Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 177384 times)

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently near Cheddar
« Reply #225 on: 13 December, 2010, 02:47:06 pm »
Cool idea, this! I'm on the map. Sadly I am not on any known route to Scotland, being an Eastern Angle (or a South Folk Saxon, if you prefer)

That should not be any barrier. I'm sure the baton will wander all over on its way to JoG. It hasn't even reached Lands End yet  ;D
Owner of a languishing Langster

LEE

« Reply #226 on: 13 December, 2010, 05:29:16 pm »
Cool idea, this! I'm on the map. Sadly I am not on any known route to Scotland, being an Eastern Angle (or a South Folk Saxon, if you prefer)

That should not be any barrier. I'm sure the baton will wander all over on its way to JoG. It hasn't even reached Lands End yet  ;D

I'm actually hoping it comes back via me again.  Once Audax season really kicks in I reckon it will change hands a lot.  Considering the weather right now it's done better than I expected.  We just need to get that Lands End photo and then we can really get cracking.

« Reply #227 on: 13 December, 2010, 05:38:35 pm »
Any volunteers west of Devon yet? Or any of the Audax Kernow contingent willing to give it a temporary home if I decide to keep on pedaling and take it out of England and over the border into Cornwall :D

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay
« Reply #228 on: 13 December, 2010, 05:41:34 pm »
What a great thread.

Would is be possible for LEE or a mod to update the thread title periodically to let us casual browsers know how close the baton is to our own neck of the woods?

No worries if not.

Simply check out the Bikely link on my original post, page 1.

Plus I will also try to keep the Google map updated as well (link  on Page 1)

« Reply #229 on: 13 December, 2010, 05:55:02 pm »
I've added myself to the map just in case the baton finds itself in the vicinity of Rugby.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #230 on: 13 December, 2010, 05:57:06 pm »
If anyone can give me a flat approved 200 that starts and ends near Feline and has its far end near another YACFr I'll take it on  DIY on Wednesday  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #231 on: 13 December, 2010, 08:04:46 pm »
If anyone can give me a flat approved 200 that starts and ends near Feline and has its far end near another YACFr I'll take it on  DIY on Wednesday  ;D

You would have to come early, I am working on wednesday and will be gone from 8am to 8pm!
Actually scrub that, I can't even guarantee being here at 8am coz I am on call tuesday night!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #232 on: 14 December, 2010, 12:32:40 am »
Scrub it too, 'cos I've mangled together a Winter 200km from me.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #233 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:52:29 pm »
It's looking like the baton might not be able to move on this side of Christmas unless the weather improves! Axbridge and Cheddar are currently nearly impossible to drive through let alone cycle :(

« Reply #234 on: 21 December, 2010, 07:51:38 pm »
Next time need to install a transponder thinks.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #235 on: 21 December, 2010, 08:01:09 pm »
It's looking like the baton might not be able to move on this side of Christmas unless the weather improves! Axbridge and Cheddar are currently nearly impossible to drive through let alone cycle :(

That was yesterday there, (and was the same here). But today its a deal better with the A361 quite clear of snow and ice (lots of crud tho')

What are the roads like around you today?

Still on for a baton transfer around 10:30-10:45?

« Reply #236 on: 21 December, 2010, 09:01:44 pm »

That was yesterday there, (and was the same here). But today its a deal better with the A361 quite clear of snow and ice (lots of crud tho')

The main roads are now quite clear and well salted. Axbridge is still pretty ice bound, I haven't tried to get to Cheddar since friday when they closed the schools, my kids walked home from their dad's (in Cheddar) yesterday because he couldn't get his car out. They said the supermarket in Cheddar is running out of food and had no milk because there had been no deliveries!

I am up for a handover if you are, although I might ride my BSO because it has knobbly tyres! Will have to lube it's chain if I do as hasn't been done in the 15 years I have owned it!

« Reply #237 on: 21 December, 2010, 10:29:05 pm »

The main roads are now quite clear and well salted. Axbridge is still pretty ice bound, I haven't tried to get to Cheddar since friday when they closed the schools, my kids walked home from their dad's (in Cheddar) yesterday because he couldn't get his car out. They said the supermarket in Cheddar is running out of food and had no milk because there had been no deliveries!

I am up for a handover if you are, although I might ride my BSO because it has knobbly tyres! Will have to lube it's chain if I do as hasn't been done in the 15 years I have owned it!

OK sounds viable.

I'll confirm tomorrow morning if I'm riding out.  Probably leave home c09:00 for a 10:30 rendezvous in Axbridge, by the church.  I'll be the only Scots fixed gear cyclist wearing a Marmite cycling jersey - that's fairly definitive  :)

« Reply #238 on: 21 December, 2010, 10:30:36 pm »

OK sounds viable.

I'll confirm tomorrow morning if I'm riding out.  Probably leave home c09:00 for a 10:30 rendezvous in Axbridge, by the church.  I'll be the only Scots fixed gear cyclist wearing a Marmite cycling jersey - that's fairly definitive  :)

I think it's probably safe to say you will be the only other cyclist in Axbridge  ;D

« Reply #239 on: 21 December, 2010, 10:36:45 pm »

OK sounds viable.

I think it's probably safe to say you will be the only other cyclist in Axbridge  ;D

Only -  other than you!  You're as mad as me, but I pre-qualify by place of birth for cycling in snow - wot's your excuse ?

« Reply #240 on: 21 December, 2010, 10:39:30 pm »

OK sounds viable.

Only -  other than you!  You're as mad as me, but I pre-qualify by place of birth for cycling in snow - wot's your excuse ?

I don't mind if I crash my BSO, it cost me £60 brand new from an ad in the Daily Express 16 years ago! I plan to dress as a Michelin-person so I bounce well :)

« Reply #241 on: 21 December, 2010, 10:45:32 pm »

OK sounds viable.

I don't mind if I crash my BSO, it cost me £60 brand new from an ad in the Daily Express 16 years ago! I plan to dress as a Michelin-person so I bounce well :)

Wot!!!!!!!!!!!! A Daily Express reader???? 

It gets worse ;)

« Reply #242 on: 21 December, 2010, 10:47:27 pm »

OK sounds viable.

Wot!!!!!!!!!!!! A Daily Express reader???? 

It gets worse ;)

It was my parents DE, and they cut out the advert and said look, these new bikes are so cheap they are nearly free! They bought a couple of them too and did a LEJOG on them  ;D

« Reply #243 on: 21 December, 2010, 10:50:44 pm »
They bought a couple of them too and did a LEJOG on them  ;D

Strewth!!  Genetic history too !!!

There's no hope is there  :'(

« Reply #244 on: 21 December, 2010, 10:52:11 pm »

I think doing a LEJOG on BSO's probably should earn them some extra kudos LOL. At least they never had to worry about getting them nicked. My dad said it was hilarious his panniers cost him twice as much as the bike!

« Reply #245 on: 21 December, 2010, 10:55:06 pm »

I think doing a LEJOG on BSO's probably should earn them some extra kudos LOL.

That's an interesting and optimistic interpretation of kudos. :D

See you tomorrow for "The Big Cheddar Baton Handover"  :thumbsup:

« Reply #246 on: 21 December, 2010, 10:57:49 pm »
Is the ride likely to come through south Oxfordshire.  I might be available to do a shift.

LEE

« Reply #247 on: 21 December, 2010, 11:06:34 pm »

Don't forget a photo that reflects the snowy weather and hence your determination to achieve a handover.

« Reply #248 on: 21 December, 2010, 11:08:50 pm »

Don't forget a photo that reflects the snowy weather and hence your determination to achieve a handover.

Yep I will get camera on charge and warap it in 10 layers of bubble wrap so it survives any crashes  ;D

« Reply #249 on: 21 December, 2010, 11:09:49 pm »
Is the ride likely to come through south Oxfordshire.  I might be available to do a shift.

It is still heading south towards lands end at the mo, but I'm sure it will be heading somewhere near you at some point on it's way north.