Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 286914 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Naked Attraction: a new nadir in broadcasting.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Designer stubble in a series set in times when Arafat was taken as a misspelling of Ararat.  Tut tut. And on a diplomat's chin, no less.  No worse than 60's make-up on Cleopatra, I suppose, but daft all the same.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

From Saturday night

Oh no, not Gunvald :(
He was worried about being typecast, & wanted to do more of other things.

;D
So . . . what about Steinar?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

From Saturday night

Oh no, not Gunvald :(
He was worried about being typecast, & wanted to do more of other things.

;D
So . . . what about Steinar?

Tormund Giantsbane as a copper.

Maybe Jon Snow will be next.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Andrew

Stranger Things IS very good. Quite excellent TV. Superb soundtrack (as mentioned, though Joy Division perhaps not quite right) - the synth stuff  is very evocative. Some of it's references/ homages are name checked (Risky Business, the soundtrack, Tangerine Dream - check) others obvious (Stand By Me, Goonies) and others just visual (80s electronics - the walkie talkies are SO cool!, ape hangers, banana seats... and those lights!!)

Edit: and Altered States sensory depravation, ET... it's loaded with references

On top of that, it really is accomplished tele. Deserves a mention in the 'what's on tonight'  thread or summat.

Tonight's University Challenge climax was awesome. Total drama.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Just seen a teaser trailer for the new series of Humans on C4.

Squee!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Stranger Things IS very good. Quite excellent TV. Superb soundtrack (as mentioned, though Joy Division perhaps not quite right) - the synth stuff  is very evocative. Some of it's references/ homages are name checked (Risky Business, the soundtrack, Tangerine Dream - check) others obvious (Stand By Me, Goonies) and others just visual (80s electronics - the walkie talkies are SO cool!, ape hangers, banana seats... and those lights!!)

On top of that, it really is accomplished tele. Deserves a mention in the 'what's on tonight'  thread or summat.

Didn't think much of it. "Homages" there might have been but most of it was derivative and a lot of it just tired.  The monster was plain daft - and why should there have been just one?  Maybe if they do a second series the buggers'll come popping out of the wall like bed-bugs.

One funny bit: why did the kids' bike headlamps have thick orange filters? Did they maybe use LEDS in triplets - you could see 3 separate glowing points in there - and put the filter on to make them look more 1980s?

Ruthie

• Her Majester

Didn't think much of it. "Homages" there might have been but most of it was derivative and a lot of it just tired.  The monster was plain daft - and why should there have been just one?  Maybe if they do a second series the buggers'll come popping out of the wall like bed-bugs.

One funny bit: why did the kids' bike headlamps have thick orange filters? Did they maybe use LEDS in triplets - you could see 3 separate glowing points in there - and put the filter on to make them look more 1980s?

I just watched the first episode of this.  I'm hooked!
Milk please, no sugar.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Ringo Starr has tweeted that he did an online personality test thing to see which Beatle he is - and it said he was John.

Someone tweeted him back to say "could be worse, you could be Ringo."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
 ;D

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
I've finally got round to listening to Val McDermid's reworking of The Kraken Wakes, which was broadcast under the Dangerous Visions banner on R4 a few weeks back. It's quite good.  Anyhoo, our heroes are holed up in a flat in London, floodwater rising all around, gangs of marauders roaming the streets. There is a threatening knock at the door, accompanied by gruff threatening voices. "Put the chain on" says Phyl (played by Debbie AldridgeTamsin Greig) and cocks her shot gun, much to the amazement of her partner.

For some reason an image of Charlotte floated into my mind.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Someone on R4 has just been introduced as an "astrobiologist".

Nice work - if you can get it. :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
He must study all those rams, bulls, twins, virgins, etc.

Was that Dr Lewis Dartnell? (an old school friend of mine)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics

Was that Dr Lewis Dartnell? (an old school friend of mine)

I don't know who Wowbagger heard, but the one I heard on R4 recently was  Zita Martins.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Blimey.  Hilda Ogden's died  :-\
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
It's OK, she's allowed to.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Blimey.  Hilda Ogden's died  :-\

I thought that happened over thirty years ago, which is the price you pay for taking Notsensibles lyrics as gospel.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

No,she went to be housekeeper for Dr Lowther.

Life imitating art

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
My son has developed an interest in The Wire and is currently working his way through the box set.

Watched a bit of it last night with him. Bloody hell, it's good though, isn't it? I mean, I'd forgotten just how good it is.

The episode I saw last night was the one where Omar testifies against Bird. Just brilliant...

https://youtu.be/oYj7q_by_2E
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Funny, that. We were given the boxed set, but after the first episode - a bunch of people we couldn't identify with and larded with vile language - we dumped it. We'd probably give it more of a chance now, but back then it

Funny, that. We were given the boxed set, but after the first episode - a bunch of people we couldn't identify with and larded with vile language - we dumped it. We'd probably give it more of a chance now, but back then it
Wot, The Wire or Still Game?