Author Topic: Learning to swim/improving swimming  (Read 82789 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Learning to swim/improving swimming
« Reply #300 on: 29 December, 2014, 03:06:32 pm »
Coach said I had improved during the session, but it's really easy to improve when you're starting from next to nothing. Improving from where I am now will be the hard bit!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #301 on: 30 December, 2014, 08:20:26 am »
Can't lift my arms today.  ;D

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #302 on: 03 January, 2015, 05:11:30 pm »
I just about cracked a basic not-drowning competence in butterfly when I had swimming lessons 7 or 8 years back - and actually managed a length of full stroke 'fly before I got one of front crawl done!  The most I ever did was two lengths of the 25m pool, and it wasn't brilliant, but for those brief moments when I got it right it felt bloody amazing.

Also, I'm still quite smug that I learned it when I was about 7 months pregnant.

« Reply #303 on: 04 January, 2015, 08:51:55 pm »
Got back into swimming in the autumn when i joined a gym.  I do 10 mins on the bike, then 10 mins on the rowing machine, then half an hour in the pool.  I will give the running machine another go soon - it unnerved me when I forgot it didn't stop when I did and I went shooting off the back..

I used to be able to do butterfly but that was in the days when I could swim in a not very crowded pool.  Now I don't bother, I'd scare too many people!  Same goes for back-stroke.

I would have thought most people cand swim breaststroke for far longer than they can swim crawl.

Crawl is the most efficient stroke for me by far I managed c. 5 miles in the sea a few years ago using crawl.  It would have taken too long with breast stroke.  I love swimming in the breakers using crawl, i just plunge straight through.   
Move Faster and Bake Things

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #304 on: 10 January, 2015, 01:03:41 pm »
Just booked myself into a Scottish Swimming Skills & Drills class next weekend.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #305 on: 17 January, 2015, 07:38:02 pm »
That was quite good. Didn't cover much mileage in the hour, only about 700 metres, but did lots of work on body position, kick and rotation for front crawl. Then while the group did breaststroke I did back crawl, and she said my body position is good but my arms need work. I could have told her that!  ;D

Edinburgh Leisure's coaching coordinator was there so I spoke to him about some more 1-1 butterfly coaching and got his email address to follow up.

:D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #306 on: 15 February, 2015, 04:05:15 pm »
Still no 1-1 coaching available, but we did some butterfly in class on Friday, using pool fins. Other class members described my kick as very graceful which makes me think they know nothing about butterfly kick or grace! I'm still tending to be too deep under the water which makes getting my arms out impossible. I love doing the kick wearing fins though. In my head, I'm Marine Boy.  ;D

« Reply #307 on: 16 February, 2015, 11:18:53 am »
I'm swimming as part of my Jantastic, and usually I do it on a Friday.
Monday at my gym appears to be swimming day. I'm a crap swimmer, but you, skinny girl, should be sitting home eating chocolate not aiming at me with your spear-like front crawl. Be-atch.

(Alternative insults are available for different body shapes and swimming styles. Somewhere else on the internet skinny girl is whingeing about whale-woman who should be jogging somewhere rather than floating pathetically up and down the pool taking up far too much space).

simonp

« Reply #308 on: 22 April, 2015, 03:24:44 pm »
What do we call swimming-faster-than-anyone-else-in-the-pool-in-the-medium-lane guy?

I have been swimming a couple of times a week at lunch time. 1000m each time.

I've progressed from 1:1 crawl:breast stroke to 2:1 to 12:4 to 16:4 and now 1000m of crawl uninterrupted. Three times so far. It was a hard slog on Thursday. It was even harder on Monday (post Audax fatigue). It was relatively easy today. Before the weight training I've been doing, none of this would have been possible, due to insufficient shoulder/arm strength.

Time to start upping the distance, I think.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #309 on: 22 April, 2015, 08:09:43 pm »
What do we call swimming-faster-than-anyone-else-in-the-pool-in-the-medium-lane guy?
That depends on whether he should be in the fast lane or the overtakees should be in the slow lane.

« Reply #310 on: 22 April, 2015, 08:52:49 pm »
It's an interesting one.  I'm recovering from surgery for a broken elbow and went swimming for the first time in about ten years yesterday.  There are three lanes (slow, medium and fast) at our pool in the lane swimming sessions.  I've always been a reasonable swimmer and started off in the fast lane.  I quickly realised that I had lost a lot of my already puny upper body stuff and was about to move over to the medium lane when a bloke crashed into me.  When we got to the turn he expostulated (though I doubt if he knew that's what he was doing), telling me I should have been on the outside, so that people could overtake on the inside.  I explained that I was on the outside.  He was doing backstroke and had no idea where anyone was.  I think this is quite a common problem, isn't it, like protocols at mini-roundabouts?  The medium lane was right for me but I was shocked at how much strength I'd lost!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #311 on: 22 April, 2015, 09:36:23 pm »
It'll come back.  Don't push the swimming too much at first and concentrate on technique to avoid making the elbow wibble - or other bits as you compensate.  And Do Your Physio!  If they haven't referred you for physio - nag until they do.

***This message was brought to you by the member of the fractured-radial-head club who thinks other people should learn from her mistakes***

simonp

« Reply #312 on: 22 April, 2015, 11:18:15 pm »
That depends on whether he should be in the fast lane or the overtakees should be in the slow lane.

I'd have voted for him in the fast lane and the lady doing breast stroke in the slow lane then I'd have had the medium lane to myself. (Obviously).

Some in the fast lane were slower than him. Trouble is they were probably there first.

« Reply #313 on: 23 April, 2015, 12:00:42 am »
It'll come back.  Don't push the swimming too much at first and concentrate on technique to avoid making the elbow wibble - or other bits as you compensate.  And Do Your Physio!  If they haven't referred you for physio - nag until they do.

***This message was brought to you by the member of the fractured-radial-head club who thinks other people should learn from her mistakes***

Cheers, Kat - your advice is appreciated, especially as I am somewhat compulsive about exercise!  I am doing my physio (had my second appointment today).  The physio thinks things are going well, though he warns I may not get full movement back - though it could happen.  Guitar playing is a genuine pain and not just for the listener!  I think I may finally be developing maturity because after an achey night, I decided not to go swimming today but leave the next session till Friday.  Physio says swimming is fine (I didn't tell him I'm an idiot - I know how to get the answers I need!).

Thanks again

Peter

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #314 on: 23 April, 2015, 08:03:22 am »

I'd have voted for him in the fast lane and the lady doing breast stroke in the slow lane then I'd have had the medium lane to myself. (Obviously).

Some in the fast lane were slower than him. Trouble is they were probably there first.
If he was faster than some people in the fast lane, he should have been in the fast lane.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #315 on: 22 May, 2015, 10:21:31 pm »
The thing about doing butterfly with pool fins on is when coach makes you take them off, your real feet are rubbish.

« Reply #316 on: 22 May, 2015, 10:43:57 pm »
I don't need flippers  ,  I can just about squeeze my feet in to size 51 cycle shoes .  My hands are like shovels . When i use to (work)x pose  as a pool attended . no one would race me doing life guard back kick un fair advantage they reckoned.  xxx marine boy formally known as  canny colin     
Its More Fun With Three .

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #317 on: 20 July, 2015, 09:59:40 pm »
I had another butterfly lesson tonight. My abs hurt. Ouch.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #318 on: 21 July, 2015, 05:47:41 pm »
I think I've trapped my ulnar nerve. Tingly!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #319 on: 12 September, 2015, 12:14:55 pm »
I have some days off coming up, and I've booked two 1-1 coaching sessions to keep working on my butterfly. Turns out the coach who's doing them also coaches the Scotland squad. *intimidated*

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #320 on: 14 September, 2015, 02:15:06 pm »
I intend to start swimming again.

I'm never sure why I stop because I find it the best start to the day imaginable ("Early Bird" sessions from 7-8am).  There's definitely an inertia I need to overcome.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #321 on: 14 September, 2015, 06:21:14 pm »
After my back operation last March now my physio wants me to go swimming “What I haven't been swimming for years if I want to go on the water I take my kayak” anyway next week I'm having a go hopefully I haven't forgotten what to do.

« Reply #322 on: 16 September, 2015, 12:30:16 am »
Got back into swimming last September when MiniGB started school and I had Friday to myself...

Started off doing 1:1 crawl:breaststroke and slowly moved to 2:1, 3:1, 4:1 and then all crawl.

Sep 2014: 264m, 515m, 666m
Oct 2014: 931m, 980m, 1229m, 1440m
Nov 2014: 1552m, 1465m, 2163m, 1265m, 1176m
Dec 2014: 2600m, 490m, 1532m
Jan 2015: 1199m, 2352m, 490m, 2927m
Feb 2015: (holidays), 1264m
Mar 2015: 2716m, 1665m, 462m, 4137m, 2597m, 1332m
Apr 2015: 5128m, 4578m, 4462m
May 2015: 4841m

(Pool then almost shutdown for refurbishment, I could never go when it was open to everyone and so I stopped).

Luckily I can channel my inner Audaxer when swimming and spend 1h30 in a pool doing endless lengths without getting bored.

Back onto it now after those 4 months off and all stamina has gone:-

Sep 2015: 441m, 686m

After both of those I was utterly knackered (mind you, I did do the first 100m of each swim in ~85s, way too fast as my pacing has gone).

Had swimming coaching for years when I was younger and competed for the county aged 12/13 and luckily the technique seems to have stayed with me. Those big swims (4k+) were done at an average of 115s/100m (just pull, no kicking, all of them done with a pull buoy between my legs). Seem to have the lung capacity for it too as I only need to breathe every 4 strokes (always used to have to breathe every 3 when younger).

Should be back up to 5k swims by Jan, and hopefully 10k a week total volume (5k, 3k faster, 2k of drills)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #323 on: 18 September, 2015, 11:47:51 am »
Just did a 30 minute butterfly lesson. He made me do a 25m length of butterfly kick on my back, while balancing a cup of water on my head. Didn't spill a drop!

« Reply #324 on: 29 September, 2015, 12:22:47 am »
I went to my local pool last year with the intention of going swimming as another form of winter exercise. Went with a friend who used to be a lifeguard / instructor and had a good session. At the end I had even managed to swim a length, only 25m but still a length. My intentions came to nothing as I have not been since.

However, another winter is rapidly approaching and I am thinking once more of the pool. I lack confidence in the water but if I can overcome my fear I want to swim. I can be a swimmer, I know I can.