Author Topic: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday CANCELLED  (Read 65519 times)

Martin

Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday CANCELLED
« on: 30 January, 2012, 10:59:09 pm »
before you all fill up your calendars or arrange to do Arrows up to the Frozen North; a nice easy (but see caveat down thread about wind) pan flat 200; taking it all the way up to The Wash this year, and promise no Tescos car parks,

ignore the post card finish; there will be a pub somewhere as an alternative

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/12-555/

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Re: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2012, 11:39:49 am »
Hmm. This'll make a good candidate for my RRTY, plus it is in an interesting part of the world. I think I might broach with The Present Mrs the subject of me and the bike disappearing over Easter for a day or so.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2012, 03:54:58 pm »
I will be entering the event again this year. But will try my hardest to follow the OUT route out this time and save myself 30k extra in going in before out  ::-)
Really enjoyed it last year but was strongly tiring guess no slopes to freewheel down.

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2012, 01:51:42 pm »
Route sheet and gpx updated on the calendar page following yesterday's sporting route check
(block headwind from Holbeach for 80km to the finish) suggest you make your peleton buddies now if it's like that on the day...

quite a few daffodil bulbfields out but there will be loads more on the day

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/12-555/

much improved route from last year with no horrible outskirts of Kings Lynn (cycle route all the way along the river into the historic centre instead) and a nice view of the Wash after Sutton Bridge

look out for Moulton windmill (just before Springfields) too; a Dutch masterpiece  :)

« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2012, 02:24:56 pm »
I'm doing this ride,my first 200 this year,looking forward to it!

« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2012, 04:21:29 pm »
I'm doing this too. Only second 200, and hopefully the 1st I'll finish in daylight.

Shame the train service from Cambridge is rubbish so I will be driving to Huntingdon (not up for a 260k ride yet)

I will be making a few sacrifices to the god of winds between now and then  ;D

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #6 on: 18 March, 2012, 10:11:10 am »
I am riding this one. Old guy ( this will be my first 200 after a very significant birthday -- starts with a 7!!) on a titanium frame Zerofour - probably wearing a LEL top - if anyone wants to say Hi
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #7 on: 19 March, 2012, 03:36:44 pm »
Duck and trusty Mad Weeble will in attendance again...

« Reply #8 on: 19 March, 2012, 08:42:16 pm »
Not sure I will be around this week end atm but...  Martin where are you placing end control?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: 19 March, 2012, 09:00:20 pm »
Ok you have it sorted good. That does beg the questions as to should I be doing the ride but that is a question for another day thinks. Incidentally there is a what looks to be pretty good camping site down the road in Brampton (only a couple of miles away from the start which you may wish to consider)

http://www.willowscaravanpark.com/page.php?domain_name=willowscaravanpark.com&viewpage=home
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: 19 March, 2012, 09:41:25 pm »
Mrs D and I are making a short weekend of this, staying at the Premier Inn on A1/A14 junction (should be nice and peaceful there!) - she will visit Anglesey Abbey and probably do a walk around Hemmingford Grey while I ride DD200.  For the first year in quite a few (apart from the year I broke my pelvis) I'm not riding Dorset Coast.  This is my alternative for RRTY - talk about sublime and ridiculous!  I think Abbotsbury Hill alone has more climbing than this entire ride.

Martin

« Reply #11 on: 20 March, 2012, 10:38:14 am »
a co route checker used the ferry across from Kings Lynn to West Lynn; 80p single. He said it didn't save any time but was fun;

Best refreshments were the Lloyds No1 bar in the main square; definitely worth the extra few 100m,  will hand out a map on the day

« Reply #12 on: 27 March, 2012, 10:05:08 pm »
I've entered :thumbsup:

I'm hoping that it will suit this flatlander. I know the road back from Spalding, from several Hitchin-Huntingdon-Spalding-Skegness rides. However, I'm worried about the Ramsey Bergland, the Mont de Whittlesey and the nearby bridge over the Wash which, IIRC, rises to a height of at least 1m.

« Reply #13 on: 03 April, 2012, 01:01:08 pm »
Well according to the met office its not going to be a shorts and t-shirt job. The ride out to Lynn looks like it could be hard work with average winds speeds of 15 mph with gusts of 30mph coming straight off the North Sea.

Thinking about packing a spinnaker for a peddle free ride from Spalding to Huntingdon.  ;D

Martin

« Reply #14 on: 03 April, 2012, 01:07:53 pm »
Well according to the met office its not going to be a shorts and t-shirt job. The ride out to Lynn looks like it could be hard work with average winds speeds of 15 mph with gusts of 30mph coming straight off the North Sea.

Thinking about packing a spinnaker for a peddle free ride from Spalding to Huntingdon.  ;D

just like last year but without the glorious sunshine. It won't spoil the view up past Guys Head lighthouses

NB finish control is in the car park of the George Hotel Huntingdon (last instruction on route sheet before station), will watch your bikes while you re-hydrate  :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 03 April, 2012, 01:10:12 pm »
Haven't convinced HK to do this one yet. We'll see what happens.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #16 on: 03 April, 2012, 01:58:01 pm »
Tell her I'm in - that should make her mind up - one way or the other - who knows !!!
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #17 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:07:09 pm »
Has anyone seen news of problems (maintenance work) on the trains from King's Cross on Saturday?

Martin

« Reply #18 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:24:14 pm »
Has anyone seen news of problems (maintenance work) on the trains from King's Cross on Saturday?

looks like fast trains to HUN are OK; check intermediate stations

« Reply #19 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:36:12 pm »
I'm at an intermediate station...

Martin

« Reply #20 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:38:39 pm »
looks like you'll have to ride to Biggleswade  :( or smile sweetly at the bus driver (but will probably take you longer than riding)

« Reply #21 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:52:31 pm »
Yes, I'll work it out...

« Reply #22 on: 04 April, 2012, 11:18:26 pm »
I've managed to download a revised timetable.

As far as I can make it out, on Saturday, buses replace northbound trains on the Cambridge line only (I'm in Hitchin, which is the junction). I'll be able to get my planned Peterborough train up and arrive about half an hour before the event :thumbsup:

In the early hours of Sunday, buses start to replace trains on the Peterborough line.

Southbound, trains don't stop at intermediate stations between Biggleswade and Stevenage, with buses running between these. Going home, I can do some extra miles by hopping out at Biggleswade or, more likely, over-shoot to Stevenage and ride the five miles home.

Not too bad :)

« Reply #23 on: 04 April, 2012, 11:38:51 pm »
It's always good to say hello to new faces and match them to names. I'll almost certainly be in the white, yellow and blue of Hitchin Nomads on a light blue (steel is the real deal) Dawes.

« Reply #24 on: 05 April, 2012, 08:15:24 pm »
Yes, its always nice to meet up with new people, even if it is only at the start before they vanish into the distance ;D

I will also be riding a steel machine, which should not be easy to miss as its likely to be the only stealth black Rohlhoff geared bike in the station car park.

Weather forecast looking a little better wind wise, but its going to be cold one so a good incentive to peddle faster.