Author Topic: Exeter Crit, thursday night  (Read 3491 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Exeter Crit, thursday night
« on: 27 May, 2009, 10:42:14 am »
One of those criterium series rides that are being shown on eurosport is happening in Exeter tomorrrow night ( thurs may 28th )

The route seems to go through the main shopping street/past exeter central/turn right at that tower thing/past prison/back to debenhams

Mrs Vorsprung is marshalling so you'd better behave.

The riders (from the recent episodes in MK etc ) seem to be of the Russell Downing type with the odd UK track star thrown in.  So faster than you or me but not as fast as the Giro

Re: Exeter Crit, thursday night
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2009, 10:52:22 am »
ITV4 will show the highlights on Friday 7pm.

Looking forward to seeing my club mate Matt Cronshaw on the telly again. He looked well pleased to get the sprinter's cup on Round one.  :)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2009, 11:00:47 am »
I'll be there!  Clock tower is a tight reflex bend, and if it's wet, that'll be a great place to catch crashes.   :demon:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2009, 11:20:23 am »
I'll be there!  Clock tower is a tight reflex bend, and if it's wet, that'll be a great place to catch crashes.   :demon:

Currently the met office is giving out a forecast of rampant sun from 4pm thurs to the end of the weekend

« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2009, 11:54:32 am »
One of those criterium series rides that are being shown on eurosport is happening in Exeter tomorrrow night ( thurs may 28th )

The riders (from the recent episodes in MK etc ) seem to be of the Russell Downing type with the odd UK track star thrown in.  So faster than you or me but not as fast as the Giro

Actually, back in the days of the Kelloggs, it soon became clear that the GB based riders were actually quicker at this sort of thing than the Continentals - more of this sort of racing rather than longer classics and stage races.

Having seen the televised race from MK on the box I have to say that it was pretty ordinary. I feel that the "new, innovative etc" format for points discourages breaks, especially earlier in the race. Bring back Micky Bath etc I say.

« Reply #5 on: 27 May, 2009, 12:01:16 pm »

Currently the met office is giving out a forecast of rampant sun from 4pm thurs to the end of the weekend

Anybody got an oil can and bucket of water?  :demon: :demon: :demon: :demon: :demon: :demon: :demon:

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #6 on: 27 May, 2009, 01:28:43 pm »
Anybody got an oil can and bucket of water?  :demon: :demon: :demon: :demon: :demon: :demon: :demon:

Not funny.

« Reply #7 on: 27 May, 2009, 02:06:35 pm »
Apologies if you weren't amused.  It was intended to be light hearted when taken in context with the quoted posts.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #8 on: 27 May, 2009, 02:33:50 pm »
Actually, back in the days of the Kelloggs, it soon became clear that the GB based riders were actually quicker at this sort of thing than the Continentals - more of this sort of racing rather than longer classics and stage races.

Ah yes, Steve Joughin, Raleigh-Banana, bikes made of magnesium, jumpers for goalposts...

« Reply #9 on: 27 May, 2009, 02:42:05 pm »

Ah yes, Steve Joughin, Raleigh-Banana, bikes made of magnesium, jumpers for goalposts...

I remember being at one Kelloggs - Nottingham I think. It was wet. Gerry Knetterman and Jan Raas just looked in awe at Phil Thomas cornering and shook their heads.

« Reply #10 on: 28 May, 2009, 11:38:04 pm »
I suggested moving to the Tesco corner as it might be more exciting. Second lap there was a crash. Tight bend, wide road into narrow - first rider hit the kerb then the barrier coming out of the bend. Second rider toppled off over him and others came off as the group slowed - race over for one man.

Said hello to various folk around the place.

First time I've taken the fixed out this year.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #11 on: 28 May, 2009, 11:50:03 pm »
Is that what left the two "30-something" lads so far behind, then?

Hell of an impressive break to get away on such a tight circuit.  The Rapha Condor team and whoever it was in pink and blue seem to have controlled it all with skill and strength.   

Photos!  Tour Series: Exeter - a set on Flickr

I really enjoyed that (and getting all wobbly and sick on the roller racing).  It's just lovely to see bike fun so damn mainstream. 
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #12 on: 29 May, 2009, 12:04:13 am »
Is that what left the two "30-something" lads so far behind, then?
Yes. They'd come off at the back and it took them a while to sort themselves out.

I really enjoyed that (and getting all wobbly and sick on the roller racing).  It's just lovely to see bike fun so damn mainstream. 
I was too late for that; only got back from Scotland via London at Midday. Shame as I believe they were using EWCC's rollers. Did they have the new electronic timing system working?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 29 May, 2009, 12:11:10 am »
Yes, they must have been the Wheeler's ones 'cos there were Wheeler logos around.  I couldn't see any timing system for the dancing black dots.  The crowd-pleaser clock-hands were there, but I think they were using hand stopwatches for the times.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #14 on: 29 May, 2009, 09:12:33 am »

Mrs Vorsprung was marshalling on this corner opposite IanH.  An earlier crash caused the impromptu repair to the barrier with the stripy tape and it was also there that the crash during the race happened.  It was a very minor crash but made an impressive noise as the bikes hit the barrier.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #15 on: 29 May, 2009, 12:48:41 pm »
Crikey, it's narrow there. :o

« Reply #16 on: 29 May, 2009, 08:08:42 pm »
That was a good evening! I was up by the 100m signs - where the boards started. Lots of banging on boards, lots of noise and a fine evenings racing. Was very impressed by quite how many people were there and how involved everyone seemed.

1 hairy moment near us. A water bottle didn't get put back in the cage properly and fell out. They lapped quicker than the marshals could retrieve it and on the next lap the slipstream just pulled it closer and closer to the paceline. Heart in mouth for a few moments as the last guys won't have seen it until the last second - but no crash and the marshals could tidy up!

Impressed with the gap Downing managed to open up on the last lap!

ChrisO

« Reply #17 on: 29 May, 2009, 09:38:43 pm »
Just saw it on ITV4 - good race and looked like a decent crowd too.