Author Topic: [LEL17] Top tips for doing LEL  (Read 18174 times)

[LEL17] Top tips for doing LEL
« on: 04 July, 2017, 09:06:15 am »
Are there are more top tips for doing LEL.
For example take a small plastic carrier bag to put bidons etc in when going into a control

Re: Top tips for doing LEL
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:57:50 am »
Remember your bike ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:44:45 am »
I have a freezer bag full of thin elastic cords, spring toggles and wire hooks.  I've used bits from that for everything from tying down the bike in the train to holding closed a plastic poncho.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2017, 12:01:20 pm »
Take few cable ties, arguably one of the greatest 'get you out of the deep and smelly' things ever invented. Can fix a multitude of unexpected problems and keep you moving.  :thumbsup:

A

simonp

« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2017, 12:11:07 pm »
Cable ties.

A few spare bolts to match your frame eyelets, bottle cage eyes. Was a life saver in 2013.

Keep your spirits up.

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2017, 12:48:27 pm »
Make sure your bike, shoes, clothes and everything is in the best condition it can be before you think about leaving Loughton.

« Reply #6 on: 04 July, 2017, 01:21:52 pm »
Any advice for footwear in controls where you have to take off shoes? Im looking for ultra light, compact and cheap sandles that I can wear with socks, but struggling...

John

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 04 July, 2017, 01:31:45 pm »
Replace your gear cables beforehand. STI/ Ergo/ etc tend to break cables every 12-18 months.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2017, 01:47:53 pm »
Any advice for footwear in controls where you have to take off shoes? Im looking for ultra light, compact and cheap sandles that I can wear with socks, but struggling...

John
thin plastic sock covers  provided
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2017, 02:08:39 pm »
For example take a small plastic carrier bag to put bidons etc in when going into a control

In 2013, there was a bidon refilling station* outside at each control, so there was no need to take your bidons in.

*: Some were very creative regarding industrialization of the bidon refilling process.

« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2017, 02:15:52 pm »
thin plastic sock covers  provided
:thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 04 July, 2017, 02:50:25 pm »
If your frame has a replaceable mech hanger, carry a spare. Weighs very little and could save a ride (and a great deal of expense).
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #12 on: 04 July, 2017, 05:11:38 pm »
If your frame has a replaceable mech hanger, carry a spare. Weighs very little and could save a ride (and a great deal of expense).

It's best to cable-tie that to the rear dropout, next to the mech hanger. It's worth testing whether you can remove those cable ties, they can be very tenacious. Releasable ones are best for attaching a spare tyre.

« Reply #13 on: 04 July, 2017, 06:30:14 pm »
If possible, include a few cobbled hills (both down and uphill) during your final weeks of training.

Phil W

« Reply #14 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:15:08 pm »
If you are planning to replace anything on the bike then do it now. Go out for a few rides to ensure its all good. Then leave your bike alone. Do not do any last minute fettling close to the event. Sod's law will apply to whatever you decide to do last minute.

Ben T

« Reply #15 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:04:04 pm »
If possible, include a few cobbled hills (both down and uphill) during your final weeks of training.

Just go on a tour of Halifax.

« Reply #16 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:41:18 pm »
Load up the bike just like you plan to do on the day, and then throw some stuff out ...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #17 on: 05 July, 2017, 10:47:20 pm »
Carry a spare pair of socks, in a waterproof bag.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #18 on: 05 July, 2017, 11:05:09 pm »
Get at least 2 hours sleep a night (= earplugs). Do not sleep in your shorts but have a wash, apply some nappy rash cream and sleep in some loose fitting e.g. boxers to help stuff heal before the next day.

Pre PBP Orangj suggested using different brand shorts if you plan to use more than one during the ride. Good advice.

« Reply #19 on: 06 July, 2017, 06:49:45 am »
Carry a spare pair of socks, in a waterproof bag.

In two waterproof bags, in case you need to wear the bags as well.

« Reply #20 on: 06 July, 2017, 07:21:33 am »
Get at least 2 hours sleep a night (= earplugs). Do not sleep in your shorts but have a wash, apply some nappy rash cream and sleep in some loose fitting e.g. boxers to help stuff heal before the next day.

Pre PBP Orangj suggested using different brand shorts if you plan to use more than one during the ride. Good advice.

Interesting, what's the thought with the shorts ?

« Reply #21 on: 06 July, 2017, 07:54:19 am »
Interesting, what's the thought with the shorts ?

I would have thought different short brands will have different padding contours, varying any pressure points. I guess not a problem if you have a shorts/saddle combo that works for you.

Number of shorts is the open question for me. I'm thinking 2 pairs, washing the pair just worn at the end of the day, drying whilst I sleep and then on top of my panniers if it isn't raining.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #22 on: 06 July, 2017, 11:24:54 am »
If your arse starts really hurting, drop your tyre pressures.

« Reply #23 on: 06 July, 2017, 12:26:01 pm »
If your arse starts really hurting, drop your tyre pressures.

... but don't do that at night if you are not sure you can see clearly all the potholes. A pinch flat at night in a remote place can be a very painful experience too!

« Reply #24 on: 06 July, 2017, 02:03:35 pm »

Number of shorts is the open question for me. I'm thinking 2 pairs, washing the pair just worn at the end of the day, drying whilst I sleep and then on top of my panniers if it isn't raining.

Isn't this why we have bag drops?