Author Topic: Hedgehog out in freezing temp...  (Read 2755 times)

Hedgehog out in freezing temp...
« on: 24 November, 2017, 09:29:06 pm »
Found a HH outside here, currently 0C.  Currently in a tub with straw and hh food/water.  What do you reckon:

Keep in tonight, then release tomorrow - into leafy den in garden
Release now.
Take to wildlife refuge tomorrow.
Something else
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Hedgehog out in freezing temp...
« Reply #1 on: 24 November, 2017, 09:42:00 pm »
Weigh it. If less than 450g, it probably won't survive hibernation.

« Reply #2 on: 24 November, 2017, 09:54:50 pm »
Ok, thanks - just done that and it's ~475g. So I guess 'borderline' OK.  edit. some sites suggest 600g needed to survive...  Apparently HHs do not hibernate continuously and get up for days at a time during winter....
https://thehedgehog.co.uk/how-to-help-hedgehogs/hibernation/

« Reply #3 on: 25 November, 2017, 06:48:43 pm »
Probably too small to release - aren’t there any wildlife rescue places near you?

https://www.wildlifeaid.org.uk

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4 on: 25 November, 2017, 08:18:53 pm »
I agree with SP. Contact your local wildlife trust or hog rescue centre. I did a basic hog care course last year and the rescue centre will look after young non-hibernated hogs over winter in preparation for safe release in the Spring.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #5 on: 26 November, 2017, 01:19:47 pm »
Hog update please!

« Reply #6 on: 26 November, 2017, 02:37:28 pm »
HH is currently in a large tub, with straw, water, and hedgehog food (mix plus extra dried meal worms).   I've phoned nearby animal refuge (small outfit) - but not heard back yet.  I'm considering just releasing HH to a prepared HH home in garden and leaving HH food nearby.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7 on: 26 November, 2017, 03:53:06 pm »
this reminds me of a clip on the tv from 'the detectorists' one chap holds up a hedgehog he's found....other chap says.....''I thought hedgehogs were flat!''  bad taste I know, hope  HH does well and manages to stay 'round' for EVER!   ;)

« Reply #8 on: 26 November, 2017, 04:34:20 pm »
HH is currently in a large tub, with straw, water, and hedgehog food (mix plus extra dried meal worms).   I've phoned nearby animal refuge (small outfit) - but not heard back yet.  I'm considering just releasing HH to a prepared HH home in garden and leaving HH food nearby.

Great to read that HH is being well cared for. It will be interesting to read what the animal refuge advises. My understanding is that if they are too small to survive hibernation, then they need to be kept indoors and warm so that they don’t hibernate.

« Reply #9 on: 17 December, 2017, 06:48:28 pm »
Didn't weigh this one, but when we came back after 20 minutes or so, there was no sign of him.