Linked Events

• Kernow & SW 600: 28 May, 2011 - 29 May, 2011

Author Topic: Kernow & SW 2011  (Read 53499 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Kernow & SW 2011
« Reply #250 on: 30 May, 2011, 01:45:10 am »
Congratulation to all 13 of you  ;D
Look forward to reading the ride reports  :thumbsup:

+1

Well done to those that got back to the finish in Glorious Devon.

H

« Reply #251 on: 30 May, 2011, 02:25:50 am »
Well done all, no mean achievement this weekend.

« Reply #252 on: 30 May, 2011, 09:08:47 am »
Well done! Also looking forward to read about it.

« Reply #253 on: 30 May, 2011, 11:34:18 am »
Woo.

(More later, on train to see my parents.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #254 on: 30 May, 2011, 11:47:22 am »
Chapeau all.

Makes me want to recover my fitness to do it next year!
Chief cat entertainer.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #255 on: 30 May, 2011, 02:40:02 pm »
Sitting down after lunch with the family and am surprised that I am penning the first ride report. Well here goes -

Friday - left work in a rush and after arriving home had to cycle to the station. Train to Exeter was full and I had to push to get on. Then had a brief discussion with someone who claimed that when you have booked a seat if someone is there first it is bad luck. Had to point out that I had booked the seat and had the card to prove it. This concluded when he said but its very crowed standing up, and I said he could have my square foot of floor.

Got to the Exeter Travel Lodge at about 10:30 and met up with Richard Evans. We chatted for a while about rides we had done together.

Saturday - Alarm went off at 4:30 and we set off at first light. We got to the hall at about 5am. It was not open and a little panic set in and I phoned Ian Hennesy to check we were in the correct place. Needless to say we were and I was just been a tad neurotic.

The first stage to Bude was easy riding and there was a group of about six who shared the work and we were first to Bude. Toby was in the group and although I was not pushing on the hills it was clear he could have ridden much faster.

I needed the loo in Bude and so delayed my food order. When I came back there was a family there who ordered six full breakfasts. It looked like it would take some time and so popped into another cafe. Left on my own to tackle the hilly section to Looe. This section was hard and while there was not a hill that had me in problems there was a certain relentless nature that wore me down. I passed Ben (who I was to ride with a lot) and did not see another rider on this section.

Got to Looe and went to the sea front to get some grub. Had chips, ice cream and pasty. Ben, Richard and another (who's name I missed) stood on the pavement and munched.

Ben had left and I set off with Richard and the other rider. We got close to Polruan and Richard claimed it was one way and I had the track on gps and said it was another. We split to see who whould get to the ferry first. I intended to wait, but the ferry was leaving and Ben was sitting there waiting. So I got on in the knowledge that the gps was shorter. I was to find out later that Richard had reached the ferry port just as it was leaving.

Ben and I bounced off each other for a while. I was a little quicker on the hills and he was faster on descents and the flat. The climbing was getting to me a bit and I stopped in Porbus (I think)  for a sandwich and was just finishing when Ben passed. I would pass him again on the run into Long Rock.

I have not mentioned the wind. This was against use all the way from Bude. There was protection in some of the hills, but when it was exposed the wind was quite strong.

A welcome break in Long Rock and Ray suggested that we form a group to go back to Bude. The group worked quite well and we stopped in Newquay, which is about half way, for a bit to eat. This section is 120km and I would have struggled without something to eat.

The wind blew us back to Bude and I was surprised to be there before midnight. We were the second riders back. Toby had bounced the control and was planning on stopping at Taunton Dean services.

Sunday -
Four hours sleep and Ray, Ben and I were off. We were still heading east so the wind was at our backs. It was soon obvious that Ray was faster than Ben and I and before long the elastic broke and Ray was off.
The section to Taunton is over 100km and we stopped in Tiverton for a bit to eat.

Ben was surprised when on a back lane I shouted left here and disappeared down an access road. He thought we still had 30km to ride to Taunton Dean services.

On the section to Yeovil the difference in pace between Ben and I was stretching the elastic. I was quicker up the hills and Ben was a better going down and on the flat. Soon after the Yeovil stop I tapped out a couple of hills and was on my own. The run to Seaton was easy but  the final descent was brake block burning. 10% or steeper when you did not want to get any speed up.

Short stop at Seaton and then off on the final hilly section. Some of the climbs out of Seaton and Beer were steep and single track. I ended up getting off three times because there cars that were blocking each other. Restarting on a steep hill is not easy and I did walk one section (shame  :-[)

The run into Exeter on the A3052 had some descents that were steep and long. Some of the speeds were slightly scary and I would not have enjoyed these in the wet. The route took us on a back lane tour into Exeter and it avoided any city center riding.

I finished about 6:15pm. There was three of us who finished very close. Justin (first 600), myself and then Ben. I thought the elastic had broken with Ben just after Yeovil - only to find him just behind. Sitting here today I feel slightly guilty and wish I had finished the ride with Ben. We had cycled together since Long Rock and help helped each other getting back to Bude so quickly.

Overall I had a great time and would do this ride again. It has a different vibe to the BC and the BCM.

Many thanks to Ian, Feline and SimonP and all Ian's other helpers who made this such an enjoyable event.

Quite why this ride attracts such a small field I do not know. It is fantastic and has a different character to the other long rides I have done.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #256 on: 30 May, 2011, 05:33:11 pm »
Excellent ride, and thanks for the company BB, good to ride with you.
I DNFed this last year, so good to have settled unfinished business so to speak.
Highlights for me;
* the night time ride from penzance back to bude, which far from boring and tiring was actually fast and enjoyable - tailwind-assisted and in good company.
* finding out we had arrived at taunton deane services when I thought we were miles off  ;D
* having apple cake and ice cream at seaton overlooking the sea just as the sun came out
* lanes and fun descents right up to the finish.
Many thanks to Ian and all helpers - the route, food and hospitality was spot on and much appreciated.

Yet again there was fog at camelford, i wonder if it's just something about camelford?
 because there was fog there last year, but nowhere else.
It's a bit spooky. I think the place may well be haunted.

... Train to Exeter was full and I had to push to get on. Then had a brief discussion with someone who claimed that when you have booked a seat if someone is there first it is bad luck. Had to point out that I had booked the seat and had the card to prove it. This concluded when he said but its very crowed standing up, and I said he could have my square foot of floor.
Always worth booking if you can - on my way back, a cyclist got chucked off at cheltenham spa because his bike was in excess of the three that could be hung up. He obviously hadn't booked it on, but he was trying to get all the way to glasgow... hope he made it!

I finished about 6:15pm. There was three of us who finished very close. Justin (first 600), myself and then Ben. I thought the elastic had broken with Ben just after Yeovil - only to find him just behind. Sitting here today I feel slightly guilty and wish I had finished the ride with Ben. We had cycled together since Long Rock and help helped each other getting back to Bude so quickly.
don't be - t'll teach me to carry so much luggage  ;D in all truthfulness i probably could have managed with the barley tbh,and will again. But last year i made the mistake of being too minimalist and while probably not the reason for my packing was less comfortable than with slightly more clothing options.
 The problem with the rack top bag is you are tempted to take more than you really need, and fill it - if it's not full before the ride, I just top it up with food  ;) ... but it does make it heavy.

« Reply #257 on: 30 May, 2011, 06:02:46 pm »
Three pics just to demonstrate that my camera doesn't do semi-darkness very well.

Inside the Stratton control (food was served behind the curtain)

Ray on his way at first light

Riders leaving just after Ray

AndyH

« Reply #258 on: 31 May, 2011, 12:40:29 am »
Thanks to:

Ian "the Assassin" Hennessey for organising
Don and crew for the Penzance control
Simon, Lara, Pippa, and everybody else who helped
MrsH for telling me to get back on my bike and stop being a wimp when I casually dropped into a phone conversation on Saturday that the ride was a bit hard and I might pack
Richard for organising a superb B&B last night, a good move.
Double thanks to the overnight crew (Ian Pippa Lara & Simon) for thwarting the bike thief in the small hours of Sunday. One of them will have to explain, I was sleeping.

And chapeau to those (3?) who chose this as their first 600 and succeeded. I spent some time with Mike of Tavistock (wheelers ?) who finished his first SR and qualified with this. A braver man than I relying on this one  :thumbsup:

I had an awful Saturday, Sunday made up or it once I realised that I was going to crack it. Stunning, challenging route which must be wonderful if you're not cold, wet, miserable and battling a headwind. I can't imagine that I'll never do it again, but next time not as the penultimate in a series of 8 events in 9 weeks.

I'll hopefully be recovered in time for Friday night's Avalon 400  ;D

I believe Mr Hopper had a good ride. Small scorch marks are being analysed by the highways departments of the respective counties we visited.

Full report to follow.

simonp

« Reply #259 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:11:47 am »
Double thanks to the overnight crew (Ian Pippa Lara & Simon) for thwarting the bike thief in the small hours of Sunday. One of them will have to explain, I was sleeping.

You can thank Ian for chasing him out the door, and Lara for giving them an earful. I didn’t do much - I’d just got up from a doze, and I don’t think I even had my shoes on.  We made sure they left and went back inside and moved the bikes nearest the door a bit further inside.

You normally assume inside controls should be safe, but the layout of the building meant the sleeping area and bikes were nearest the entrance, and we were away from that area to keep things quiet.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #260 on: 31 May, 2011, 05:51:10 am »

I believe Mr Hopper had a good ride. Small scorch marks are being analysed by the highways departments of the respective counties we visited.

Better scorch marks than skid marks.

H

« Reply #261 on: 31 May, 2011, 09:22:58 am »
More info on the lads riding it for Musclar Dystrophy can be found here: 23 Events for Bertie

AndyH

« Reply #262 on: 31 May, 2011, 09:37:04 am »
I have to admire Mr Greenbank for his very calm arrival at 9.30, looking completely unflustered and having had the presence of mind to collect 8 cold cans of Kronenbourg before the finish. This man has his priorities right  :thumbsup:

Was the off licence pre programmed into your GPS?

AndyH

« Reply #263 on: 31 May, 2011, 09:58:04 am »
Ian "the Assassin" Hennessey
The obscure reference being Octave Lapize

He is noted for looking at some Tour officials on the climb of the Col du Tourmalet in the 1910 Tour de France and yelling, "Vous êtes des assassins! Oui, des assassins!' (French for 'You are murderers! Yes, murderers!')"[1] The stage in question was 326 kilometers in length, featured 7 brutal climbs, and was raced on unsealed roads
I had similar feelings on more than one occaision. Rose tinted spectacles are forming now though  ;)

« Reply #264 on: 31 May, 2011, 09:59:56 am »
I didn't realise I was in such danger.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #265 on: 31 May, 2011, 10:23:34 am »
A few thoughts:

Massive headwind to Penzance but with the biggest payoff ever all the way back to Yeovil

3/4 mile of Bridleway at fourlanes added for GPS users  ;)

The best cooked Eggs ever in Bude

I managed to hit a pothole just right in the lanes to Taunton Dean to generate the 1.21 Giggawatts to transport me 2 seconds into the future 3 metres to the right in a field (through some sort of green/black/brambly time&space vortex).

I was the only one who got the info at Fowey:
Q. What TV presenter is getting off the ferry? A. Claire Balding

Magnum Ice Cream in Seaton in the sun

The final Descent through Watership Down to Exeter

Thanks to all the helpers at all the controls much appreciated, and cheers AndyH for letting me leave my bag in his car and trust me with a key to it!

Totally agree with BianchBoy in that I cannot understand why this doesn't have a bigger field, it's not hard to get to Exeter is it?

« Reply #266 on: 31 May, 2011, 11:30:56 am »
The full story of AndyH's bike:

At about 4am we heard a bit of a drunken bellow coming from the front entrance area of the town hall. Ian and I dashed out to see what was going on. A drunken scrote was inside the hall mounting Andy's enigma. He was rapidly chased off by Ian into the street where I ran up the road after him and his partner in crime to give them a good ear bashing. I had been planning a rugby tackle but thought better of it since they were beating a hasty retreat.

We kept an extra vigilant watch on the entrance and bikes for the rest of the night in case they came back for a 2nd attempt. I think Simon even kept his shoes on then in case of any more scrote-chasing action  ;D

I hope I didn't poison any of the riders with my cooking. Fortunately Pippa was there too to take control of the kitchen!

Euan Uzami

« Reply #267 on: 31 May, 2011, 12:32:55 pm »
I was the only one who got the info at Fowey:
Q. What TV presenter is getting off the ferry? A. Claire Balding
Oh, her. She was in this which was on last week.

« Reply #268 on: 31 May, 2011, 12:41:59 pm »
...mounting Andy's enigma...

Oo-er, missus.

It took me several moments to be sure he wasn't one of ours just arriving, by which time he'd staggered off the bike and out of the door. I got the impression that his immediate intention was to ride the bike round the hall - too drunk to realise there were others there.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #269 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:47:47 pm »
...mounting Andy's enigma...

Oo-er, missus.

It took me several moments to be sure he wasn't one of ours just arriving,

Who did you have in mind?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #270 on: 31 May, 2011, 02:26:35 pm »
Comparing the plan to reality (in bold)

06.00 start
10.00 arrive at Bude (81km in 4 hours = 20kph)
* Arrived at 10.03. 21.7kph. Food took longer than expected (table of 8 had ordered before me).
10.30 leave Bude
* 10.54 left Bude after a breakfast and with a pasty in the saddlebag
15.30 arrive at Looe (hilly so 67km in 5 hours = 13.4kph), quick stop to buy pasties to eat on ferry, grab other food in Snozzle
* Arrived at Looe at 14.35. 18.7kph. Ate pasty, stopped for longer than ideal, left at 15.20
20.45 arrive at Penzance (hilly to Snozzle, 94km in 5h15 = 17.9kph)
* Arrived at 21.25. 17.3kph. Headwind stronger than expected. Hard work
21.45 leave Penzance after food and a bit of a rest
* Left at 22.30
03.45 arrive at Stratton (121km in 6 hours = 20kph) sleep stop
* Arrived at 4.45, 19.2kph, getting dozy after Wadebridge, had been looking for a bus shelter
06.00 leave Stratton
* Left at 7.15. Had 45 mins sleep, change of kit and lots of food
12.00 arrive at Taunton (114km in 6 hours = 19kph), 1 hour stop for food
* Arrive at TDS 13.22. 18kph (included 15 min mid stage faff with GPS).
13.00 leave Taunton
* Left at 13.52 after food stop with intentions of minimal stops at West Coker and Seaton
15.30 arrive West Coker (47km in 2.5 hours = 18.8kph), 45 min stop if necessary
* Arrive 16.21, 19kph.
16.15 leave West Coker
* Left 16.33 (made up 30 mins by stopping a short time).
19.00 arrive Seaton (46km in 2.5 hours = 18.4kph), 45 min stop if necessary
* Arrive Seaton 19.02. 18.4kph. Quick stop at kebab shop to get receipts and also the toilets
19.45 leave Seaton
* Left at 19.11
21.00 arrive Finish (hilly last bit, 32km in 2.25 hours = 14.2kph)
* Arrived at Costcutter just down from hall at 21.20 to go beer shopping. Rolled in to the hall 10 mins later

Proper ride report (without many numbers) to come.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #271 on: 31 May, 2011, 02:37:49 pm »
It is difficult to clear a control in less than 45 minutes, whatever intentions you may have...

« Reply #272 on: 31 May, 2011, 02:43:27 pm »
That is a great write up there. Quality numbers!

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #273 on: 31 May, 2011, 04:20:08 pm »
This is on my list of 'must do' rides. Decided the Bryan Chapman would be enough to make up my first SR rather than stretching to this.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #274 on: 31 May, 2011, 10:03:51 pm »
* Arrived at Costcutter just down from hall at 21.20 to go beer shopping. Rolled in to the hall 10 mins later

:thumbsup: I like the idea of the last stop being a 'beer control'. This should be written into the rules at the next AGM.
Mojo is being awakened.