Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 177282 times)

AndyH

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay
« Reply #125 on: 19 November, 2010, 06:11:46 pm »
This thread is useless without maps.

Well I'll provide a GPX of the leg I ride on sunday, so where I take it can be plotted.

Hmm. Blandford to Land's end  (shortest) is 310 km by google maps, 312 by via michelin and 303 by autoroute. Suddenly I am tempted to do something stupid. Would anyone be willing to take the batton from land's end next weekend (Sat 27th ish).

PS is this enough notice (Ian H ?) for a 300k DIY ? Points chasing, moi ?

« Reply #126 on: 19 November, 2010, 06:23:35 pm »
The thought does occur, that should it eventually get to That London, one way to get it onwards to somewhere like Southend, would be via a FNRttC.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #127 on: 19 November, 2010, 06:37:42 pm »
It could then do the rounds of Essex, via MEMWNR and a WARTY or two, possibly finding its way into Boab's tender care and on to Chris S.

We are cycling form Lowestoft to Ardnamurchan in the spring so we could, if we wanted to use Route 1 (in footballing rather than Sustrans parlance) get it to Ft. Wiiliam for mid-April.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #128 on: 19 November, 2010, 07:12:44 pm »
*raises hand tentatively*

I could probably pick it up from Ham and carry it out into Essex.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

AndyH

« Reply #129 on: 19 November, 2010, 07:30:34 pm »
I guess that me buying you, the new Ring-Bearer Baton-Carrier, a drink should be part of the ceremony.

So we are meeting at Costa Coffee and then going to the pub ?

« Reply #130 on: 19 November, 2010, 08:09:39 pm »

Now there's a thought - all pairs of yacfers in close proximity to work out a handover.

I think it's fair for my east west commute to be enshrined somewhere in the scheme of things, I could extend for a few miles to the east and have a "both sides of the M25" in the running order, but I'm happy just to be a side-to-side errand/messenger boy. It's what I feel like most days, after all.

LEE

« Reply #131 on: 19 November, 2010, 08:14:52 pm »
I guess that me buying you, the new Ring-Bearer Baton-Carrier, a drink should be part of the ceremony.

So we are meeting at Costa Coffee and then going to the pub ?

Sure, if you follow us back to Andover via Amesbury, I'll buy you a couple but we need to get cracking really.
Coffee and cake to recharge the batteries for the final 60k.

It looks like we'll be cycling into a cold NE wind on the final leg from Romsey and it gets bleak over the Bulford firing ranges in the dark.
Hopefully you should get a tailwind back home.

« Reply #132 on: 19 November, 2010, 08:52:56 pm »
Any chance of it heading anywhere near Brighton/Eastbourne?

Coming late to this, but I'd be interested in joining in around Brighton.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #133 on: 20 November, 2010, 07:57:57 am »

If you can get it to Essex by 10th December it can come on our Christmas Do.

AndyH

« Reply #134 on: 21 November, 2010, 08:29:44 am »
Well I assume it's on it's way by now. I should be meeting Lee at around 3.00, from where the baton will return with me to Blandford Forum in deepest darkest Dorset.

The Baton becomes your responsibility.

So I could take it within a sensible radius, maybe meet someone ? The only YACFrs I am aware of in the Land's End direction are Vorsprung and Ian H. Anyone else who could meet within 50 miles of Blandford to the west ?
Andy

EDIT The idea of a 300K DIY to Land's end has been pretty much discounted, it's against the spirit of the relay and I have not really got the time.

Amphibitile

« Reply #135 on: 21 November, 2010, 10:37:07 pm »
Sounds like a good idea :) i'd be happy to do in and around london, if need be I could go to a distance of Oxford (or around that distance) from London.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #136 on: 22 November, 2010, 12:23:10 am »
Well I assume it's on it's way by now. I should be meeting Lee at around 3.00, from where the baton will return with me to Blandford Forum in deepest darkest Dorset.

The Baton becomes your responsibility.

So I could take it within a sensible radius, maybe meet someone ? The only YACFrs I am aware of in the Land's End direction are Vorsprung and Ian H. Anyone else who could meet within 50 miles of Blandford to the west ?
Andy

EDIT The idea of a 300K DIY to Land's end has been pretty much discounted, it's against the spirit of the relay and I have not really got the time.

I suppose that Bristol doesn't qualify as in the west of Blandford. Otherwise could meet somewhere around say Frome.
Chief cat entertainer.

AndyH

« Reply #137 on: 22 November, 2010, 01:48:33 am »
I suppose that Bristol doesn't qualify as in the west of Blandford. Otherwise could meet somewhere around say Frome.

Well it's sort of North North West. The main thing is getting it to Land's End, so if you have a plan for it's onward journey Panoramix ........

The handover successfully happened at 3 this afternoon, the baton is in my possesion. Full details will follow after Lee and Chillmoister have posted their ride report & photos.

corshamjim

« Reply #138 on: 22 November, 2010, 07:55:35 am »

I guess Bristol is more likely to be on/near the path of any YACFers actually doing JoGLE.  If you do arrange a handover in Frome, I'd quite like to cycle out there to witness passage of the baton and cheer the bearers along their way.   :thumbsup:

LEE

« Reply #139 on: 22 November, 2010, 09:56:39 am »
Well, the Baton has started its journey to Land End.

Baton Ride Stats - Andover to Romsey (via Audax route) - 135km/84 miles

Ride report:

The "Faccombe 4" (LEE, Chillmoister, Urban_Biker and Keeks) set off on the Anoraks Delight 200 at 7:40 from Andover.  The aim was to RV with AndyH at 3pm in Romsey (in fact AndyH met us 5 minutes from the Cafe at 2:55.  When I say 3pm, I mean 3pm, not 2:59 or 3:01).

After a very pleasant (for late November) 140km (including crossing the path of Scampi and family, out walking the byways of Brambridge), we met AndyH about 1km from the cafe stop and rode there for the handover.

This being the initial handover we thought we'd hold the ceremony in the most recognisable of all Audax venues, just in front of the logs and charcoal briquettes, outside an ESSO garage.  I wasn't wet, it wasn't dark and I wasn't shivering, so it wasn't a totally authentic Audax experience.

I think I saw the glimmer of some tears forming in AndyH's eyes during the ceremony, he'll probaly blame it on the NE headwind from Blandford.

Chillmoister, AndyH, LEE, Urban_Biker

AndyH & LEE

(my God, look at my eyes,  I look knackered, that's 100 miles of winter Audaxing for you)

Anyway, it's on its way, maybe I'll see it again at the camping weekend.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #140 on: 22 November, 2010, 10:11:57 am »
The stuff of legends!

« Reply #141 on: 22 November, 2010, 10:23:58 am »
The stuff of legends!

Table leg ends? No, too short and spindly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #142 on: 22 November, 2010, 10:24:28 am »
I'm happy to do Edinburgh-Dundee or Dundee-Aberdeen (or, on a really wimpy schedule, Dundee to Coupar Angus, which is about the shortest distance to the next YACF member unless Dave H still hangs around here.

This thread is useless without pictures so we do need lots of pics of the baton in scenic locations as it passes on. Who is volunteering to take it to Comrie?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #143 on: 22 November, 2010, 11:14:50 am »
Any Scots in London will need to be careful they aren't Harrystanleyed.
Getting there...

AndyH

« Reply #144 on: 22 November, 2010, 01:40:27 pm »
I had a very pleasant day pottering to Romsey and back, on my newly acquired mid 80s Mercian. A day of firsts - first time picking up a baton, first day out for the Mercian, first time riding a brooks (seemed very comfortable), first time with downtube shifters (this century), first time with a dynohub. The ride home was a bit chilly but there was a good sunset and the dark lanes are always good to ride. The combined light of a halogen lumotech and a Hope vision one was excellent - the colours seemed to combine to produce the best white I have ridden by. 

I think I saw the glimmer of some tears forming in AndyH's eyes during the ceremony, he'll probaly blame it on the NE headwind from Blandford.
No, they were tears, the whole ceremony was so moving I thought I might have to lay down on a bag of coal to compose myself.

(my God, look at my eyes,  I look knackered, that's 100 miles of winter Audaxing for you)
Whereas my bags require plastic surgery. Maybe it was the tears.

This is the route of the second leg of the baton's journey. According to my calculations it started 225 miles from Land's End, travelled 135 miles and ended the day 193 miles from Land's end. The stats for my leg were 38.82 miles, 2171 feet of ascent and 2149 feet of descent.

The current favourite for the next leg on the way to Land's End seems to be a meet near Frome with Panoramix who would take it to Bristol. (According to Google Bristol is 198 miles, so it would need to move quickly to regain those 5 miles - Feline ?). Corshamjim could be in attendance to take the photos.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #145 on: 22 November, 2010, 02:27:48 pm »

The current favourite for the next leg on the way to Land's End seems to be a meet near Frome with Panoramix who would take it to Bristol. (According to Google Bristol is 198 miles, so it would need to move quickly to regain those 5 miles - Feline ?). Corshamjim could be in attendance to take the photos.

Do you prefer a Saturday or a Sunday?

Corshamjim you can do a leg if you want to. I have pm'ed Feline, the Devon and the Cornish bits are going to be difficult, long way between each yacfer!

Chief cat entertainer.

LEE

« Reply #146 on: 22 November, 2010, 04:45:38 pm »

Corshamjim you can do a leg if you want to. I have pm'ed Feline, the Devon and the Cornish bits are going to be difficult, long way between each yacfer!

However, the nearer it gets to LE the more appealing it may be for someone to take it there on a day ride, take a photo, and start the JOG journey.  The same person could ride back home with it and then hand it to someone more easterly.

« Reply #147 on: 22 November, 2010, 06:38:54 pm »
I'll be going down to Exeter for Christmas and the New Year, and I'm wondering if there is some way I could do a ride, although I fear Exeter to Bristol and back would be a mite too far!

I imagine I could pop up North on the train, and then cycle back to Exeter, although that would end up with it at my parents, which probably isn't the ideal location!

corshamjim

« Reply #148 on: 22 November, 2010, 07:03:42 pm »

That's very kind Panoramix, let me know what date/time you have sorted and if I'm free on the day will do a few miles either just before or just after (or through) Frome.  For me just getting to Frome and back is a fairly long ride so I can't offer do do more than a token few miles.  I'd be good just to see the baton making it's way though (and to meet some YACFers at last).

« Reply #149 on: 22 November, 2010, 07:15:48 pm »
If it got to somewhere like Chez Feline, I'd certainly consider taking the train up to Weston-super-Mare (about £13), cycling across the 10 miles or so to pick up the baton, then cycle back to Exeter.  The straightforward route, which I've done before is basically along the A38, although there may be a more scenic route.

I could possibly deposit it with Andy Gates, who as I recall is in the vicinity of Isca Dumnoniorum, and then it would be his problem. ;D

Of course, it's entirely possible that by Christmas it will have managed to journey much further onwards, but if not...