Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo 24-25 July 2010  (Read 160731 times)

Re: Dunwich Dynamo 24-25 July 2010
« Reply #525 on: 22 July, 2010, 07:43:46 pm »
I just noticed they have now completely changed the weather forecast to potential rain but with a tail wind at the start of the ride  :o

It looks to be pretty light rain however (finger crossed).

...or a Sinclair A-bike will cut it.

I'd be impressed by anyone who finished the ride on an A-bike.  Actually, I'd be impressed by anyone who could cycle one across London to the start. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #526 on: 22 July, 2010, 07:48:05 pm »
10mph average sounds good to me.  That'll get us there around 8am-ish (assuming an 8pm-ish departure).
Wowbagger was talking about a moving average.  It's 112.7 miles (call it 113.5 this year with the Sible Hedingham stop) so add an hour and a half of stops and you're looking at 9am or later.  I intend to be in Bedfordshire, both literally and metaphorically, by then  :)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #527 on: 22 July, 2010, 08:11:10 pm »
Having noticed Rogers post (in the "What are you doing know" thread) about hunting down a GPS route, I had a quick search, and found a likely looking one.

The one I've found was a little on the large size, so I've GPSBabeled it down to 500 points which will keep the Active 10's uploading software from winging.  It's on GPSies, and hopefully a reasonable rendition of the actual route.

« Reply #528 on: 22 July, 2010, 08:15:45 pm »
I plunge into sudden darkness when Hope turns itself off  :)

It's not really likely to happen.

Run the Hope on 'blinky' while you are in streetlights - ie: not much at all, because if you leave at a sensible time the streetlights will run out before the daylight does.

And, unless your eyesight is poor, you're unlikely to need to crank it up to more than Vol II or Vol III for the darkest parts.

Vol IV on the Hope is waaayyy brighter than you're likely to need for any conditions on the Dun Run.

Trust me when I tell you that you'll be fine with one set of fully stuffed AA's.

As a worst case scenario if you run your Hope on Vol II or Vol III, when it shuts down, you can revert to Vol I or blinky.
It becomes a problem if it shuts down when you are running it on blinky - nowhere to go but the darkness after that.

rogerzilla

« Reply #529 on: 22 July, 2010, 08:20:18 pm »
Having noticed Rogers post (in the "What are you doing know" thread) about hunting down a GPS route, I had a quick search, and found a likely looking one.

The one I've found was a little on the large size, so I've GPSBabeled it down to 500 points which will keep the Active 10's uploading software from winging.  It's on GPSies, and hopefully a reasonable rendition of the actual route.

My Garmin Legend only copes with 250 points, so I split the ride into two with the feed stop in the middle.  250 points for the whole ride would be a bit imprecise at junctions.

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
« Reply #530 on: 22 July, 2010, 08:31:04 pm »
We have had torrential rain here, roads flooded earlier.  Be warned that lots of flints n crap are likely to have been washed onto roads around Dunwich. 

If it is pouring down, I will still do what I can from the back of the car. 

I may well head down there the night before and sit it out in the car as we've just had notification that men in orange outfits will be working on the line, all night long on Saturday....bright lights and lots of noise.  I'll expect to see Rogerzilla at around 4.30 for nibbles and something hot :demon:

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #531 on: 22 July, 2010, 08:33:35 pm »
You may see me about that time also, just depends how quick I can cycle 300km leaving home at midday  ;D

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #532 on: 22 July, 2010, 08:33:51 pm »
http://ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps/DUNRUN_ag.gpx is a route with just the turns.  If you use on-road routing, it'll get you there.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
« Reply #533 on: 22 July, 2010, 08:36:46 pm »
You may see me about that time also, just depends how quick I can cycle 300km leaving home at midday  ;D

Cider?

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #534 on: 22 July, 2010, 08:47:58 pm »
Never turn down a offer from a woman bearing cider.
Perhaps I'll pedal quicker  ;D

« Reply #535 on: 22 July, 2010, 09:11:58 pm »
I was pleased to find my hope vision lasted a full 4h 30m on high (3rd setting) with my new batteries after their first charge  ;D
This is better than I had anticipated. When it gets dark I will fit it to my bike and go for a test ride in the dark ..  yippee!

« Reply #536 on: 22 July, 2010, 09:59:31 pm »
Vol IV on the Hope is waaayyy brighter than you're likely to need for any conditions on the Dun Run.

Out riding after midnight last night, and even with clear skys, it was very dark. Although there was quite a bit of the moon showing, it was right down at the horizon and deep orange.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #537 on: 22 July, 2010, 10:10:17 pm »

My Garmin Legend only copes with 250 points, so I split the ride into two with the feed stop in the middle.  250 points for the whole ride would be a bit imprecise at junctions.

That's what I do with the Garmin Geko - two tracks, not routes, of 250 points each.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #538 on: 22 July, 2010, 10:36:51 pm »
I was pleased to find my hope vision lasted a full 4h 30m on high (3rd setting) with my new batteries after their first charge  ;D
This is better than I had anticipated. When it gets dark I will fit it to my bike and go for a test ride in the dark ..  yippee!

you'll be fine.. my first year the battery suddenly went in my light and I was without any front lighting from about 11pm onwards.  I sat on the back of every group that came past, hanging on for grim death till I got dropped then I waited for the next group -  it was absolutely magical. 

rogerzilla

« Reply #539 on: 23 July, 2010, 06:31:06 am »
If the weather is horrible and I end up on the Inbred, I'll have a Hope Vision 1 as well.  The problem is if you're doing the 40mph descent into Sudbury when it decides to cut out.  I'd take two sets of rechargeable batteries (I bought a couple of extra battery holders, since they're £4 or only 99p if you know where to look).

LEE

« Reply #540 on: 23 July, 2010, 09:07:56 am »

That's what I do with the Garmin Geko - two tracks, not routes, of 250 points each.

Garmin Geko allows about 10,000 track points.  It's Route Points that have the low limit.

« Reply #541 on: 23 July, 2010, 09:11:23 am »
Team Speed, currently mike and me, departs at 8pm if anyone's interested.

Waitamoment, nobody mentioned travelling at speed... Do I need to bring a more sensible bike?

« Reply #542 on: 23 July, 2010, 09:31:17 am »
Team Speed, currently mike and me, departs at 8pm if anyone's interested.
Waitamoment, nobody mentioned travelling at speed... Do I need to bring a more sensible bike?

...or join Team Slow. :)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #543 on: 23 July, 2010, 09:34:56 am »
Team slow - well I intend to join them as we're planning on hauling a trailer and camping gear all the way to Dunwich.

How many of us are lugging tents there?

We’re still lugging tent (and trailer) on our tandem.  Our train is booked for Monday (about 15-20 minutes after yours) so we haven’t got any choice now!

I remembered today to get a  bunch of cable ties to attach the loops of my tent fly sheet to bags of rocks if tent pegs prove unsuitable for securing duties in sandy dunes – can’t remember who suggested the bags of rocks but it was a good idea.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #544 on: 23 July, 2010, 09:40:34 am »
The "dunes" aren't sandy and they're not really dunes. It's a flat area between the freshwater marsh and the beach which sometimes has shallow soil and at others is exposed pebbles. When we were there three weeks ago the weather was very benign and it was possible to find enough "soil" for the pegs to bite into given the almost total lack of wind. If there are lots more of us then there may not be enough soil to go round if we all want to camp in a group, especially if there's likely to be a breeze.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #545 on: 23 July, 2010, 09:41:53 am »
The "dunes" aren't sandy and they're not really dunes. It's a flat area between the freshwater marsh and the beach which sometimes has shallow soil and at others is exposed pebbles. When we were there three weeks ago the weather was very benign and it was possible to find enough "soil" for the pegs to bite into given the almost total lack of wind. If there are lots more of us then there may not be enough soil to go round if we all want to camp in a group, especially if there's likely to be a breeze.

Ah, thanks - will definitely bring the bags then.

Tim

« Reply #546 on: 23 July, 2010, 09:44:49 am »
If the weather is horrible and I end up on the Inbred, I'll have a Hope Vision 1 as well.  The problem is if you're doing the 40mph descent into Sudbury when it decides to cut out.  I'd take two sets of rechargeable batteries (I bought a couple of extra battery holders, since they're £4 or only 99p if you know where to look).
I still don't think that you'll be able to swap the batteries at 40mph before you get to the bottom of the hill.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #547 on: 23 July, 2010, 09:45:40 am »
Weak.  Real Men can manage it.  ;D
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #548 on: 23 July, 2010, 10:01:06 am »
I don’t remember the beach that well, is there anything of interest (rock pools and the like) that Ms Weasel would benefit from by bringing her snorkel and flippers?

Chris S

« Reply #549 on: 23 July, 2010, 10:06:41 am »
There are pebbles and dunes.