Author Topic: Learning to swim/improving swimming  (Read 82530 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Learning to swim/improving swimming
« Reply #325 on: 30 September, 2015, 12:34:14 pm »
Are there any group lessons for beginners in your area? There are lots of adult beginners. and you might find it easier to increase your confidence in a group setting with a good teacher. I can't imagine how scary it must be to learn to swim as an adult, so chapeau to anyone who does it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #326 on: 30 September, 2015, 11:49:35 pm »
There are lessons for adult beginners at our local pool. I must give it a go. Might just try on my own and see if I can build a little confidence. I want to do it but am really nervous.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #327 on: 09 December, 2015, 09:03:33 pm »
Had my first attempt at swimming in a loooong time tonight. I used to train with a swimming club when I was a kid, but packed it in when I was in my early teens. Since then, I've probably only been in a pool about five times in about fifteen years, and not at all for at least five, for various body-confidence reasons.

Anyway, on a bit of a whim tonight I cycled over to my local pool. I even had to buy some swimming shorts when I got there because the ones on the bottom of the wardrobe had no chance of fitting me. Anyway, I lost count of how many lengths I managed but I was in the pool for about an hour. Stuck to breaststroke as that's pretty much all I feel confident with - I tried one 25m length of front crawl but struggled with pacing it comfortably.

I actually really enjoyed it, even though I'm knackered now and my knee feels a little stiff. I'm going to try a few more pay-as-you-go swims between now and Christmas, then maybe sign up for a membership in the new year - I'd like to get into a habit of swimming twice a week if I take to it.

Edit: turns out Milton Road is a 33m pool, not a 25m pool. I clearly wasn't paying attention, but at least it explains why I'm knackered!

essexian

« Reply #328 on: 02 January, 2016, 09:36:19 am »
Oh....it seems I have forgotten how to swim....  :facepalm:

Looking back to my records, it seems the last time I went swimming was the 8th Feb 2014 when I did 1 100m  in just over 51 minutes. So, I was not surprised when I was a little slower during my post Christmas swim but 400m in 18 minutes 51 sec is worse than I could have thought!

Feeling quite miserable about this, I have signed up for some coaching and tried again this morning managing 800m in 38min 26. That's still VERY slow! One final thing I notice is that whereas I used to be able to do 200m and then rest, I am now resting after every 50m.

I suppose my swim fitness will come back but I do seem to have gone backwards very quickly.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #329 on: 02 January, 2016, 07:27:58 pm »
Today was my first swim in a month and I am appalled by how out of condition I am.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #330 on: 04 January, 2016, 10:05:59 pm »
I actually really enjoyed it, even though I'm knackered now and my knee feels a little stiff.

Had a few more swims since this, including a trip to the pool yesterday morning. My right knee is now very sore. Bum. Only when I bend it, but it's fine bearing weight, and it's just on the inside of my knee just below the kneecap.

Any tips from the swimmers on how to help it heal, besides ibuprofen and rest? I'm guessing prevention is "less breaststroke" in future :(

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #331 on: 05 January, 2016, 12:22:41 pm »
If your knee is sore after breaststroke, you might benefit from some coaching to improve your kick technique.

essexian

« Reply #332 on: 06 January, 2016, 02:20:52 pm »
First, the good news.... I seem to be getting back to being able to swim reasonably okay in that I have took 2 minutes off my 800m time this lunchtime.

The bad news is that I now have a very sore hip from where some **** kicked me whilst attempting to "swim."  One day I will be able to afford my own pool so won't have to share with such people. Sorry, I know this is a rant but it hurts still 2 hours later.

« Reply #333 on: 06 January, 2016, 03:34:01 pm »
I actually really enjoyed it, even though I'm knackered now and my knee feels a little stiff.

Had a few more swims since this, including a trip to the pool yesterday morning. My right knee is now very sore. Bum. Only when I bend it, but it's fine bearing weight, and it's just on the inside of my knee just below the kneecap.

Any tips from the swimmers on how to help it heal, besides ibuprofen and rest? I'm guessing prevention is "less breaststroke" in future :(

Sounds like a screw kick where your feet/legs are not in the correct position.  Quick google shows this video which seems quite good!  (I'm ex Scottish and GB junior squad butterfly and IM).

Go get some lessons to get this sorted or the pain will get worse. 

Try to do front crawl leg kicks with a float until it recovers and once healed, alternate strokes.

Paul

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #334 on: 07 January, 2016, 09:05:53 am »
Thanks Paul and EG. From looking elsewhere I reckon I'm "whip kicking" rather than "frog kicking", which I think is what's causing the discomfort in my knee - just as a motion my knees are really not used to doing.

I went back to the pool last night and really tried to concentrate on slowing down and making sure I frog kick rather than whip kick, and it seems to have made a decent improvement. My next aim is to get a bit of fitness and a bit more mileage in the pool and then maybe look at joining a masters team for some coaching and a bit of a social side.

ian

« Reply #335 on: 07 January, 2016, 12:19:46 pm »
Yes, I have to be careful to keep the kick under control, it's easy to start 'flicking' out and twisting and overextending the knee. I also alternate between front crawl and breaststroke, one length of each, which breaks things up.

I did another couple of sessions at the 50m Olympic pool over the holidays. Now back in the local 25 metre pool. It's so short, I'm forever bloody well turning and avoiding listing-to-starboard grannies and Mr Bloody Rotavator and his whirling arms.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #336 on: 14 January, 2016, 03:14:29 pm »
It's a while since I have swum but it seems the 33m pool is in decline and 50m pools are a rarity.

Wowbagger posted elsewhere his disappointment that he only had a 25m pool in Southend.

The twin 33m pools at Swiss Cottage are no more.

How long is your local pool?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #337 on: 14 January, 2016, 03:26:11 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_long_course_swimming_pools_in_the_United_Kingdom refers.

It seems that a proper Olympic size pool is 50m * 25m. There are 33 pools which are 50m * 18m. That would do, I reckon: I wouldn't think that the budding olympic athlete would care about how wide the pool is as long as they didn't have to turn every 25m.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

essexian

« Reply #338 on: 14 January, 2016, 03:38:30 pm »
The Stafford pool is 25m by I would think 15m, whereas Cannock is the same length but is narrower. The pool I am having my "coaching" sessions is (Penkridge) is 17m by about 8m. The only 50m pool I have ever swam in was Corby and it seemed to be MASSIVE!

Talking about Coaching, I had my first session last friday when "Coach Carol" told me that despite the fact that I can travel 800 to 1200m in the water, I can't actually swim....! It seems my arm pull is all wrong and my leg kick belongs to something other than a swimmer.

So, on Tuesday and earlier today I went to the pool to try out what she had shown me and frankly I have no idea what I am doing and could hardly make any progress down the pool. I do feel I have gone backwards and simply don't have the required coordination. It really has knocked my confidence and makes me wonder if I should bother going for more coaching.

When I talked to CBH about this I was told not to be so stupid...very supporting eh... and that the coach knows what she is talking about and over time it will all become clear. I am sure CBH is right but it doesn't feel like that at the moment.

Oh...and the person who kicked me last week was in the pool today. Strangely they kept well away from me today!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #339 on: 14 January, 2016, 04:02:35 pm »
Strikes me that if you can make successful forward progress of several hundred metres in water without drowning, you must be swimming, albeit with a technique that does not please your coach.
I can't imagine your coach to have a similar shape to yours and some movements aren't possible.
I know my technique improved by just doing the distance. Lots of practice and repetition improved my efficiency.
I never was going to be an Olympic swimmer (but I was happy to do up to 100 x 33 metre lengths of breaststroke).
Keep swimming!

JJ

« Reply #340 on: 14 January, 2016, 04:26:02 pm »
"Coach Carol" told me that ... I can't actually swim....!

(Speaking as a coach) It sounds to me as if she was trying to say you've got plenty to work on, but chose rather unfortunate words to express that.

The good news is that, with plenty to work on, you've a good chance of making rapid progress!  I'd suggest trying to filter out the negative language and focus on the drills, drills, and more drills that will surely be suggested!

Enjoy learning!

« Reply #341 on: 14 January, 2016, 04:40:53 pm »
It's a while since I have swum but it seems the 33m pool is in decline and 50m pools are a rarity.

Wowbagger posted elsewhere his disappointment that he only had a 25m pool in Southend.

The twin 33m pools at Swiss Cottage are no more.

25m
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #342 on: 14 January, 2016, 04:50:16 pm »
Swindon seems to be overrun with swimming pools. I think there's at least four just in the ex-council group I'm a member of - the pool at the Link centre is 25m and Milton Road is 33m. Oasis isn't even square, and I've no idea about Dorcan but I'd guess 25m.

ian

« Reply #343 on: 14 January, 2016, 06:13:53 pm »
The Ladywell one used to be 33 metres, but they knocked that down and replaced with a 25 metre minnow. Mine is a 25 metre but I sometimes swim in the Nuffield Health sports centre in Bloomsbury and that has a teeny 20 metre pool. I used to live near Crystal Palace which has a 50 metre pool but it had an ever shifting schedule and series of excuses not to be open, so I ended up going to the pool in Beckenham. It was useless for daily swimming. Back when I used to work aboard a mothership all the time I used to go to the Oasis which boasts a lovely 25 metre outdoor pool. Before you get too excited, it's overlooked by council flats. It used to nice on winter evenings, swimming through the fog-like steam and swirling lights. I'm quite surprised it wasn't overrun by pirates

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #344 on: 14 January, 2016, 06:48:19 pm »
I think that the old outdoor Chelmsford pool I failed to learn to swim in (I learned to swim in the sea when on a family holiday in Pembrokeshire in 1965) when I was at primary school may have been 50m, but I'm not sure. It was always bloody cold.

The only heated indoor 50m pool I have swum in was at Millfield School. I spent about an hour floundering around in it and had it completely to myself. God knows how much it cost to heat it, given that this was the August holidays and there were no students or staff on site.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #345 on: 14 January, 2016, 06:53:12 pm »
Before the Sydney Olympics, the British swim team were training in Queensland and there was an interesting comparison. The Gold Coast alone had more 50m pools than all of Britain.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #346 on: 14 January, 2016, 06:59:02 pm »
When I was a youngster, Southampton had a 36 and 2/3 yards long pool (3 lengths to 110 yards, so 48 to the mile-not that I ever managed that in one go).
There was also a 20m pool attached to one of the training colleges. The 20m pool cost a tenth of the big pool. In terms of just getting people to learn to swim, it would have made much more sense to have more smaller pools. And we couldn't even use the big one for official galas as it wasn't metric.
(Didn't stop us having the best swimming club in the country at the time, though)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #347 on: 14 January, 2016, 07:24:00 pm »
I swim in the same 25m pool as Adam Peaty (he probably spends more time a Loughbrough Uni).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #348 on: 15 January, 2016, 12:34:07 am »

The University are in the process of molishing a shiny new just-under-50m pool within not-worth-getting-a-bike-out-for distance of here.  Much noise was made at the planning stage of it being Birmingham's first Olympic sized pool, but (in a turnout won't shock anyone familiar with barakta's rants) it seems that somebody forgot to allow for the thickness of the grout or something and it's fallen slightly short of the Olympic specification.  It appears that hasty re-wording of all the promotional material is cheaper than doing it properly.

« Reply #349 on: 15 January, 2016, 06:59:56 am »
But did they remember the mass of the water so they could actually fill it? I seem to remember a previous pool there which was dry for lack of support structures.