Author Topic: SR on Fixed Wheel  (Read 5409 times)

simonp

Re: SR on Fixed Wheel
« Reply #25 on: 26 June, 2018, 03:26:13 pm »
I normally ride about 65" but for PBP I went to 69".

I can* spin to about 210rpm, but not for long.

* Could. Not tried for a while, and my thighs are bigger now.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #26 on: 26 June, 2018, 03:59:35 pm »
I've just fitted a 17t cog to give me a 74.6" gear on the bike I'm using for this weekend's Fairies Flattest 300, which I'm using as a warm-up for the Fenland Friends 600.

19t on the flip side gives me the option of reducing it to 67". Really shouldn't need anything lower than that for these rides.

I've never got close to 210rpm, and don't think I want to either.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #27 on: 26 June, 2018, 04:58:17 pm »
Preferably round ones.
British Olympic super round wheels.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #28 on: 26 June, 2018, 07:33:55 pm »
I got this seasons SFW card validated back in November (I went the AAA route) and 5/6 rides were perms. (I'm aiming for Wessex on fixed this season now, but at that point I didn't think I would be doing any SR series at all. Hardboiled is going to be a perm though - I'm looking for company on it if you are interested!)

Like GB says though, its an honour system.
Rule 77

« Reply #29 on: 26 June, 2018, 10:13:43 pm »
Thanks everyone - honour system it is ! Is it like all other events - one fixed wheel card per ride? ride 42 16 for everything  - reckon that it takes longer at home to change gear than any amount of time i would make upon the road. If it steep enough to walk, then walking is not that much slower and considerably easier almost a rest! It is amazing that once you let go of the stigma of walking up a hill then hills do seem to be less of a worry... now to order some spd sandals to complete picture - i've already got dynamo and the facial hair and this year i am closer to 100 years old than i am to my 1st birthday

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #30 on: 26 June, 2018, 11:08:40 pm »
Thanks everyone - honour system it is ! Is it like all other events - one fixed wheel card per ride?
No, order your fixed wheel challenge card using the contact details on the AUK site, it's got some paper leaves stapled inside, effectively like a little book with each page having a 3 or 4 rows, enter one ride per row. If you're going to a calendar event, take it along and get a stamp and a signature at the end. You can send it back at the end of the season for validation but the FWC man usually takes your word as long as you supply a full record of the rides. Then you can get your name published on the FWC roll of honour at the end of the season if you meet the minimum points threshold which I think is 15 ... enjoy

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #31 on: 27 June, 2018, 07:06:26 am »
There are two flavours of Fixed Wheel Brevet cards: one, as described above, is more of a booklet with space for stamps etc for about 25 events to provide evidence for claims for the Fixed Wheel Challenge requiring 25 points in Audax events on fixed.  The second is a simpler card (Super Fixed Wheeler) with spaces for just the four constituent events of the SR on fixed. A particular event may be entered in both cards for the awards.

Any other queries, just PM me or use the contact details on the AUK website.

Regards,

RP
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #32 on: 27 June, 2018, 09:32:40 am »
You can send it back at the end of the season for validation but the FWC man usually takes your word as long as you supply a full record of the rides. Then you can get your name published on the FWC roll of honour at the end of the season if you meet the minimum points threshold which I think is 15 ... enjoy

This is what I meant. I may have been a bit incomplete with the information, as I assumed he already had a SFW card.
Rule 77

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #33 on: 27 June, 2018, 10:54:52 am »
This is what I meant. I may have been a bit incomplete with the information, as I assumed he already had a SFW card.

No worries, good luck with the Hardboiled  :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #34 on: 27 June, 2018, 11:23:34 am »
Suppose I were to realise late in the season that I was only a couple of rides away from an SFW award... Could I apply for the card and fill in the details of the rides I've already done earlier in the season? Obviously it wouldn't be so easy to get the card signed by the organiser, but since it's all taken on trust anyway, does that matter?

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #35 on: 27 June, 2018, 11:58:46 am »

No worries, good luck with the Hardboiled  :thumbsup:

If it stays this warm, I'll be christening it DryRoasted.
Rule 77

« Reply #36 on: 27 June, 2018, 12:13:47 pm »
Suppose I were to realise late in the season that I was only a couple of rides away from an SFW award... Could I apply for the card and fill in the details of the rides I've already done earlier in the season? Obviously it wouldn't be so easy to get the card signed by the organiser, but since it's all taken on trust anyway, does that matter?

Yes, I only just returned last season's SFW card this month and got a new one from Phixie at the same time - all my rides so far are DIYs anyway. I just email through my claims at the end of the season to appear in the list, as there's little point returning the partially complete FWC card anyway and I haven't been told off yet :-)
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

citoyen

« Reply #37 on: 27 June, 2018, 12:26:09 pm »

Yes, I only just returned last season's SFW card this month and got a new one from Phixie at the same time - all my rides so far are DIYs anyway. I just email through my claims at the end of the season to appear in the list, as there's little point returning the partially complete FWC card anyway and I haven't been told off yet :-)

Thanks. I might be tempted to go for it - just need to find a fixed-friendly 400 and the time to ride it before the end of October...

« Reply #38 on: 27 June, 2018, 12:27:04 pm »

In my experience RP is quite flexible — 'in the spirit' rather than 'to the letter'.