might like to persue a career as a professional flatulist. Le Pétomane would be envious of my efforts.

Always drain the cooked beans.

« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2010, 03:26:50 pm »
We grew Borlotti beans last year. 
Only got two meals out of them

I grew them for the first time on our allotment last year, I only got one (admittedly huge) pot of soup out of them once they'd got really fat, but I used the young beans in a few meals too. This year I'm not bothering with any other beans (except some broad beans) I'm using all the space for borlotti beans.

« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2010, 04:51:32 pm »
And thanks for the reminder, just ordered some beans for this season.

Didn't save any from last year, ate them all.