Author Topic: DIY GPS  (Read 6048 times)

FyPuNK

DIY GPS
« on: 05 August, 2009, 10:58:49 am »
Sorting out all my old hiking stuff I came across my old Magellan GPS that I had bought way back in 1998. Now cycling and doing my first BP event I am thinking is it poss to use the unit on the bike so set about making a holder to the bars, hunting around my many box's of stuff I refuse to throw away I came across an old front reflector, with bar holders, this was the start, hunting around further and I could not find anything to finish the job off, next day at work and I came across some acrylic display stuff, bit of heating and moulding, couple of bolts and here we have the finished holder...

Biggest ball ache is that the data cable they made was like rocking horse muck to get hold of, so its a manual job inputting the waypoints. BUt it works a treat.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: DIY GPS
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2009, 07:18:01 pm »
Looks quite a neat mount! Only thing you might want some padding to stop the gps vibrating in the holder?

« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2009, 09:31:33 pm »
Cool!  It's a pity you can't rig up some sort of input cable though as plotting rides on a site like Bikely and uploading them to the device is a doddle - I spent 10 mins on Weds planning a scenic route to work in Banbury which I then rode with only a couple of loo stops - add 30 mins to that if using a map.

BTW I deleted my account on allotment.org - it's simply immoderated, by the likes of Aunt Sally, all I did was post a cartoon of Buster Gonad with reference to Vegmandan's giant onions, and it was gone the next day.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2009, 11:19:15 pm »
Top ghetto-rigged GPS  :thumbsup:

A Garmin is definitely on my "Top ten things to take with me when the effluvia hits the rotational cooling device".  On the same list, I also have:

A British Army Golok
Large bag of of thermite
Titanium spork
My Compound bow and a supply of arrows
Ray Mears
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2009, 08:38:36 am »

Ray Mears

Are you taking him so he can bore any attackers to death?  ;)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2009, 09:09:47 am »
If all else fails, there's plenty of eatin' on a Ray Mears.

Bear Grylls would be too gristly :D

« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2009, 10:15:22 am »
I think you're assuming that satellites would still be floating around and active, Charlotte?

I would take a catapult with spare bands and shot etc, once I've learned to use it accurately enough to hunt flying rats and rats-with-bushy-tails.

« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2009, 10:31:11 am »

Ah good thinking.  You could probably feed off the headmeat for a week.

« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2009, 12:20:34 pm »
I'm dissapointed now, I was hoping it would be something like this.  Possibly a bit beyond most people on this board. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2009, 01:56:56 pm »
I think you're assuming that satellites would still be floating around and active, Charlotte?

Yeah, they would.  For the first few weeks and months of the Zombocalypse, anyway.  Which is the bit that decides it for most people...

I would take a catapult with spare bands and shot etc, once I've learned to use it accurately enough to hunt flying rats and rats-with-bushy-tails.

That's what the compound bow is for  :demon:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 09 August, 2009, 02:02:25 pm »
Pah.  Real Men use astro-navigation.  The stars will survive the zombocalypse.  I'd replace the GPS with some Encona hot pepper sauce, because you can't taste how rotten Liz's leg is when you cover it in that stuff.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #11 on: 11 August, 2009, 09:24:01 am »

Ha! Someone else who thought the same thing. Keep him around until the fire is lit and you can figure out what's poisonous and will give you the runs and then kill him and eat him.

Although I might force him to make me a nice birch bark canoe first.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 11 August, 2009, 09:26:04 am »
We have a DIY GPS that is made of paper and folds pretty small.  Doesn't use batteries, either.  Perfect for the zombocalypse ;)
Getting there...

ed_o_brain

« Reply #13 on: 11 August, 2009, 09:31:28 am »
We have a DIY GPS that is made of paper and folds pretty small.  Doesn't use batteries, either.  Perfect for the zombocalypse ;)

It's okay, just a need a dynamo powered battery charger.

I know there is a firm looking for retailers to sell a widget for charging mobile phone, PDA, netbook etc. from Son, Shimano, SRAM etc. dynamos.

« Reply #14 on: 11 August, 2009, 05:41:19 pm »
That's what the compound bow is for  :demon:

Have you tried a slingbow yet?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-6LxKfpAPYA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-6LxKfpAPYA&rel=1</a>
Stropping rocks

FyPuNK

« Reply #15 on: 13 August, 2009, 05:21:48 pm »
Sorry for the late replies, just dried out from the punk fest here in Blackpool. First BrianI, mk2 has the neoprene padding to stop the rattling. Johnny, I know what you mean mate, keep popping in but dont really reply, there are a few more memebrs who dont go now.