Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 452376 times)

Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #3275 on: 15 January, 2016, 08:44:47 pm »
Just seen on Facebook that Kurt's dad died in his sleep last night.

That’s so sad.

My condolences to Kurt.

Chris S

« Reply #3276 on: 15 January, 2016, 08:44:55 pm »
With a decent decent  beer or three! !

That's a good point. I couldn't be Kurt; doing all that, just to finish in time for Dry January  :hand:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3277 on: 15 January, 2016, 08:51:16 pm »
With a decent decent  beer or three! !

That's a good point. I couldn't be Kurt; doing all that, just to finish in time for Dry January  :hand:

Chris, if you did we would all excuse you January and allow you a dry February instead!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3278 on: 19 January, 2016, 10:05:18 pm »
Alicia's video of the last day makes good viewing, not just for the brief name check for Clarion

https://www.facebook.com/tarzanrides/videos/1693567347551638/?theater

« Reply #3279 on: 19 January, 2016, 11:00:57 pm »
I enjoyed that, I heard a name-check for Andy Cox.

« Reply #3280 on: 20 January, 2016, 09:40:15 pm »
To quote Alicia

I was going through my notes and came across something that is important for anyone trying to go after this record.
It was during the summer in Wisconsin when Kurt was battling a cough (not knowing it was asthma or an elevated diaphragm) and also his energy was depleting since he had run out of SPIZ (his main nutrition and fuel). We were getting up very early to drive west so that he could take advantage of the strong winds blowing towards Lake Michigan. After a few days of less and less sleep, he was becoming weak and the screws started coming loose and he wasn't himself. Kurt didn't recognize it, but I did. Insisting he let me take him to Urgent Care, making him rest and getting him the nutrition he needed was something I had to almost forcefully do. This happened only few times along our journey, but I know he would have been in bad shape if he wasn't immediately taken care of. That is just one of many reasons why a support crew is essential.
Also, there was a day in Florida where I had to be away from Kurt for a few hours getting bikes repaired and go grocery shopping. We lost contact since our cell phones were not working in the area. It was a miserably hot day and he was riding out on remote and unfamiliar rural roads. I knew he had to be out of food and water. Hours and hours passed. I couldn't find him. If it wasn't for the SPOT tracker finally picking him up, I don't know how I would have found him. He was broiled (not to mention mad) by the time I did find him. It was awful. He was literally out in the middle of nowhere. His saving grace was that he told me he was able to scavenge some oranges he found on the ground. "Oh ok, so you survived on wild oranges?" ~ Alicia

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #3281 on: 21 January, 2016, 07:07:12 pm »
Right, numpty Q here.

The spreadsheet on the UMCA HAM'R site shows Kurt as achieving 76155.6 miles, more than the 76076 that was publicised.

What's the timeline on the process for validation, tick boxing on their numbers?  Still subject to review or is 76155 the new world record?

« Reply #3282 on: 21 January, 2016, 07:21:32 pm »
Right, numpty Q here.

The spreadsheet on the UMCA HAM'R site shows Kurt as achieving 76155.6 miles, more than the 76076 that was publicised.

What's the timeline on the process for validation, tick boxing on their numbers?  Still subject to review or is 76155 the new world record?

The spreadsheet only shows an automated grab from Strava, the files have not been verified as being unique or correct or anything else. Every few days the "official results" spreadsheet is updated with verified days riding. The current one dated for the 11th shows Kurt's rides up until the 4th Jan. Presumably the next update will be complete and confirm the "Official Record Distance".

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3283 on: 21 January, 2016, 07:26:44 pm »
remember that they've never verifiied a year record before, and it's a sh1tload of work! So we're all guessing at timescales.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #3284 on: 21 January, 2016, 07:32:03 pm »
Ah thank you.  The 'other' spreadsheet, got it.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #3285 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:07:41 am »
Quotes from faceache:
Quote from: Alicia Searvogel
That's what I'm doing - writing the book!
Not quite sure what that was a response to but it seems pretty clear anyway.

Also
Quote from: Chris Guevara
Are you taking all your notes and videao and photos to a documentarian to make this adventure into a film?
1 · 20 January at 13:33
Quote from: Alicia Searvogel
In the process of writing the book and going through all the footage I took. We'll see!
3 · 20 January at 13:36
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #3286 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:29:43 pm »
Steve and Kurt have now had their rides officially recognised by HAMR. see http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/75-065-miles-one-year-39240-14.html

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3287 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:44:05 pm »
That's good news.  And they make the point that Steve's record still stands as the age group record.

They get the handcycle bit wrong, mind ;D

So Steve was the UMCA overall record holder for a few minutes, if they were ratified at the same meeting.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3288 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:49:17 pm »
Well, he held the record for 9 days, since it took Kurt that extra time to finalise his distance for ratification.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3289 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:55:04 pm »
Has anyone updated Wikipedia yet? 
Getting there...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3290 on: 22 January, 2016, 03:15:31 pm »
Steve and Kurt have now had their rides officially recognised by HAMR. see http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/75-065-miles-one-year-39240-14.html

Good news - and that's a very interesting conversation...!

« Reply #3291 on: 22 January, 2016, 07:24:04 pm »
Guinness have approved Kurts record

« Reply #3292 on: 22 January, 2016, 07:31:52 pm »
Excellent news!  Congratulations! :thumbsup:

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3293 on: 22 January, 2016, 07:33:40 pm »
Great stuff  :thumbsup:

So all this talk that Guinness would not ratify it because of pacing was crap then?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #3294 on: 22 January, 2016, 07:39:51 pm »

So all this talk about Guinness would not ratify it because of pacing was crap then?

Probably....This is the interweb after all.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3295 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:35:13 pm »

So all this talk that Guinness would not ratify it because of pacing was crap then?

Well, their rules are down in black and white! But I imagine Guinness were prepared to accept UMCA's assurance that everything was done properly, and that therefore there was no need to apply further conditions retrospectively.

« Reply #3296 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:42:18 pm »

Well, their rules are down in black and white! But I imagine Guinness were prepared to accept UMCA's assurance that everything was done properly, and that therefore there was no need to apply further conditions retrospectively.

There's stuff on the VelocipedeSalon thread linked up there^^^ somewhere, a post from Drew Clark of the UMCA saying that they were talking to Guinness about UMCA records being recognised by the Big G.

One of the sticking points was, he said, that the UMCA wanted assurances that Guinness would not subsequently accept submissions of higher mileages which had not been independently verified.

simonp

« Reply #3297 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:44:55 pm »
Guinness have cycling records (unpaced) listed on their websites. Others without.

What does that suggest to you?

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3299 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:06:08 pm »

There's stuff on the VelocipedeSalon thread linked up there^^^ somewhere, a post from Drew Clark of the UMCA saying that they were talking to Guinness about UMCA records being recognised by the Big G.

One of the sticking points was, he said, that the UMCA wanted assurances that Guinness would not subsequently accept submissions of higher mileages which had not been independently verified.

So Guinness Records are all a bag of bollox and money talks?