Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 334550 times)

simonp

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #775 on: 04 September, 2012, 03:58:49 am »
“On any longer trip it is crucial to brush the zippers clean every day, especially in high dirt conditions. When grit covers the coils, it can wear away at the softer metal of the slider body. The effect is that the slider no longer presses the teeth of the coil together and the slider can not close properly.” Petra, Hilleberg

So I expect Petra is not going to sack Shannon!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #776 on: 04 September, 2012, 09:20:23 am »
When I'm cycle touring, I'm too busy having The Fun to brush out my zippers.

Unless I'm camping in a desert made of ground up carborundum stone, I fail to see why this should be necessary at all.

<--- Nallo 3GT owner
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #777 on: 04 September, 2012, 07:38:31 pm »
When I'm cycle touring, I'm too busy having The Fun to brush out my zippers.

Unless I'm camping in a desert made of ground up carborundum stone, I fail to see why this should be necessary at all.

<--- Nallo 3GT owner
The Hilleberg website page on tent care is impressively thorough, and it does suggest giving the zippers extra care in sandy environments. www.hilleberg.com/home/tent_info/hints.php

It also suggests using a tent with a heavier fabric in extremely strong sun, for better resistance to UV.

I've never felt the need to brush out my tent zippers, even in the Mojave Desert, but I suppose in a windy and dusty enough environment it probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

« Reply #778 on: 04 September, 2012, 07:47:53 pm »
Weasel words designed to help them duck responsibility.   Disappointing...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #779 on: 05 September, 2012, 09:52:37 pm »
I bought a replacement hose for some camping stoves that I was given when the American Scout troop in Oslo folded and I brought back to UK but neverused. Partly because they are like these:

Probably over 20 years old, they take a rather specific gas bottle that is like hens teeth in the UK and expensive (and not long lasting) to boot.

So I bought the hose which will allow me to connect the stove to a more sensible sized gas cylinder that is readily available and much cheaper to run. One of these:

Not exactly backpackable but will do wonderfully for things like car camping and remote audax controls/time trials etc.

Found the stoves, and they both work just fine (though one appears to be slightly down on one of the burners.)

Happy bunny.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #780 on: 05 September, 2012, 10:17:29 pm »
The up-market tent pegs that I bought as replacements for the rubbish supplied with my Wild Country Zephyros 1 tent arrived today. They need to be tested.

Thanks to AndrewC for the recommendation. They look to be the bees' knees.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

David Martin

« Reply #781 on: 05 September, 2012, 10:29:18 pm »
I could probably fit the stove to Worf the trailer. Mobile tea bike :thumbsup: I like the idea of that..

« Reply #782 on: 06 September, 2012, 08:58:59 am »
I could probably fit the stove to Worf the trailer. Mobile tea bike :thumbsup: I like the idea of that..
Ooh - cool!

*plans visit*
 :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

David Martin

« Reply #783 on: 07 September, 2012, 05:05:31 pm »
If I swap the big tank for a little one, it would be the ideal rally trailer for next year.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #784 on: 07 September, 2012, 05:10:50 pm »
I bought a replacement hose for some camping stoves that I was given when the American Scout troop in Oslo folded and I brought back to UK but neverused. Partly because they are like these:

I have a hankering for the "proper" version of that, the liquid fuelled-suitcase stove.  Ugly as sin with a separate fuel tank.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #785 on: 07 September, 2012, 05:12:41 pm »

I have a hankering for the "proper" version of that, the liquid fuelled-suitcase stove.  Ugly as sin with a separate fuel tank.

You mean like this?

If so, we've got one and it's great.
a great mind thinks alike

rogerzilla

« Reply #786 on: 07 September, 2012, 05:16:31 pm »

LEE

« Reply #787 on: 07 September, 2012, 05:46:51 pm »

rogerzilla

« Reply #788 on: 07 September, 2012, 06:38:50 pm »
Yes, the Pikes were raving about it.  It costs the equivalent of about fifty quid in the USA but £110 here.

David Martin

« Reply #789 on: 07 September, 2012, 09:30:02 pm »
Somewhere I have a optimus 22B, unfortunately with a crack in the fuel tank. It sounds like a jet engine, runs astonishingly well and is definitely a beast that should not be left in the charge of timid hands.

Much fun was had with this. It can burn a 5l pot of porrige before the top is even noticeably warm. It was nicknamed the whisperloud in the uni climbing club. One time in cornwall we had stopepd to cook supper. I think we were just down the road from Zennor. It was raining, blowing a gale and we set the stove up inside the shelter of an old mine building near the road. Sitting in the minibus with the rain pouring we could still hear the thing.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #790 on: 07 September, 2012, 09:38:35 pm »
Love it.

I have an Optimus normal 'primus' type paraffin stove, that is still in use.

It goes like a rocket, and will face down a petrol stove in a boil-off!
But also totally controllable by letting off the pressure, or pumping it up.

Everyone needs to learn how to use a proper primed paraffin stove!
It's an education by fire if you get it wrong, and pump it up to soon and send liquid paraffin out the jet causing a 10-foot high yellow flare.
Which will set your tent on fire if you are foolish enough to try this in the bell-end as an inexperienced primunaut.

But it is a wee bit wind-sensitive.

David Martin

« Reply #791 on: 07 September, 2012, 09:41:19 pm »
I must try to find it. I think my dad had it to do some silver soldering on the tank (which I now have the capability to do and a stick of silver solder somewhere). It is definitely an outdoors and a long way away from anything remotely flammable tool though.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #792 on: 07 September, 2012, 10:22:44 pm »
If this these threads have taught me anything it's this: some people get their kicks jumping out of perfectly good aeroplanes.  Others enjoy burning petrol when far more sensible alternatives exist...   ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #793 on: 07 September, 2012, 10:42:13 pm »
It can burn a 5l pot of porrige before the top is even noticeably warm.

In my experience of porridge-making, which is reasonably extensive, it takes a modicum of care and effort not to burn any quantity of porridge on a naked flame. 5 litres of the stuff is asking for trouble.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewclark/7875719102/sizes/m/in/set-72157631278357270/ shows the desired technique.  O:-)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Feanor

« Reply #794 on: 07 September, 2012, 10:42:52 pm »
But these babies burn *paraffin*.
(Jet A-1 also works well.)

It's not at all like burning petrol.
Petrol burns easily.

Paraffin requires the skill and finesse of one who knows how to prime the stove, and can tell when the loop has vapourised and can begin to pump up the pressure.   This truly is a skill that is learnt with the removal of eyebrows.

Paraffin stoves are truly in the 733t category.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #795 on: 07 September, 2012, 10:46:44 pm »
I duuno, I'm all for a bit of pyromania.  It's just that I'd rather keep that separate from cooking.  Especially near a tent.

David Martin

« Reply #796 on: 07 September, 2012, 10:58:48 pm »
Hmm.. I have a slight aversion to setting fire to things that which shouldn't be on fire. This includes at one point a minibus that shouldn't have been set alight. And a few other incidents and eyebrows.

Paraffin stoves are the preserve of the elite. None of this simple stuff but the real chance to have major conflagrations. And to scare the beejesus out of the novices. I'm probably foolish enough now to risk a  primus within 20m of a tent. If I had one.  The petrol versions also require a bit of preheating but nowhere near the same grade of knack.

Feanor

« Reply #797 on: 07 September, 2012, 11:13:44 pm »
There is a deep pleasure in being able to work a old brass primus stove.

It's not difficult, but just requires a bit of learning.
And a bit of experience.

Once you have mastered it, they are both fearsomly hot, and also superbly controllable.

I'm an old enough hand at this that I will light a cold primus in the bell-end of a tent if it's windy.   But the outer flysheet must be open enough to allow me to throw the thing into orbit if it flares up.

rogerzilla

« Reply #798 on: 09 September, 2012, 06:05:13 pm »
Personally I wouldn't light paraffin in my bell-end, but the Pikes will do all sorts of things in the name of a good show.

David Martin

« Reply #799 on: 15 September, 2012, 06:51:28 pm »
The experience you get with a primus is usually just after you really needed it..