Author Topic: Forumite spotting  (Read 592156 times)

Re: Forumite spotting
« Reply #2350 on: 01 February, 2013, 01:13:20 pm »

Nothing properly broken - I just managed to not tighten the QR in the rear wheel enough when I put the wheel back on last night, so as soon as I tried to brake the wheel went forward in the dropouts. I think I manage to do this most times I remove the rear wheel - one day I might learn to tighten it properly! ::-)

If the dropout spacing of the frame is correct for the locknut dimensions of the wheel then removing  the wheel should only require the QR to be unlocked, the skewer/nut shouldn't need to be slackened at all. Simples!

Ah, it's not - it's a 135mm hub in a 130mm dropout. I can't get it out without slackening it off a bit, which doesn't help (haven't bothered cold setting it). Fortunately I don't remove the wheel that often...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2351 on: 01 February, 2013, 01:23:26 pm »
Phantas, I've got the requisite bit of threaded rod with big nuts and washers if you want to borrow it to cold set your frame.

« Reply #2352 on: 01 February, 2013, 06:59:44 pm »
Thanks - I've actually got all the stuff to cold set too, just haven't got round to it yet!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2353 on: 01 February, 2013, 07:14:26 pm »
The main component I lack for cold setting is the nerve. :-\
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2354 on: 04 February, 2013, 02:57:30 pm »
Shyumu, in the Den, for coffee and soup.  No cake.  He doesn't, y'see. 

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #2355 on: 05 February, 2013, 04:11:49 pm »
Shyumu, in the Den, for coffee and soup.  No cake.  He doesn't, y'see.

Great coffee.
Great soup.
Great company.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2356 on: 07 February, 2013, 06:44:12 am »
Ariadne, across six pages of Camping magazine.  An article on cycle camping, as well as her regular column. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2357 on: 09 February, 2013, 10:14:46 pm »
I saw Butterfly!

OK, not very surprising, but I thought she was heading to meet me on the train, so, realising it'd be quicker to ride over to meet her where she was, I met her cycling the other way! :thumbsup: :-*
Getting there...

« Reply #2358 on: 12 February, 2013, 06:00:13 pm »
Not sure of the identity, but spotted a buff wearing forummist drafting me around the Meadowhead Roundabout in Sheffield. You headed for the dual carriageway while I elected for the descent through Dronfield. I hailed "Ahh The Forum". You nodded sagely at my insight and wisdom.

Any ideas who you are?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2359 on: 15 February, 2013, 02:54:10 am »
Polar Bear in me office :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #2360 on: 16 February, 2013, 03:28:36 pm »
Bearded Audax dude in acf shorts and a BMB jersey in Cirencester Waitrose cafe this lunchtime, with three other audax dudes, one wearing redlight's Audax England jersey. Some fine touring bikery and Garmin/maptrappery on display outside. Hope you guys had a good day.

« Reply #2361 on: 17 February, 2013, 03:37:54 pm »
Sounds like Bairdy & Bike Mikey to me....
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #2362 on: 17 February, 2013, 04:32:47 pm »
Another confirmed sighting yesterday of el Bairdy and Mike, they were were crossing the Severn Bridge towards Wales on the Malmesbury Mash. I was going the other way, heading home with some lads from my club having been out slowing them down helping them train for their charity LEJoG. Here's the link to their page in case anyone is feeling flush! https://www.justgiving.com/end2end6daychallenge

« Reply #2363 on: 17 February, 2013, 09:59:11 pm »
We were pootling along as we do, when some fast types caught us up in their bunch.
I chatted, and it transpired they were on their reliability ride.

Next I hear "It's Chris & Lindsay!"

It was JJ. And lovely to see him. We've been DIY-ing a lot lately and have missed other people. It was nice to (fleetingly) catch up.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #2364 on: 18 February, 2013, 12:20:44 am »
Bearded Audax dude in acf shorts and a BMB jersey in Cirencester Waitrose cafe this lunchtime, with three other audax dudes, one wearing redlight's Audax England jersey. Some fine touring bikery and Garmin/maptrappery on display outside. Hope you guys had a good day.
Guilty as charged. Yes, thanks(*)...

Others were Phil Dyson, Andy Watt & David ? - not sure if the latter pair are OTP?

(*) Albeit as Phil says, Andy was just croozin ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #2365 on: 18 February, 2013, 08:32:12 am »
Others ...David ? - not sure if the latter pair are OTP?
Thats-a me, Brymbo.  OTP but, pedantically speaking, not in the very hot cafe, having chosen to dine al fresco.  I hope that my choice of chocolate bar and apple juice, to complement the Doritos bought in Wootton Bassett, still qualify me as an "audax dude" despite my lack of hirsuteness.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #2366 on: 18 February, 2013, 06:19:25 pm »
Bikey Mikey riding down the A46 slowly and enjoying the traffic.

I stopped down the road and got out of the car to shout encouragement  ;D

« Reply #2367 on: 20 February, 2013, 12:35:33 pm »
Bikey Mikey riding down the A46 slowly and enjoying the traffic.

I stopped down the road and got out of the car to shout encouragement  ;D

We will have to look out for his post in the 'oiks shouting at cyclists' thread :D

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2368 on: 20 February, 2013, 01:10:02 pm »
.... one wearing redlight's Audax England jersey.

So that's where it is! I thought I'd left it at work  ;)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2369 on: 21 February, 2013, 04:10:55 pm »
NOT spotted this morning: Jurek.

I was running a bit early this morning, so paused at a place I know Jurek can be spotted and hung around most of the time he's usually expected to pass through there. 

Yes, I know the above is the antithesis to this thread, but can't see the point in starting a separate "not spotted" thread.  If you feel the desire to throw rotten fruit at me, aim them (banananananas, preferably) instead at Jurek for running early/late.  :P
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2370 on: 21 February, 2013, 04:14:02 pm »
NOT spotted this morning: Jurek.

I was running a bit early this morning, so paused at a place I know Jurek can be spotted and hung around most of the time he's usually expected to pass through there. 

Yes, I know the above is the antithesis to this thread, but can't see the point in starting a separate "not spotted" thread.  If you feel the desire to throw rotten fruit at me, aim them (banananananas, preferably) instead at Jurek for running early/late.  :P

We already have one of those!

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=48641.0

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2371 on: 21 February, 2013, 04:20:17 pm »
 :facepalm:

Looks like thread resurrection time...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2372 on: 22 February, 2013, 11:51:57 pm »
Saw Bianchi Boy this evening just turning into Westwood Road in Tilehurst...as I was pulling out of it with caravan in tow ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2373 on: 23 February, 2013, 01:02:08 pm »
What sort of bike/gearing combo do you use to tow a caravan?
 ;D

ETA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAvHDaffU7s

is that you?

« Reply #2374 on: 23 February, 2013, 01:47:34 pm »
The ones in the car :thumbsup: