Author Topic: Lost in translation - programs to watch in their original  (Read 1389 times)

Lost in translation - programs to watch in their original
« on: 22 March, 2022, 05:00:24 pm »
I thought I'd call out a couple of Netflix shows I've been watching in the original. I keep subtitles running but mostly they show showed up the shortcomings of that plus also, as I haven't been out of this ***** country for a couple of years  it helps keep my ear into the language.

The two shows are Lupin, a smart take on "The Hustle" theme - crafty crook (singular in this instance) with morality runs rings around everyone - and Dix Pour Cent, translated into "Call My Agent" (a language fail from the start) - thrills and spills in a VERY Parisienne talent agency with real world stars playing themselves. I've noticed more differences in the languages in the second, the writing is better (although maybe not the plot) so you get things like a lead character - Andrea Martel - hating having her original name - Marteau - found and used (Marteau = hammer and, I suppose, a lower class name signifying workman's roots. Martel sounds like brandy). Or, where an actor and agent are in a bar, actor orders a glass of wine, barman "what will your friend have?, "He'll have ten per cent". I have to be honest they are pretty good at interpreting the generic French swear words like con, connerie, putain appropriately to the situation.

Anyways up. I thought some people might be interested, and maybe have other suggestions of foreign language shows to watch. German or Spanish are reasonably comfortable if somewhat rusty.

Re: Lost in translation - programs to watch in their original
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2023, 08:36:15 am »
Kleo needs to be added to this list. It's entertaining in the voice over version, but something jars. Listening in the original provides the context and makes me realise how rusty my German has got :(

Given that the voice over acting is good (and credible) it is astonishing how much difference it makes.

Re: Lost in translation - programs to watch in their original
« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2023, 09:44:14 am »
We are enjoying Dix Pour Cent

I don't speak french, but can pick out enough now and then to spot the jokes that haven't made it into the translation.
<i>Marmite slave</i>