Author Topic: Bizarre Speed Increase on Longer Rides  (Read 5042 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Bizarre Speed Increase on Longer Rides
« on: 24 February, 2011, 11:43:47 am »
I have noticed I am doing 100km+rides faster this year.

I don't think I am doing anything much different except last year I commuted more
I have a new bike but it's not much better than the old bike
I haven't done any special training
I haven't rested more than last year

Speed is up from under 25kph to over 28kph

Full details of my bafflement on my blog

Given that "commuting more" isn't a recognised way of going faster, any ideas?

Re: Bizarre Speed Increase on Longer Rides
« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2011, 12:00:01 pm »
Maybe the Roubaix effect is greater than you think.

Or you need to recalibrate your speedo.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 24 February, 2011, 12:03:15 pm »
Are you sure? Could be translated into More Base Mileage. (unless you're commuting rapidly - then it becomes More Training!)

3kph is a lot though, for someone that is pretty well trained over more than 3 years. Probably external factors (like bike).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 24 February, 2011, 12:09:39 pm »
Maybe the Roubaix effect is greater than you think.

Or you need to recalibrate your speedo.

Going from a nice Ti bike to a nice Roubaix might have a tiny effect one way or another but 2 or 3 kph over 100km..
For an alternative view...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HygIMD4PzrQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HygIMD4PzrQ&rel=1</a>
 ;D

I should have mentioned the speedo in the blog.  The front wheel is the same as on the old bike, even had the same tyre to start with.  The speedo might be ever so slightly out with the new tyre but not that much

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #4 on: 24 February, 2011, 12:14:55 pm »
I have noticed I am doing 100km+rides faster this year.

I don't think I am doing anything much different except last year I commuted more
I have a new bike but it's not much better than the old bike
I haven't done any special training
I haven't rested more than last year

Full details of my bafflement on my blog

I think you'll find that's mine, can I have my 3kph back please, I wondered where it'd gone over the winter

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 24 February, 2011, 12:19:12 pm »

Your 'pooter's stuck on max speed  ;)

« Reply #6 on: 24 February, 2011, 12:28:30 pm »
The usual cause is pushing down harder on the pedals.

HTH.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Alouicious

« Reply #7 on: 25 February, 2011, 11:47:51 am »
Your 100km time has decreased, but your 200km time has not ? It this correct?

Last July you did the 1000km Cymru ?

You've been commuting, and presumably giving it some stick for these short distances.

My thoughts are that you've improved your cardiovascular/circulatory system so it transports O2 and CHO more rapidly and to many more active muscle fibres than two years ago. Your pulmonary system will have improved in sympathy, giving you a better VO2 Max.
Being able to shift the fuel and oxygen more effectively, you are able to put in more power until the tanks run dry ( 3.5 hour 100km ). After this, your body is on a balancing act of kCals in vs kCals out.
After the 3.5 hours, you will slow down naturally due to the muscles not getting the fuel, until fat starts to be used.

3.5 hour 100km is damned quick, and I personally wouldn't aim for this as the first half of a 200km.
Hurtling round a 100km is not a bad thing, as it is 'training'.

Remember, when more muscle fibres are recruited by the hard ride, on the long ride, 'many hands make light work'.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 25 February, 2011, 02:34:55 pm »
I've done another blog post summarizing the feedback I got:

"Faster: the Feedback"

The main reasons seemed to be:
1) You are trying harder. So in other words I am not any fitter but I am making more effort

2) Your bike actually is a bit faster. Some physical aspects of the bike make it roll faster for less effort

3) The riding you did last year has had some effect on your fitness, even though it was mainly low intensity

4) Although the routes you follow are “similar” they are not the same and so must be a bit easier

inc

« Reply #9 on: 25 February, 2011, 03:26:58 pm »

If you ride exactly the same 100km route as last year on your old bike with similar weather ie no gale force winds, you may get the answers to some of the questions. I would guess it is a little bit of all the things mentioned not one major thing and your time would be slower than on the Roubaix but faster than last time.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 25 February, 2011, 03:33:11 pm »

If you ride exactly the same 100km route as last year on your old bike

The old bike is shagged.  I still have the broken frame but I've sold a lot of the parts.  I will be riding EXACTLY the same route as one of last years routes next weekend if I have time

Alouicious

« Reply #11 on: 25 February, 2011, 03:38:34 pm »

The main reasons seemed to be:
1) You are trying harder. So in other words I am not any fitter but I am making more effort

2) Your bike actually is a bit faster. Some physical aspects of the bike make it roll faster for less effort

3) The riding you did last year has had some effect on your fitness, even though it was mainly low intensity

4) Although the routes you follow are “similar” they are not the same and so must be a bit easier

Am I correct in saying the 1000 Cymru was dead flat from start to finish? If I am wrong, somewhere on the trip you were stimulating muscle fibres and have encounterd Hypertrophy.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #12 on: 25 February, 2011, 03:44:16 pm »
Am I correct in saying the 1000 Cymru was dead flat from start to finish? If I am wrong, somewhere on the trip you were stimulating muscle fibres and have encounterd Hypertrophy.

Yeah but I have done various long climbish rides in the past.  I've had interesting years riding.  I've done loads of commuting.  I've trained hard.  But I haven't seen an apparent year-on-year increase in speed like this.

Alouicious

« Reply #13 on: 26 February, 2011, 09:31:18 pm »
I know this sounds daft, but its not always the riding that improves strength and stamina, its the rest days between.
Many athletes train and train and don't seem to improve. Then after a lay-off, they find that "getting back to it" gives big gains.