Author Topic: Severn Across 400 - May 11  (Read 13109 times)

Re: Severn Across 400 - May 11
« Reply #25 on: 29 April, 2013, 09:34:24 pm »
and some good tips on where to get food at strange hours.

a) Stock up for the last stretch at Membury

b) The A4 alternative (B4000 through Wickham to A4 before Newbury, A4 all the way to Maidenhead and then wibble back up to Chalfont St Peter) has quite a few options for food; fast food in Reading or 24 hour petrol stations). It's flatter too but quite quite dull.

I assume that's still an option as there are no intermediate controls between Membury and the finish.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #26 on: 30 April, 2013, 12:47:23 pm »
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has a GPX that matches the issued routesheet? Also, don't like my forum name deceive are there any other full value riders on this one? Its my first 400k, eek.

« Reply #27 on: 30 April, 2013, 02:40:58 pm »
+1 in the full value stakes 

Coming with Phil W but only expect to see him at the start and finish

Hoping to duck under 24 hours, but will settle for getting round after suffering with the seemingly constant headwinds of the Cambridge 300.

Phil W

« Reply #28 on: 30 April, 2013, 07:49:49 pm »
We'll see, we'll see, I'm not a speed demon, somewhere in the middle  :D

I've created a gpx of this years route, an edit of an old track. I've sent it to Liam for sharing out. I'm pretty sure it matches, it passes all the controls anyway.

« Reply #29 on: 30 April, 2013, 08:56:23 pm »

I've created a gpx of this years route, an edit of an old track. I've sent it to Liam for sharing out. I'm pretty sure it matches, it passes all the controls anyway.

Just emailed it to all registered riders - thanks mate

« Reply #30 on: 01 May, 2013, 11:29:42 am »

If you don't mind camping there's Highclere Park. It's down the road from the start. I emailed them the other day and they have plenty of room. I haven't decided whether to ride there (90min) or take the tent. At the moment I'm leaning towards the extra milage!
[/quote]

Thanks I'll give it a go
Along the chill green slope that dips and heaves
The road runs rough and silent
 - Archibald Lampman

« Reply #31 on: 01 May, 2013, 01:39:13 pm »
Another 400km newbie.  Definitely full value: I'll be ecstatic if I get around in less than 24 hours.

I've done the DunRun "solo" so feel I have a decent understanding of overnight cycling and feeding myself when shops are shut, and I've just come back from Australia so I feel I'm ready for 24 hours sitting in some discomfort, with the benefit of not having to watch Les Miserables.  Of course, if there was someone to bring me a G&T everytime I pressed a button, that would be good.

I usually only bring a cafe lock on audaxes, but I assume something a little more robust will be required if I stop for a snooze at Membury?

Sunrise times for the weekend from http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=136&month=5&year=2013&obj=sun&afl=-13&day=1
AstronomicalNauticalCivil
DateTwilightTwilightTwilightSunriseSunset
startsendsstartsendsstartsends
May 11, 20132:25 AM11:33 PM3:40 AM10:15 PM4:34 AM9:21 PM5:15 AM8:40 PM
May 12, 20132:21 AM11:37 PM3:38 AM10:18 PM4:32 AM9:22 PM5:13 AM8:41 PM

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #32 on: 01 May, 2013, 01:43:13 pm »
Another 400km newbie.  Definitely full value: I'll be ecstatic if I get around in less than 24 hours.

You've 27 and a bit hours available - don't even think/worry about 24 hours on your first 400.  Use the time available!  400 is a tough distance and a heck of a leap up in terms of having to look after yourself on the road etc.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #33 on: 01 May, 2013, 01:55:13 pm »
I usually only bring a cafe lock on audaxes, but I assume something a little more robust will be required if I stop for a snooze at Membury?

I've never used anything more than a cafe lock at Membury. People usually bring their bikes inside and just stack them up under the escalator / near the toilets (from memory).

If you just want a quick stop at Membury then you can use the petrol station, it does coffee and sandwiches. For a snooze the main services cafeteria is much better.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #34 on: 01 May, 2013, 02:02:22 pm »
You've 27 and a bit hours available - don't even think/worry about 24 hours on your first 400.  Use the time available!  400 is a tough distance and a heck of a leap up in terms of having to look after yourself on the road etc.

I know that.  It's only because TNRTTP described him/herself as full value at 24 hours.

And Greenbank: thanks.  Perfect!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #35 on: 01 May, 2013, 02:15:46 pm »
Ah - I see above.  Apologies.  Yep - 24 hours is far from full-value.

Right! What's next?

« Reply #36 on: 07 May, 2013, 10:37:32 am »

I have tried to open the gpx Liam sent round. I am on Tracklogs 3.15. It says the version I am trying to open is unsupported. Has anyone else been successful?
O'LEL what have I done!

« Reply #37 on: 07 May, 2013, 10:42:38 am »
It went into Ridewithgps.com ok

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2438114

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #38 on: 07 May, 2013, 10:42:50 am »

I have tried to open the gpx Liam sent round. I am on Tracklogs 3.15. It says the version I am trying to open is unsupported. Has anyone else been successful?

yes, but only after importing it to ridewithgps.com, then exporting it back as a gpx track.

« Reply #39 on: 07 May, 2013, 11:10:50 am »
Just going through the route sheet (damn, just as the "final one arrived") and trying to decide which diversions I'll use (A4 home is almost certain, Yat Rock is a question).  But I've made one decision.   If I get any rat entrails on my leg - even a little - I'm calling my personal sag wagon and heading home.

(edit: fixed link, I hope)

« Reply #40 on: 07 May, 2013, 12:22:37 pm »
Just going through the route sheet (damn, just as the "final one arrived") and trying to decide which diversions I'll use (A4 home is almost certain, Yat Rock is a question).  But I've made one decision.   If I get any rat entrails on my leg - even a little - I'm calling my personal sag wagon and heading home.

(edit: fixed link, I hope)

The final one is really no different from the provisional sent last week.  My big panic came when Iddu discovered that the Severn Bridge was scheduled for closure this coming weekend... which cold have taken some of the fun out of the ride!  After ages on the phone I persuaded them to postpone the works even though it will mean massive damage to the economy of Wales so we're safe to ride.

The only changes are a shift in Tewkesbury control and the usual damaged sign - all changes marked in red on the sheet and no impact on GPS tracks.

Liam

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #41 on: 07 May, 2013, 03:57:31 pm »
My big panic came when Iddu discovered that the Severn Bridge was scheduled for closure this coming weekend... which could have taken some of the fun out of the ride!

Naw, just make it a duoathlon ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #42 on: 07 May, 2013, 08:36:47 pm »
It went into Ridewithgps.com ok

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2438114

Thanks for your help, "jobs a goodun!"
O'LEL what have I done!

JJ

« Reply #43 on: 07 May, 2013, 10:38:01 pm »

If anyone would email me a copy, I'd be very grateful.  John dot Juckes at tesco dot net

Thanks in advance!

« Reply #44 on: 08 May, 2013, 05:21:50 am »

If anyone would email me a copy, I'd be very grateful.  John dot Juckes at tesco dot net

Thanks in advance!

Sent

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #45 on: 08 May, 2013, 10:57:37 am »
Hi Folks,

Due to accommodation issues we are planning to cycle the 55km (most direct google maps walking route) too and from the event.  We heard about Extended Calendar Events (ECE) last weekend so am wondering if it's viable to make it up to 500km as an ECE and what we need to do?  If we complete the 400km calendar event on time, but are out of time on the ECE journey home part will it affect the points for the calendar event?

Cheers, A.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #46 on: 08 May, 2013, 11:08:40 am »
Hi Folks,

Due to accommodation issues we are planning to cycle the 55km (most direct google maps walking route) too and from the event.  We heard about Extended Calendar Events (ECE) last weekend so am wondering if it's viable to make it up to 500km as an ECE and what we need to do?  If we complete the 400km calendar event on time, but are out of time on the ECE journey home part will it affect the points for the calendar event?

Cheers, A.

bit on here - http://aukweb.net/diy/ece/
 and here - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=46498.msg919168#msg919168

I know that Martin has been having a little trouble with online entries (certainly when I did an ECE a couple of weeks ago anyway) - so worth Emailing him.

Failing on the ECE leg will not impact your calendar event no.  (unless you fail on the way there!).  It does mean you have to be quite confident about your riding speeds etc. - especially if you do a long 'to' leg (I rode a 180km leg to an event a couple of weeks ago - it would be easy to mess up and arrive either far too early (and then have wasted time forced on you as you can't move off until the event starts) or too late (in which case, the ride is over)). 

Definitely a fan of ECE now - enables you to rack up more miles, and still have a sociable ride with others in the middle, compared to (let's say) a solo DIY 500km. 
Right! What's next?

« Reply #47 on: 08 May, 2013, 11:59:49 am »
My last two audaxes have included ece. I fill in the online form, with just a mention of places I'll be going through, then email it, send the payment, and email Martin the gps route I'll be taking.

Chalfont is about 70k by bike, so I'm thinking of looping it to 100 (did that to Cirencester HoE 300), to make 600 overall (my first). I hate driving to places on my own, begrudge paying for diesel, and as a committed cyclist, feel I should cycle to starts (apart from the Dean).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #48 on: 08 May, 2013, 05:30:07 pm »
not in my wildest lolling in the comfy chair half cut do i consider riding the 60km to Chalfont St Peter for a 300, let alone a 400

JJ

« Reply #49 on: 08 May, 2013, 08:38:57 pm »