Author Topic: "Maybe you'll stay in the cycle lane next time"  (Read 11896 times)

"Maybe you'll stay in the cycle lane next time"
« on: 04 August, 2008, 05:19:38 pm »
My girlfriend Jen has just come in in tears.  She was riding in the cycle lane on a normal straight suburban road a couple of minutes ago, and moved out to pass a taxi parked in the cycle lane with its offside door open into the road.  She did a shoulder check and gauged that the car behind her was far enough behind that this would not be a problem.  It was a gradual moving-out, not a sudden swerve. 

As she approached the taxi she became aware that the car behind had not slowed down or altered course, and hit the brakes and swerved to her left, coming to a halt in the angle of the taxi's open door.  The car passed the taxi with a couple of inches to spare.  She caught the car up at the lights twenty yards ahead, and the stupid woman in the driver's seat leaned over and said 'Maybe you'll stay in the cycle lane next time' with the classic self-satisfied motorist's smile.  She was still holding her mobile phone in her hand, and had apparently been texting. 

Jen was too shaken to get her registration plate, so there's not much to be done, but it's made me far more angry on her behalf than I am when something like this happens to me.  It's interesting though that the two cold-blooded attempts we've had to knock us off have both come from a middle-aged woman in a metallic blue saloon car. 

Re: "Maybe you'll stay in the cycle lane next time"
« Reply #1 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:21:02 pm »
That is utterly crap, poor lass.

Administer chocolate immediately.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:22:16 pm »
 Unbelievable  :demon:
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:23:24 pm »
What can you say?

Just a complete piece of shit, and Jen has been on the receiving end. Sympathy from here.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:23:36 pm »
That is utterly ridiculous!  >:(

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:24:39 pm »
Poor Jen.  Give her a hug from me and feed her chocolate and alcohol.

Personally, I'd have been tempted to rip the bitch's phone from her hand and stamp on it. Or decorate the side of her vehicle with some picturesque dents...

Plus the cabbie needs a bollocking for stopping in a cycle lane.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »
^^^ That be damage. Should grab it and throw it somewhere.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:28:04 pm »
Sympathy from here too, what a rotten and stupid way to behave.

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:29:33 pm »
Just bullying of the worst sort :(

I bet that if that had been a big bloke on the bike it'd have been a different story, and she'd have been less smug when remonstrated with

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #9 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:31:22 pm »
Good God!  I'm speachless.
Sympathies to Jen.

Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #10 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:31:47 pm »
The world is full of idiot's, and I'm afraid Liverpool has more than it's fair share  >:(

Hope she feels better soon.  

Cuddles & chilled wine will probably help...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:31:55 pm »
I haven't had the opportunity to do so yet, but one I have planned for a rainy day is to nick the keys out of the car and chuck them in a pond. Obviously the opportunity has to be right and the offence sufficient. It will probably never happen, but it is a plan I hatched when being pestered by a crowd of gits in a hatch-back last October on the Golden Tints and it keeps me going in moments of stress.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #12 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:34:09 pm »
That is just unbelievable. Sympathy to Jen.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #13 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:37:19 pm »
Plus the cabbie needs a bollocking for stopping in a cycle lane.

if it's a lane marked with dotted lines there's nothing legally wrong with him stopping there.     It's one of my bugbears re cycle lanes being painted everywhere, it creates a conflict with other road users not being able to get to the kerb.   (And would you prefer to be doored by the passenger as you pass between the kerb and car parked outside of the lane?)

Jen was too shaken to get her registration plate, so there's not much to be done, but it's made me far more angry on her behalf than I am when something like this happens to me.  It's interesting though that the two cold-blooded attempts we've had to knock us off have both come from a middle-aged woman in a metallic blue saloon car. 

Local shop with CCTV?

Regulator

« Reply #14 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:37:37 pm »

I have dented a Mercedes 4x4 before when in a 'red mist' - and when the owner, who'd hit me whilst on her phone, remonstrated I said I'd call the police and we'd find out who they'd be most interested in.  She very quickly shut up.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #15 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:38:15 pm »
I haven't had the opportunity to do so yet, but one I have planned for a rainy day is to nick the keys out of the car and chuck them in a pond. Obviously the opportunity has to be right and the offence sufficient. It will probably never happen, but it is a plan I hatched when being pestered by a crowd of gits in a hatch-back last October on the Golden Tints and it keeps me going in moments of stress.

For legal reasons you need to be able show that you did not intend permanently to deprive the owner of the keys. A better plan might be to hand them in at the police station most convenient to you. You were threatened with assault (you believed) and it was the only practical way you could protect yourself.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #16 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:38:50 pm »

I bet that if that had been a big bloke on the bike it'd have been a different story, and she'd have been less smug when remonstrated with

Jen is even ickler than I am.  Being small on a bike either averts trouble or invites it, unfortunately.

Give Jen a big hug from me, Phil, and I agree with the chocolate suggestion - it's good for soothing ruffled nerves. 

« Reply #17 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:42:11 pm »
if it's a lane marked with dotted lines there's nothing legally wrong with him stopping there.     It's one of my bugbears re cycle lanes being painted everywhere, it creates a conflict with other road users not being able to get to the kerb.   (And would you prefer to be doored by the passenger as you pass between the kerb and car parked outside of the lane?)

I completely agree with Nutty on this one. The small and highly questionable benefits of cycle lanes are far outweighed by the disadvantages. I'm quite happy to go well out of my way if I can avoid them but it's getting increasingly difficult.  The wretched things should be abolished.

Regulator

« Reply #18 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:43:48 pm »

Jen is even ickler than I am.  Being small on a bike either averts trouble or invites it, unfortunately.

Give Jen a big hug from me, Phil, and I agree with the chocolate suggestion - it's good for soothing ruffled nerves. 

Blimey!  Do wimmin get that small?   ;)  She must save a fortune by buying kids clothes.

But seriously, I believe that a lot of this poor behaviour by drivers is bullying.  "You're smaller than me, so I'll flip you off..."  "I'm in a metal box and you're not so I'll barge in..."

It does piss me off - particularly when I see drivers bullying children.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #19 on: 04 August, 2008, 05:55:09 pm »
But seriously, I believe that a lot of this poor behaviour by drivers is bullying.  "You're smaller than me, so I'll flip you off..."  "I'm in a metal box and you're not so I'll barge in..."

That's exactly what it is. For some reason people like this often effect a superior attitude. The reality is that they are nothing more than pissweasel fuckpuppets (© Mr. Larrington).

« Reply #20 on: 04 August, 2008, 06:00:38 pm »

For legal reasons you need to be able show that you did not intend permanently to deprive the owner of the keys. A better plan might be to hand them in at the police station most convenient to you. You were threatened with assault (you believed) and it was the only practical way you could protect yourself.

I tried that once.  I don't know what holds the infra red style key fob into the dashboard of a people carrier - but I could neither turn the engine off nor remove the key >:( >:(

I have also, in the past, demonstrated the correct use of the indicator stalk to the motorist.  It nearly came off in my hand, but not quite.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 04 August, 2008, 06:02:42 pm »

Into traffic worked for me the one time it needed to be done.   :demon:

If anyone's ever tempted to tolerate phone use while driving, just mentally paste the image of a large Martini over the phone.  That's how much of a cock the driver is being.

To the OP: That sucks.  Remind your GF that she has a right to get angry with dicks like that, not just upset.  Primal scream therapy. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #22 on: 04 August, 2008, 06:02:45 pm »
Jen says thankyou for all the sympathy.  We're just heading out for the chocolate and wine, those are excellent suggestions.  

It was a mandatory (solid white line) cycle lane so the cabbie was in the wrong, and stupid to be sitting there with his driver's door open, but it's a relatively quiet and very wide road.  Jen does get an unfair amount of rubbish when she's riding on her own, but I don't think Liverpool is especially bad.  It's an area up by the university, and there are CCTV-covered private halls building opposite.  I shall visit later to find out whether the road is covered and whether there is actually any tape in their magic-eye boxes, but I don't hold out much hope.  

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #23 on: 04 August, 2008, 06:12:17 pm »
Much sympathy to Jen. Horrible incident.

What with the recent endangering of life and limb by motons recently, I am going to charge my cameras batteries now, for tomorrows commute. When I was lying in the road last week, waiting for something to start hurting, I wished I had been using my camera.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

bobajobrob

« Reply #24 on: 04 August, 2008, 06:23:54 pm »
Much sympathy from here. I can't understand how people get off on that kind of bullying behaviour *and* breaking the law by using a phone whilst driving. Some people are just shits.