Author Topic: [HAMR] 19th Jan - Steve day 165  (Read 7476 times)

[HAMR] 19th Jan - Steve day 165
« on: 19 January, 2016, 10:19:38 am »
Southbound from York just after 9am but with a little confusion in the IvanScience that's adding to his mileage.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: 19th Jan - Steve day 165
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2016, 12:03:24 pm »
I see he's just ridden the mind-numbing stretch south of Sandtoft (Idle* Bank on google maps), where Steve caught me and rode with me for a few miles during the night on the 2001 LEL.

*cue nuncio's joke about the Idle Working Men's Club (from his collection which includes Ugley Women's Institute and the Biggar picture).
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2016, 12:16:39 pm »
Ugley Women's Institute

There's an Ugley Biffa depot too: https://goo.gl/maps/XUfe9MDe9Kt

I shall, hopefully, be riding past it (and the Ugley Women's Institute) at about 8.30am on the 21st Feb.

« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2016, 12:24:51 pm »
*cue nuncio's joke about the Idle Working Men's Club (from his collection which includes Ugley Women's Institute and the Biggar picture).

When I was on a road trip in the US, a couple of times we were asked by proud local people "how do you like our town?".

Now, if I'm ever asked that question, I'll be able to respond with "I've been to Biggar".

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:08:45 pm »
And the village of Loose, just outside Maidstone in Kent has a branch of the Women's Institute. Called, inevitably, the Loose Women's Institute.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:31:30 pm »
At the South Lanarkshire art competition everyone raved about the Braehead entry. No-one saw the Biggar picture.

« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:39:00 pm »
Ugley Women's Institute

I shall, hopefully, be riding past it (and the Ugley Women's Institute) at about 8.30am on the 21st Feb.

I hate to put a dampener on this, but it is quite specifically called the Women's Institute of Ugley.

Though there was apparently a headline in the local paper once also involving a village just over the border in Hertfortshire: Nasty man marries Ugley woman.

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2016, 02:28:21 pm »
Don't you mean the Burley womens institute?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #8 on: 19 January, 2016, 03:01:47 pm »
(not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I don't follow this sub-board too closely. thought this might be of interest to some here though.)

Steve's attempt, as well as Kurt's, Bruce's and Kajsa's, are currently a topic on 'best of the web' site MetaFilter. (edit: i accidentally a typo)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #9 on: 19 January, 2016, 04:06:38 pm »
On the Mille Alba we encountered the village of Dull, twinned with Boring, Orgeon
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #10 on: 19 January, 2016, 04:26:21 pm »

I see he's just ridden the mind-numbing stretch south of Sandtoft (Idle* Bank on google maps),
It looks like a stretch of road that might only be good with a tail wind, but best spurned under every other sort of condition!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #11 on: 19 January, 2016, 04:28:32 pm »
No chance of him visiting the Knockin shop

« Reply #12 on: 19 January, 2016, 04:41:15 pm »
On this day last year Steve had it easier with just 151 miles

« Reply #13 on: 19 January, 2016, 04:47:04 pm »
Afternoon food stop in Boston it seems. Will it be a return to Acle? That would be ~200 miles or so.

[EDIT] Or will it be back to MK?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #14 on: 19 January, 2016, 04:58:18 pm »
On the Mille Alba we encountered the village of Dull, twinned with Boring, Orgeon

In which there is of course the Dull Safari Park ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #15 on: 19 January, 2016, 06:10:13 pm »
(not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I don't follow this sub-board too closely. thought this might be of interest to some here though.)

Steve's attempt, as well as Kurt's, Bruce's and Katja's, are currently a topic on 'best of the web' site MetaFilter.

Good post, Mr Dibdib!

Love the comments there :)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #16 on: 19 January, 2016, 06:16:05 pm »
S'pose I'll have to mention the village of Plwmp near us again.  You can make up all the institutes, clubs and associations yourself.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17 on: 19 January, 2016, 07:21:59 pm »

Steve's attempt, as well as Kurt's, Bruce's and Katja's, are currently a topic on 'best of the web' site MetaFilter.

Who is this "Katja" of whom you speak?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #18 on: 19 January, 2016, 07:31:36 pm »

Perhaps Leighton Buzzard's finest, Kajagoogoo, with front man Limahl?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 19 January, 2016, 07:52:36 pm »
I suspect it is a typo, or mis-spelling (or mis-remembering) of "Kasja", which is the name of the current female year record challenger.[EDIT: actually its the name in that article on MetaFilter !]

i started a thread about her a few months ago https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=91020.0

She happens to have a name that is VERY rare amonsgt anglophones. It is therefore likely to be mis-spelt very very frequently. (I'm not even 100% sure I spelt it right back there.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 19 January, 2016, 08:14:55 pm »
I thought it was "Kajsa"?

That's how she spells it on her Strava account, anyway, which I trust more than the above article.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21 on: 19 January, 2016, 08:20:25 pm »
I suspect it is a typo, or mis-spelling (or mis-remembering) of "Kasja", which is the name of the current female year record challenger.[EDIT: actually its the name in that article on MetaFilter !]

::-)

Curiously, no-one spent the whole of last year referring to our USAnian chum as "Knut".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #22 on: 19 January, 2016, 08:23:02 pm »
I think Kasja is pronounced the same as we called my former German school teacher, although Google translates her name as Kate!

« Reply #23 on: 19 January, 2016, 09:06:45 pm »
I think Kasja is pronounced the same as we called my former German school teacher, although Google translates her name as Kate!

Kajsa   ;)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

simonp

« Reply #24 on: 19 January, 2016, 09:59:27 pm »
Steve's Ivan o Meter showing 155 miles done with 37 miles back to MK. It's cold out and he'll be out past midnight again to get home. Could be 200 miles?