Author Topic: "Ting - Ting"  (Read 11096 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: "Ting" "Ting"
« Reply #25 on: 31 March, 2008, 05:51:50 pm »
I have taken to going BEEP-BEEP when my wheelchair's progress is obstructed.

Try saying BEEP-BEEP like a truck reversing. Small children love it.

I go with the "Excuse me" method. Works well, especially on the chavvy kids. Don't have a clue why. Bells seem to irritate people.

There's also a plastic-sounding WARNING, THIS WHEELCHAIR IS ADVANCING/REVERSING I use with some effect.

BEEP-BEEP penetrates the ambient sound more effectively than 'Excuse me' in shops and pubs.

Why do I get the impression the general public is so switched off??

steveB

« Reply #26 on: 31 March, 2008, 06:04:26 pm »
Why do I get the impression the general public is so switched off??

They wouldn't be if we were allowed to carry AK47s to clear the way.

« Reply #27 on: 31 March, 2008, 07:32:48 pm »
apparently horse folks like a shout from as far away as possible so they have a fighting chance of keeping their unpredictable, dangerous, expensive beasts under control. 

Talking from bitter experience?  ;D

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #28 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:25:55 pm »
I tend to go with the "Excuse me, Wide load coming through!" qnd it generally gets a giggle.
When told to "Get a bell" by a narky twunt I asked her if she couldn't hear me shouting from 20 yards away.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
Re: "Ting - Ting"
« Reply #29 on: 03 April, 2008, 11:02:35 pm »
I use a bell, and find it is most effective when used  continuously from a distance until the peds have heard it. If I get to close before a reaction, I revert to voice.

People really appreciate having ADVANCE warning of your approach so they have time to react approprately. Worst reactions I get are when they don't hear me until I am on top of them - because then they are alarmed.

I know from experince of waking that having a fast cyclist go past without warning can be quite scary.

« Reply #30 on: 04 April, 2008, 08:41:01 am »
On the few occasions I do give someone a fright, I like to apologise and wish them a nice day.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

aglet

« Reply #31 on: 04 April, 2008, 09:01:59 am »
[...]
I know from experince of waking that having a fast cyclist go past without warning can be quite scary.

I imagine if you're asleep it might give you quite a start

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #32 on: 04 April, 2008, 11:53:36 am »
The Frankendale has a special front brake which only squeals if applied with extreme prejudice (KoolStop salmon pads).  It's possible to grab and release it quickly, making a horrible you're-about-to-be-mown-down-screech without markedly affecting progress.  Works every time.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

bobmick

« Reply #33 on: 04 April, 2008, 11:55:27 am »
The Frankendale has a special front brake which only squeals if applied with extreme prejudice (KoolStop salmon pads).  It's possible to grab and release it quickly, making a horrible you're-about-to-be-mown-down-screech without markedly affecting progress.  Works every time.

The KoolStop salmon pads do just the same on my touring bike!  Sometimes scares the sh*t outta me so I reckon it has a similar effect on those nearby.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #34 on: 04 April, 2008, 12:00:12 pm »
You should see the toe-in I'm running, too.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #35 on: 05 April, 2008, 01:33:46 am »
[...]

I imagine if you're asleep it might give you quite a start

OK - I had flown overnight from USA - I was tired.  >:( ;D