Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 180366 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently near Totnes
« Reply #275 on: 09 January, 2011, 10:45:50 am »
That's a relief, we were quite alarmed by the camera in one hand, baton in the other idea :o

Heading for NSFW - courtesy of Butterfly! That's a rarity! O:-)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #276 on: 09 January, 2011, 02:19:01 pm »
Insert Quote  
Quote from: tonycollinet on Today at 09:53:45 AM
But I can't help thinking that trying to do it right/right handed is going to result in a front/rear wheel interface incident.

Indeed.  I was waiting for this observation.  

This handover was just "posed" for the photo

Here's yesterday's  official, totally unposed, handover photo ;)
kindly snapped by the waitress at the cafe in Willand, East Devon despite the fact that almost all the contents of my Camelbak had leaked all over her wooden floor.........

And if anyone's wanting to take the baton on from me then suggested handover locations include the Fox Tor Cafe in Princetown, The Warren House Inn on Dartmoor (a slight drift off course but well worth it),  or ideally the cocktail bar in the Plymouth Gin Distillery  :)

« Reply #277 on: 09 January, 2011, 07:13:41 pm »
I like the way that slugwash is suggesting routes straight across Dartmoor with the phrase "a slight drift off course".  I don't think it's the off course bit which would worry most people, as much as the more vertical element of the diversion!

Since it's gone way past all my relatives now, I don't think I'm going to be involved again until it's on it's way back through Devon, or more likely when it gets closer to That London.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #278 on: 09 January, 2011, 10:05:32 pm »
Boys, keep off the moors, stick to the roads. The best to ya...
It is simpler than it looks.

LEE

« Reply #279 on: 10 January, 2011, 09:32:28 am »
Nie work gents.

See OP for updated bikely track and photo record

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #280 on: 10 January, 2011, 02:14:09 pm »
I'd like to volunteer my services in baton twirling, based near Aylesbury and able to travel 50 miles in any direction to meet and hand over.

LEE - can you add me to the MAP? - Thanks

Lycra Man

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #281 on: 10 January, 2011, 03:22:27 pm »
Nie work gents.

How many more zigzags before reaching land's end?

Is there an entry in the guiness book of records for the longest ever end to end?
Chief cat entertainer.

LEE

« Reply #282 on: 10 January, 2011, 03:24:49 pm »
I'd like to volunteer my services in baton twirling, based near Aylesbury and able to travel 50 miles in any direction to meet and hand over.

Lycra Man

That's not my map.  Instructions on Page 1 how to add yourself to list of willing Batoneers.

I may have reason to cycle out to Didcot later in the year.  If it's in my posession we could meet up

Rimnod

« Reply #283 on: 10 January, 2011, 04:35:05 pm »
Happy to cover from either the Forth Road Bridge or Kincardine Bridge to Tay Bridge if the baton routes up the east side

« Reply #284 on: 10 January, 2011, 04:46:10 pm »

Lycra Man

That's not my map.  Instructions on Page 1 how to add yourself to list of willing Batoneers.

I may have reason to cycle out to Didcot later in the year.  If it's in my posession we could meet up

Yer'on Lycra Man

« Reply #285 on: 10 January, 2011, 05:36:37 pm »
Nie work gents.

Caption needs a slight amend as the transfer was in Willand, not Tiverton  :thumbsup:

« Reply #286 on: 17 January, 2011, 09:14:18 pm »
I've  been in possession of the coveted YACF baton for some nine or ten days now and it's probably getting near the time to get it moving again.

So step forwards the next volunteer..........

« Reply #287 on: 17 January, 2011, 09:23:13 pm »
I've  been in possession of the coveted YACF baton for some nine or ten days now and it's probably getting near the time to get it moving again.

So step forwards the next volunteer..........

As discussed, you might need to PM AikenDrum

AikenDrum

• Lurker at the gate
    • Audax Kernow
« Reply #288 on: 01 February, 2011, 06:57:08 pm »
You rang?   :demon:
London's burning with boredom now

« Reply #289 on: 01 February, 2011, 08:13:01 pm »
Cheers AikenDrum, looks like you've  saved me from a 200 mile round trip to Lands End and back. You can now have the glory of being the first cog  in the YACF 2011 baton chain from LE to JoG.  ;)

Looks like the next baton handover will be in Bodmin folks  :)

« Reply #290 on: 01 February, 2011, 09:14:19 pm »
Cheers AikenDrum, looks like you've  saved me from a 200 mile round trip to Lands End and back. You can now have the glory of being the first cog  in the YACF 2011 baton chain from LE to JoG.  ;)

:thumbsup:

« Reply #291 on: 01 February, 2011, 09:18:38 pm »
I hope this 'ere chair leg baton is rust proof, barnacle proof, framesaved or whatever......
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #292 on: 01 February, 2011, 09:27:14 pm »
I hope this 'ere chair leg baton is rust proof, barnacle proof, framesaved or whatever......

Well, it is a bannister. But it is varnished  ;D

LEE

« Reply #293 on: 02 February, 2011, 02:14:53 pm »
Cheers AikenDrum, looks like you've  saved me from a 200 mile round trip to Lands End and back. You can now have the glory of being the first cog  in the YACF 2011 baton chain from LE to JoG.  ;)

Excellent.  Don't forget photos (and the unofficial "Best Handover Photo" competition).

When is the Bodmin hand-over ?

AikenDrum is in Penzance so that's about an hour from Lands End I reckon.  Looking forward to the Relay officially starting with a LE photo.  

Edit - Remember that it's PBP year.  A few people are cycling there and back which opens up the possibility of a handover in Paris and/or Brest.  Unfortunately I am driving so I could only carry it whilst on the ride itself.

Any PBPers out there who are cycling there and back?  (Ferries/Eurotunnel are acceptable as long as you cycle to the Terminals.  Cars, Planes and Eurostar are not)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #294 on: 02 February, 2011, 05:26:30 pm »
I think that if the baton makes it way back to Portsmouth in time, it is safe to say that it will make its way to Paris via the ferry somehow.

Convincing somebody to sail the baton across the channel - avoiding thus any form of motorised transport - would propel the whole exercise out of the cool scale.

Assuming the baton is brought to Cowes on the 6th of July, I would manage easily to find a boat who does the Cowes to St Malo race (they are weight concious but 100 g would be OK) and may be able to convince people of the French forum to cycle it from St Malo to Paris!!!

No idea for the return though.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #295 on: 03 February, 2011, 01:06:28 pm »
Well done on getting the Baton moving again!

A good venue for a handover might be Bodmin Jail.  Pre-arrange with the staff and you may be able to do the handover in a cell?  Mention the web site / forum and publicity to the attraction, that should be the 'key' to getting free.  :D
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

Si_Co

« Reply #296 on: 03 February, 2011, 01:16:46 pm »

A good venue for a handover might be Bodmin JailGaol.  Pre-arrange with the staff and you may be able to do the handover in a cell?  Mention the web site / forum and publicity to the attraction, that should be the 'key' to getting free.  :D

FTFY  ;)

Doesn't do to upset the Cornish, though why the owners have decided use to the modern English spelling I don't know. Probably something to do with internet search engines.

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay
« Reply #297 on: 03 February, 2011, 01:51:49 pm »
I could do south Lancs to north Lancs. I think ChocolateBike and RDaviesB might fit in there somewhere too.

Ooops, just seen this  :-[ .
Count me in for any transit between South Cheshire and South Lancashire.
I'll now continue reading the other 20 pages of the thread.......................

*Edit:- I'm now a pile of crap on the map.

AndyH

« Reply #298 on: 03 February, 2011, 02:01:44 pm »
Any PBPers out there who are cycling there and back? 

Hopefully  ;)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #299 on: 03 February, 2011, 03:28:58 pm »

A good venue for a handover might be Bodmin JailGaol.  Pre-arrange with the staff and you may be able to do the handover in a cell?  Mention the web site / forum and publicity to the attraction, that should be the 'key' to getting free.  :D

FTFY  ;)

Doesn't do to upset the Cornish, though why the owners have decided use to the modern English spelling I don't know. Probably something to do with internet search engines.

If you were still living in Cameldungford We could have sorted the relay from LE