Author Topic: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor  (Read 93273 times)

Re: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor
« Reply #775 on: 15 July, 2015, 01:25:11 pm »
Just to be clear, the WCW was created by the late and AUK founder John Nicholas in 1976 and revived by myself last year.  Many different routes have been used over the years.

I very much enjoyed visiting some of the controls on this year's event although 'driving' between them.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #776 on: 15 July, 2015, 03:39:34 pm »
Just to be clear, the WCW was created by the late and AUK founder John Nicholas in 1976 and revived by myself last year. 
Aha. Apologies, and I stand corrected,
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #777 on: 15 July, 2015, 05:11:52 pm »
Any idea which year - I guess as you feel you need to pass on to someone else your creation of the WCW, which is only run in PBP years, then does that mean your new 1,300 will also be in a PBP year?

I'm not sure yet. I might do it instead of LEL in 2021, or in the same year as Mark's event. Mark and I run polar opposite events so I doubt there'd be much overlap, and there are more than enough riders around to make both events a riproaring success.

I see LEL as very much a British event, whereas WCW is an English event. This will be Anglo-Scottish. I've got an outline route which I like the look of a lot. It's now a question of how hilly I do or don't make it, and whether I can make the money stack up.

Having said that, LEL is starting to consume my spare time, so I suspect I'll put planning on ice until 2017. We shall see.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #778 on: 15 July, 2015, 07:31:12 pm »
Any idea which year - I guess as you feel you need to pass on to someone else your creation of the WCW, which is only run in PBP years, then does that mean your new 1,300 will also be in a PBP year?

I'm not sure yet. I might do it instead of LEL in 2021, or in the same year as Mark's event. Mark and I run polar opposite events so I doubt there'd be much overlap, and there are more than enough riders around to make both events a riproaring success.
Yup, deffo enough space for both events. Can't wait untilo 2021 though - pull your finger out!

(1300 is my favourite distance by far.)

I see LEL as very much a British event, whereas WCW is an English event. This will be Anglo-Scottish.
Are you excluding the Welsh, Irish, Cornish ... ? :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #779 on: 15 July, 2015, 07:38:37 pm »

(1300 is my favourite distance by far.)

It is a great distance. The drop in bottom speed really helps structure the ride more towards proper sleeps etc.

An extra 18? Hours over a 1200 and only another 100km - what is not to like?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #780 on: 15 July, 2015, 07:50:05 pm »
I like to claim its not any easier - Its just the only distance allowing civilised start AND finish times. (i.e. in daylight, and not TOO early a start :P )

And no silly "bits" of days (e.g. that daft extra final morning on a 1000km )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #781 on: 15 July, 2015, 07:50:46 pm »
I'm toying with a route from Manchester to Inverness and back. The challenge is getting the "narrative" of the route right, and not packing in too much scenery.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #782 on: 15 July, 2015, 10:50:50 pm »
So this will be the real Northen Powerhouse then? :thumbsup:
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #783 on: 17 July, 2015, 07:24:05 am »
Indeed. In fact there is a way I could add some choice over how hilly the ride is.  I could run an event with two routes, one much more scenic than the other.

« Reply #784 on: 17 July, 2015, 07:58:46 am »
Just get on the tried and trusted E2E route. The cafes will know what cyclists are.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #785 on: 20 July, 2015, 10:57:11 am »
My piece on WCW is in the new issue of Cyclist, which goes on sale on Wednesday...

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #786 on: 20 July, 2015, 11:12:42 am »
There's some great photos in the article citoyen - did you have the photographer following you all weekend?

Well done and I hope it helps attract some new riders to our odd pursuit. 
Right! What's next?

citoyen

« Reply #787 on: 20 July, 2015, 11:23:50 am »
The photographer was keen to follow all weekend but... at professional photographer rates, that probably would have blown the budget for the whole issue. Shame cos it meant no night-time shots but he followed until a bit past Chalgrove so got a decent selection of pics.

The best thing, though, is that he really got a taste for it himself - he is a cyclist but has never tried anything on audax scale before, but he's quite keen to try one now. I've recommended some rides for him.

And hopefully it will be good exposure for AUK too, along with the coverage of PBP in Cycling Plus (even though they're arch rivals in professional terms, it's a decent mag with a good readership, so it's great they're getting into audax too).

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #788 on: 20 July, 2015, 11:24:40 am »
Look forward to reading this.  I do buy the magazine fairly regularly, it seems to be one of the few that contains decent writing rather than advertising blurb. I do find myself questioning why I buy it as it's very speed and performance oriented (but I do keep coming back to it) so this should offer something a bit different.

« Reply #789 on: 29 August, 2015, 10:32:54 pm »
My piece on WCW is in the new issue of Cyclist, which goes on sale on Wednesday...

Now online too - a really nice read.  8)

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/362/audax-a-long-weekend

I quickly got bored of Cyclist as it seemed very upmarket, every issue majored on riding some beautifully surfaced far-flung European passes in permanent sunshine, but after seeing this I'll look at it again.

« Reply #790 on: 29 August, 2015, 10:43:08 pm »
I quickly got bored of Cyclist as it seemed very upmarket, every issue majored on riding some beautifully surfaced far-flung European passes in permanent sunshine, but after seeing this I'll look at it again.

I don't think they've reviewed a bike under £3,500 yet either
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #791 on: 29 August, 2015, 10:54:05 pm »

Do such machines exist?

The far flung stuff is the best part of cyclist. Many ideas for tours and adventures.

Anyway, all OT, but it is great to see more coverage of our odd pursuit in the mainstream cycling mags.
Right! What's next?

citoyen

« Reply #792 on: 07 September, 2015, 03:11:42 pm »

Cheers!

It is what it is. You either buy into the Cyclist aspirational shtick or you don't. It's a coffee table magazine. Clearly it's not for everyone but I think one of the reasons it has done so well is because it filled a genuine gap in the market.

I don't think audax features will become a regular thing, tbh, but you never know. Audax is definitely on the up and maybe it will eventually become popular enough to merit more in-depth coverage.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #793 on: 08 September, 2015, 09:20:19 am »

Do such machines exist?

The far flung stuff is the best part of cyclist. Many ideas for tours and adventures.

Cyclist is the magazine I browse in Sainsburys most often! (keep meaning to order some copies... )

For me, 90% of the bike reviews in ALL the mags are irrelevant. The roads are free to all of us, so I'd rather read about the pretty ones!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #794 on: 08 September, 2015, 11:35:28 am »

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/362/audax-a-long-weekend

:thumbsup:

Cheers - a good account and Audax comes across well..

H

« Reply #795 on: 14 September, 2017, 12:45:53 pm »
I decided against the 1300 in 2018 in the end. I have given up the slot and will help others with their events instead.

WCW is still very much on though for 2019. I've already had one offer to run a control, and will start looking at the route once LEL admin is done. The initial plan is keep the route and controls largely in place, perhaps moving the start from Old Windsor to Windsor and trimming the route by moving the first control.

It will be my typical kind of route - laney and moderately hilly, with full service controls and excellent catering. I'll keep off main roads as much as possible but there will be plenty of options to bash along them if you want to.

As it will be full service it will be probably the priciest 600 in the calendar, but great value for a weekend of cycling and eating.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #796 on: 14 September, 2017, 12:58:55 pm »
I decided against the 1300 in 2018 in the end. I have given up the slot and will help others with their events instead.

WCW is still very much on though for 2019. I've already had one offer to run a control, and will start looking at the route once LEL admin is done. The initial plan is keep the route and controls largely in place, perhaps moving the start from Old Windsor to Windsor and trimming the route by moving the first control.

It will be my typical kind of route - laney and moderately hilly, with full service controls and excellent catering. I'll keep off main roads as much as possible but there will be plenty of options to bash along them if you want to.

As it will be full service it will be probably the priciest 600 in the calendar, but great value for a weekend of cycling and eating.

Sounds ace! :)
Regards,

Joergen

whosatthewheel

« Reply #797 on: 14 September, 2017, 01:08:06 pm »
I suspect in a PBP year it will sell out in seconds. LWL sold out in a day and it's not even a PBP year

citoyen

« Reply #798 on: 14 September, 2017, 01:45:08 pm »

I thought the route last time was superb, so as long as you keep all the best bits of that, I'd be happy. (I remember thinking the 2015 route was an improvement on the 2014 route but can't remember any specific reasons why.)

You could easily charge double the entry fee of last time and it would still be excellent value if the catering is the same. whosatthewheel is right - it will sell out in seconds.

« Reply #799 on: 14 September, 2017, 02:19:30 pm »
I treat WCW as a bit of a test bed for LEL, particularly with regard to training new controllers or trying out new ideas (like dormitories away from controls). So generally I'm happy to subsidise from with the LEL surplus.

I've been prompted to read back through this thread, which has some excellent suggestions for amends to the route. If I can bag more suitable control points, I can cut out the A44 and a couple of the crappy main-road climbs.

But this is all for next year. I have to put LEL to bed first, and get to work on someone else's big event.