Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 393725 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #2500 on: 12 April, 2019, 08:44:51 pm »
Very good!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2501 on: 16 April, 2019, 05:49:13 pm »
BN: I definitely won't be able to do PBP this year.

GN: The reason for that BN is that my maternity cover contract looks like being made permanent (the person I'm covering for has decided she's not coming back to work). When I took the job on, I was expecting the contract to finish by the end of July, which would have been perfect PBP-wise, but if I'm staying, the schedule means there's no way I will be able to take the time off in August. But a permanent contract is excellent news for all sorts of reasons, so not to be sniffed at.

++GN: One of those reasons is that I'll be able to take advantage of the C2W scheme to replace my dead Brompton (and will have justifiable reason for doing so).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2502 on: 17 April, 2019, 07:49:25 pm »
BN. A local village pond had all its fish hoovered out some months ago by scrotes.
GN. Visited today and pond was full of fish of all sizes.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2503 on: 01 May, 2019, 01:53:03 pm »
Good news: Back in March i got a ticket and bike reservation to get me back from Glasgow later in May (a daytime train).

Bad news (then): the phone booking with virgin was time and energy consuming and they couldn't sort me out a seat reservation.

Good news: went to Brighton station today to see if they could rustle me up a seat. They could.

More good news: the original bike reservation was for the right day of the month, but the wrong month (March). The ticket office lady spotted this and got me a correct bike reservation as well.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2504 on: 02 May, 2019, 05:58:56 pm »
BN:
And now a grumble, just to restore this thread to its allotted grumpiness quotient. I've lost the pump that mounted in a bracket next to the bottle cage on one of my bikes. It could have fallen off while I was riding (but I think I'd have noticed – probably felt and/or seen it fall, as it was on the downtube, and heard the clunk), it could be hiding somewhere at home (but I don't remember removing it and I've looked in all the places), it could have got knocked off while parked in town (boo!), or it could have been stolen (grrrrrrrrrrrr!). Either of the last two seems the most likely. Still, I'd had it ten years and IIRC it came free with a bike (that I no longer have), so okay. But now I need a new one. Probably go for one that I can put in a pannier, as I pretty much always have a pannier on this bike. Except then it's bound to end up in the wrong pannier...
The answer, of course, is to have one pump for each pannier, left and right. And one for each small pannier as well, just in case I use those instead. Oh, and one for the rack pack. Hmm....£$£
GN: Found the little Blackburn pump! Along with its bracket, which I could zip tie to the top tube. And it's still in very good condition despite being about 30 years old (I think). It is a bit small for my big 700x38 tyres though. But I also found one of those Zefal HPX pumps, the ones that look really oldskool though I think mine's only a couple of years old. I'd forgotten I had that one. Too big for a pannier though and I reckon leaving on a town bike is just going to get it nicked, so I'll use the Blackburn. Aluminium barrel, wooh!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2505 on: 03 May, 2019, 12:07:43 am »
I'm still rattling a Cyclaire around in the bottom of my shopping pannier for that reason.  Its high performance to pannierbility ratio (combined with coming in a little bag with room for some tyre levers, a box of patches and assorted pingfuckits) makes it a good utility bike pump, though (BN) the chuck on mine's getting a bit iffy these days.

Road Morph's fine in its bracket on the tourer, but it's not ideal for cramming into a rack bag, and I'm not sure how well it would take to being crushed by tins of BOGOF beans.  Maybe I'll just tape a few CO2 cartridges together and have done with it.  The tyres I'm using are good training sturdy enough that visitations aren't a frequent occurrence.

« Reply #2506 on: 10 May, 2019, 03:31:11 pm »
BN: I manage to break the winding crown pinion on my less than two year old watch (OK, strictly not a winder, it is an automatic) by means of a very strange interface between my wrist and a plastic shopping trolley, French hypermarket stylee. Don't ask me how I did it, got jammed in and the only way out was ping. Contemplated sending it to an independent watch repairer, decided that I'd go official.

GN: Just heard from them, they're going to repair under warranty!

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2507 on: 14 May, 2019, 03:58:17 pm »
GN: My new lawn mower arrived today
BN: After one strip of lawn it stopped working.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2508 on: 14 May, 2019, 07:01:24 pm »
GN: My new lawn mower arrived today
BN: After one strip of lawn it stopped working.

GN: Built-in excuse to go for a bike ride.   :thumbsup:

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2509 on: 19 May, 2019, 03:05:09 pm »
gn: I still have bottles of 2009 Bordeaux
bn: I drank a whole bottle (of Chateau Beaumont)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2510 on: 19 May, 2019, 04:49:29 pm »
GN: I saw 6 goals and history being made.
BN: I saw 6 goals being scored and waved a flag.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2511 on: 20 May, 2019, 01:39:19 pm »

From that I take it you were in the Yellow and Red end.  :facepalm:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2512 on: 20 May, 2019, 04:53:05 pm »
GN: I am planning a holiday, more later
GN: This is because I finally made a decision to get my arse in gear and apply for contract jobs (I have been sticking out for perm, but no dice so far)
BN: See second GN
GN: Still have more than enough money to see me through the next few months, which appears to scare interviewers...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2513 on: 23 May, 2019, 08:52:06 am »
BN: Our 300L water heater popped its top last night - looked like a failed soufflée with water running down one side.
GN: El Prez's job was fitting the things. Tomorrow he's bringing his trailer and we'll go get a new one & he'll fit it, then help cart the old one off to the dump recycling centre.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2514 on: 28 May, 2019, 06:12:19 pm »
Hurrah:Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles has CHOKLIT flapjack bites again  :thumbsup:
Bah:Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles no longer has a watchdoctor's emporium in the car park  >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2515 on: 28 May, 2019, 09:52:40 pm »

From that I take it you were in the Yellow and Red end.  :facepalm:

Sorry, just seen this. Yes, that's where I was...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2516 on: 29 May, 2019, 10:24:11 am »
BN: The North Birmingham team beat the Rams
BN: Cameron & William Windsor - both faux fans - could pretend to be elated and be real people
GN: I'm struggling to think of anything...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2517 on: 04 June, 2019, 09:27:26 pm »
some oik launched an egg at me (on a bike) from a passing chavmobile today

gn: it bounced off my torso and splatted on the pavement

what's wrong with some people? ???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2518 on: 04 June, 2019, 10:46:50 pm »
what's wrong with some people? ???

It's the question of where they get the eggs.  They can't all be catering students, it's not Halloween (or northern equivalent) and pancake day was ages ago.  Are they doing the shopping for mum?  Will they get into trouble if half the eggs are missing?  Do they keep a box in the glove compartment just in case, like USAnians with handguns?

On a FNRttC some time ago, a chavmobile passed the group, then returned 5 minutes later having stocked up on ammunition at a 24hour supermarket.  But that must be exceptional.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #2519 on: 12 June, 2019, 03:56:06 pm »
GN - Locally, the Sunne will shine again!
BN _ According to yr.no, not until around 0600 o'clock hrs on Friday. And then only for a couple of hours.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #2520 on: 14 June, 2019, 08:10:52 am »
GN: Hurrah! I'm being paid to go to Barcelona next week
BN: Bah! This week would have been more sociable
MBN: No flights from London City any more, Boo!
EMBN: They want me to stay in the same hotel Oh noooooo
GN: At least I'm senior enough these days to Just Say No. he he he

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2521 on: 14 June, 2019, 09:56:16 am »
Enjoy it, I've flown into Barcelona but never visited.  Last time was Andorra, which is a great drive up into the mountains to a tax-free haven
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2522 on: 14 June, 2019, 01:55:02 pm »
Aiiiii. MBN. The address of where I have to be has Llobregat as part of its name. Hmmm. Great for the airport......

I suspect my hotel will be a ride away.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2523 on: 14 June, 2019, 02:02:11 pm »
Aiiiii. MBN. The address of where I have to be has Llobregat as part of its name. Hmmm. Great for the airport......

I suspect my hotel will be a ride away.

Is that anything like Llareggub? Maybe you'll get a glimpse of the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboatbobbing sea. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2524 on: 14 June, 2019, 02:35:57 pm »
It certainly is similar. Bugger all except for a brewery.