Author Topic: What are you SUPPOSED to be doing right now?  (Read 4816 times)

Re: What are you SUPPOSED to be doing right now?
« Reply #25 on: 23 August, 2019, 01:35:48 pm »
Sawing 12mm off the bottom of the new front door.  Can't even decide which saw to use ???
Handsaw.

Clamp a sacrificial fence to the door, and cut against it (it'll help keep the cut straight)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 23 August, 2019, 03:48:15 pm »
My vote's for circular saw, largely on the basis that for some reason my ability to cut in straight lines is an order of magnitude better[1] with them than it is with most of the obvious alternatives.

The clamping something to keep the cut straight advice would seem to be key, regardless of what tool you use.

[1] I'm suspicious that I may be channelling raw FEAR into steady-handedness.

« Reply #27 on: 23 August, 2019, 04:02:31 pm »
My vote's for circular saw, largely on the basis that for some reason my ability to cut in straight lines is an order of magnitude better[1] with them than it is with most of the obvious alternatives.

The clamping something to keep the cut straight advice would seem to be key, regardless of what tool you use.

[1] I'm suspicious that I may be channelling raw FEAR into steady-handedness.
I'd happily agree with you.
But, having recently had to perform said task and A) not being in possession of a circ saw and B) being unlikely to subsequently need one anytime soon ^ that was my solution (which, I'm happy to say, worked).

More of a concern for me was the the removal of the slotted brass screws, by which the door was hung, in 1930-something, covered with about 30 coats of gloss paint, without damaging them to the point at which they cannot be removed. Thus making the job an exponentially major pain.

However, I'm delighted to report that an impact driver, driven by a FB hammer rendered the task a surprisingly easy one.
The door went back in using steel Spax Pozidrive twin spiralled screws.
The brass ones went in the rin-tin-tin.
Mother is happy, her door closes over her new hall carpet, without making crop semi-circles in it.
My work here is done.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #28 on: 23 August, 2019, 04:04:46 pm »
Working...

...but soddit!  It’s the Friday before a long weekend. 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 23 August, 2019, 04:13:40 pm »
My vote's for circular saw[...]
But, having recently had to perform said task and A) not being in possession of a circ saw and B) being unlikely to subsequently need one anytime soon ^ that was my solution (which, I'm happy to say, worked).

Yeah, after many years of being unlikely to need one, and bodging things with jig saws and tenon saws and so on as they came up, I found myself making good use of one on nikki OTP's Fun Factory project.  After which I decided that life was too short for failing to cut in straight lines with a jig saw, and the next time I needed one, I sucked it up and bought one.  Haven't regretted it; still have all my fingers.  Like the RJ11 crimp tool, it's one of those things that you can be really smug about having next time.

« Reply #30 on: 23 August, 2019, 04:20:37 pm »
My vote's for circular saw[...]

Yeah, after many years of being unlikely to need one, and bodging things with jig saws and tenon saws and so on as they came up, I found myself making good use of one on nikki OTP's Fun Factory project.  After which I decided that life was too short for failing to cut in straight lines with a jig saw, and the next time I needed one, I sucked it up and bought one.  Haven't regretted it; still have all my fingers.  Like the RJ11 crimp tool, it's one of those things that you can be really smug about having next time.

Jig saws are the work of Stan, and useful for probably little more than making...... jigsaws (badly).
Tenon saws work surprisingly well.... for cutting tenons - kinda handy if you're building something held together with mortice and tenon joints.
RJ11 crimp tool.
I had to look this up.
Next up.... A google search for the justification of buying one.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 23 August, 2019, 04:29:14 pm »
RJ11 crimp tool.
I had to look this up.
Next up.... A google search for the justification of buying one.

I think mine was "because it might come in useful".  And, unsurprisingly, it has.  (Admittedly not so much since we banished most of the analogue telephony kit.)

Main use, apart from replacing damaged connectors and making up overspecced patch cables to maximise DSL performance, is being able to make up the *other* kind[1] of BT-plug-to-RJ11 cable when your box of irrevocably tangled random phone cables keeps turning up the wrong ones.

[1] Most devices (phones, modems, etc) using such a cable expect the line to be on the middle two pins on the RJ11 socket.  Except for the ones that connect the outer two.  Murphy's law is unreasonably strong with this one.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #32 on: 23 August, 2019, 04:44:51 pm »
Sauron had one.

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
    ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi
crimper tool.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #33 on: 23 August, 2019, 04:47:14 pm »
Sauron had one.

crimper tool.
You're going to have to help out here, mate....

Phil W

« Reply #34 on: 23 August, 2019, 04:49:38 pm »
Riding back from a successful PBP.

« Reply #35 on: 23 August, 2019, 04:56:03 pm »
I've just been a stay at home dad for 2 years. Now my daughter has gone to nursery full time, I'm back in the world of work, this is my first week back.  I was fettling the IP phone on my desk, just trying to get it to display my name rather than my predecessors'.  I accidentally fiddled with the wrong settings and knocked myself off the phone network, so rather than return the phone calls that came in when I was at a meeting, I've knocked myself off the network, lost all the voice messages that were stored on the system, and I thought sod it, I'll post on YACF instead.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 23 August, 2019, 05:46:29 pm »
This is exactly the sort of useful feature that lead me to abandoning as much analogue telephony kit as possible :)

« Reply #37 on: 23 August, 2019, 06:17:11 pm »
Sauron had one.

crimper tool.
You're going to have to help out here, mate....

T42's making a joke about the inscription on the One Ring:

The words of the ring-inscription are in Black Speech, a language devised by Sauron and used in the land of Mordor. The inscription reflects the One Ring's power to control the other Rings of Power. The writing uses Elvish letters (tengwar), in a mode (i.e. orthography) adapted to the Black Speech.

Normally the One Ring appeared perfectly plain and featureless, but when heated its inscription appeared in fiery letters.

Gandalf speaks the words in Black Speech in Book II, Chapter 2, "The Council of Elrond":

Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Translated, the words mean:

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Ring#Inscription

HTH
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #38 on: 23 August, 2019, 07:10:34 pm »
I don't have a circular saw and am disinclined to give Mr Screwfix forty of my pounds for something I'll probably only use once.  I do have one of these:

but it doesn't seem to be very keen on the whole cutting thing, which is a bit of a failing in a saw.  Probably wants a new blade.  So it'll probably be ye olde Sandvik and much perspiration.  Too hot to do it this afternoon though.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Chris S

« Reply #39 on: 23 August, 2019, 07:32:35 pm »
A workout on Zwift, but the ZwiftyPC has decided to subject itself to an update; and 30 minutes later we're at 23%.

If it's anything like my laptop, it'll take an hour to get to 37%, reboot and rollback.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 23 August, 2019, 07:36:14 pm »
A workout on Zwift, but the ZwiftyPC has decided to subject itself to an update; and 30 minutes later we're at 23%.

If it's anything like my laptop, it'll take an hour to get to 37%, reboot and rollback.

You might have to go for a bike ride?  :P

« Reply #41 on: 23 August, 2019, 07:38:08 pm »
I don't have a circular saw and am disinclined to give Mr Screwfix forty of my pounds for something I'll probably only use once.  I do have one of these:

but it doesn't seem to be very keen on the whole cutting thing, which is a bit of a failing in a saw.  Probably wants a new blade.  So it'll probably be ye olde Sandvik and much perspiration.  Too hot to do it this afternoon though.

The funny thing is that when I clicked on the latest post to this page from the forum index, my browser showed the handsaw picture at the top in Jurek's post before dropping down. Must be a sign or something.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #42 on: 23 August, 2019, 08:15:01 pm »

;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Chris S

« Reply #43 on: 23 August, 2019, 09:23:06 pm »

;D

Thankfully, it got a shufty on and I didn't have to go...

* gulp *

... outside.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #44 on: 23 August, 2019, 11:14:19 pm »

;D

Thankfully, it got a shufty on and I didn't have to go...

* gulp *

... outside.

Again  ;D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #45 on: 24 August, 2019, 06:56:01 pm »
Bought a new blade for the saw.  Bottom sawn off door.  Now need to summon the energy to take the plane to it.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #46 on: 28 August, 2019, 11:07:49 am »
Packing the Luggage.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #47 on: 18 September, 2019, 08:18:27 pm »
Dog emptying, rather than just sitting in the pub with the dog.
Dog's idea. Honest.

« Reply #48 on: 18 September, 2019, 08:23:11 pm »
Dog's idea. Honest.
Did the dog buy you your usual?

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #49 on: 18 September, 2019, 08:33:29 pm »
Dog's idea. Honest.
Did the dog buy you your usual?

Did she buggery.  I even had to pay for our crisps.