Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 180951 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: YACF LEJoG Relay
« Reply #850 on: 20 September, 2012, 12:57:31 pm »
Good thinking - I'll get in touch with them to suggest this - I could hand over in Finchingfield iIrc about 25km from the start, so about 08:00?

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #851 on: 20 September, 2012, 01:07:41 pm »
Good thinking - I'll get in touch with them to suggest this - I could hand over in Finchingfield iIrc about 25km from the start, so about 08:00?

Yes, I think 8 to 8:30am should see all of us in Finchingfield. We can then take the baton on a completely pointless 600k round trip!

Phil W

« Reply #852 on: 21 September, 2012, 10:59:32 am »
Anyone keeping track of the mileage of this baton relay?  Could be the longest LEJOG relay ever..

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #853 on: 21 September, 2012, 12:40:40 pm »
The baton has not made its way to Southend yet.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #854 on: 21 September, 2012, 12:43:06 pm »
The baton has not made its way to Southend yet.

You could always go and collect it from Great Dunmow.  Train to Braintree, ride along the Flitch Way, bunny hop the muddy bit at the GD end, collect from Tomsk, ride home.  Lovely day out.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #855 on: 24 September, 2012, 08:55:08 pm »
I think Tomsk is coming to insert handover at Finchingfield. Should it stay in Essex or is there someone in Lincolnshire or Hull who wants it. We can't hang about though, Tomsk taught me that. That said I'm happy to take it on a trip to Hull and Back.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #856 on: 28 September, 2012, 05:47:44 pm »
Successful hand-over this morning at Finchers; Baton is speeding north on Bloomers tasteful black and gold blinged Surly. He may have to use The Baton to beat off the admiring hordes.

I'm sure there will be pictures from this epic....

bloomers100

« Reply #857 on: 30 September, 2012, 02:44:34 pm »
There was a transfer of baton to Christophe on the Humber Bridge yesterday morning. It is back in Essex.

We nearly had to use it outside Asda's in Wisbech when the locals were kicking off with security.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #858 on: 30 September, 2012, 03:13:00 pm »
Somehow I seem to have become the Mid-Essex baton handover photographer, taking over the mantle from Huggy.  Some are born great, others have greatness thrust upon them.  Anyhow, to business ...

Here we have Tomsk handing the baton to bloomers:

The handover took place in Finchingfield and together with myself and Christophe, bloomers carried the baton to Hull as part of our

600k DIY audax

The following morning, very early, bloomers handed the baton to Christophe who carried the baton back to Mid-Essex:

The handover took place in the middle of the Humber bridge.  We didn't realise heights make bloomers very uneasy so he didn't want to stand near the railings with the rising sun in the background.

So basically, the baton has done a utterly pointless 600k round trip, reaching, I think, further north than it has before  ;D

bloomers100

« Reply #859 on: 30 September, 2012, 05:04:36 pm »
I don't look frightened do I.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #860 on: 30 September, 2012, 05:06:05 pm »
I don't look frightened do I.

No, not really  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #861 on: 30 September, 2012, 06:18:43 pm »
The Baton clearly has developed a will of its own and is determined to visit Southend.

« Reply #862 on: 30 September, 2012, 06:34:22 pm »
It has to do *that* cyclepath..

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #863 on: 30 September, 2012, 08:57:51 pm »
After which it should head back west to do the original (and still the best) Sustrans path - just to increase the pointlessness to heroic levels! Then I guess it ought to turn north... (but - has it been to Wales yet? How about a series of handovers on estuarial crossings? Hmmm?)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #864 on: 30 September, 2012, 09:08:35 pm »
Ahem Ahem.

Some people live in London, doncher know?

« Reply #865 on: 30 September, 2012, 09:29:50 pm »
Tee hee hexellent...
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #866 on: 30 September, 2012, 09:46:01 pm »
Ahem Ahem.

Some people live in London, doncher know?
You've got the Thames! A handover on Tower Bridge! Or maybe the Woolwich ferry? Or one of the tunnels?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #867 on: 30 September, 2012, 10:33:44 pm »
Different forumite on each river crossing?  There must be enough to go round...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #868 on: 30 September, 2012, 10:41:53 pm »
I think we've got rather more forumites than estuarial crossings or even estuaries - but if we expand it to include any rivers and any crossings (bridges, tunnels, ferries where allowed - and of course fords) then I'm sure we, errrr, haven't got anywhere near enough forumites!

« Reply #869 on: 01 October, 2012, 11:15:16 am »
Morning

I have the baton in my possession at the moment after our handover ceremony on the Humber Bridge on Saturday morning. If it survives being used as an offensive weapon by my children then will be passing it on in the next week. After lengthly discussion with Oscar's Dad and Bloomers over the weekend (well, 30 seconds or so) I understand that Wowbagger would like a go before finally leaving Essex. I'll post something on the MEMWNS thread to make arrangements later........

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #870 on: 01 October, 2012, 11:18:56 am »
Is there a route map to show where the baton has been?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #871 on: 01 October, 2012, 11:20:03 am »
That would add an extra element to the relay, with forumites competing to create the most perfect track of a CDC.
Getting there...

« Reply #872 on: 01 October, 2012, 11:35:56 am »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #873 on: 01 October, 2012, 12:50:14 pm »
Morning

I have the baton in my possession at the moment after our handover ceremony on the Humber Bridge on Saturday morning. If it survives being used as an offensive weapon by my children then will be passing it on in the next week. After lengthly discussion with Oscar's Dad and Bloomers over the weekend (well, 30 seconds or so) I understand that Wowbagger would like a go before finally leaving Essex. I'll post something on the MEMWNS thread to make arrangements later........

My Choir Committee Meeting this Wednesday has been postponed. I wonder, could the MEMWNR series head south this week? There's the Hoop, in Stock, or the King's Head, also close to Stock. Failing that, I should be out and about on Thursday and can arrange to be in the vicinity of Witham, but during the day.

« Reply #874 on: 01 October, 2012, 01:29:27 pm »
The map suggests that I am the nearest Londoner to Southend, happy to ride out to collect at some stage, or meet out somewhere when the time is right.