Author Topic: Borders of... Fife 200 - 2018  (Read 2934 times)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
Borders of... Fife 200 - 2018
« on: 18 July, 2017, 02:27:38 pm »
I'm trying my hand as a New Organiser this year. I have my first calendar event on the 23rd Sept from Fife, just north of Edinburgh.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-427/

I've a few details to finalise but have had some fantastic help and support from local riders preparing for this.

Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Rimnod

Re: Borders of... Fife 200
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2017, 06:54:34 pm »
I have this pencilled in.  Looking forward to it.

Regards

Andy

« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2017, 02:00:10 pm »
I used to live in Crail and my mum still does. She's super keen to see me on this ride so I'll be pencilling it in as well.

I'll be interested to see where the control is. Can I suggest the little cafe on the road down to the harbour? Even if not, the harbour (and cafe) are worth a short detour.

Dave_C

« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2017, 09:34:20 am »
I used to live in Crail and my mum still does. She's super keen to see me on this ride so I'll be pencilling it in as well.

I'll be interested to see where the control is. Can I suggest the little cafe on the road down to the harbour? Even if not, the harbour (and cafe) are worth a short detour.

Thanks for the tip!  :thumbsup: Could your mum not put on tea and scones? [joke]

« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2017, 09:34:16 am »
Looking forward to this tomorrow.  Forecast looks dry which is good news.

Rimnod

« Reply #5 on: 22 September, 2017, 07:12:05 pm »
Just dropped the bike in car.  Looking forward to this.  A lot of local roads for me,  no major scenic bits, plenty of coffee stops with a decent weather forcast; looks like a great day out.

« Reply #6 on: 24 September, 2017, 08:06:41 am »
Great route, cracking day, especially the morning, good food at the end and good company on the ride.  Enjoyed the off-road part too!

Well done to DaveC and hoping that this will become an annual event.

« Reply #7 on: 24 September, 2017, 09:22:50 am »
Congratulations on organising your first Audax Dave

I think it's safe to say, from the comments on here and elsewhere, it was a success.

:thumbsup:
@CorbieLinnRider

Dave_C

« Reply #8 on: 25 September, 2017, 09:00:45 am »
Congratulations on organising your first Audax Dave

I think it's safe to say, from the comments on here and elsewhere, it was a success.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Mucker!! Nice to see you on the day.

Dave_C

« Reply #9 on: 12 September, 2018, 05:09:00 pm »
This coming Saturday is my 2nd running of the Borders of Fife. A 200km Audax BR from Dalgety Bay Scout Hut at 8am. Entries have now closed but I thought I'd remind folk who have entered, that if you do not intend on starting, I would appreciate a short email saying as such.

Reminder - The start is at the Scout Hut at KY3 0RY. Please park on the road next to the cemetery and leave the spaces closest to the church for the church users.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-427/

Kindest regards, Dave C

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Borders of... Fife 200 - 2018
« Reply #10 on: 12 September, 2018, 06:41:07 pm »
Home territory, only need to find the route out to Kilconquhar and back in from Yetts;
But having only stopped once in Abernethy and with that being on a group ride, I have no idea where to control there! (GSVing it now)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #11 on: 12 September, 2018, 07:00:30 pm »
Looking forward to it.
Will see you on Saturday.

« Reply #12 on: 12 September, 2018, 08:52:34 pm »
Sorry to be missing this one, i enjoyed it last year
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #13 on: 12 September, 2018, 09:14:13 pm »
Hoping to be there.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #14 on: 12 September, 2018, 09:47:45 pm »
Cant make it - Uni open day to take my youngest to.
Hope it all goes well.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #15 on: 12 September, 2018, 09:59:10 pm »
Also Ferryport-On-Craig "Monte-Carlo" Co-Op or Tayport "Dodge City" Co-Op hm...

« Reply #16 on: 13 September, 2018, 10:33:59 am »
I would love to join this one, but I won't make it this year.

Good luck to all participants and to you, Dave! I hope you will have at least the same number of participants as you had last year.

Still have to do my write up of L-E-L '17.

« Reply #17 on: 14 September, 2018, 01:48:50 pm »
@FifeingEejit You could try the Jamesfield Farm Shop and Restaurant up a side road about one km east of Abernethy. It's apparently acceptable as an Abernethy POP. They do soup, filled rolls etc. Used it on the Forth and Tay.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #18 on: 14 September, 2018, 02:14:26 pm »
@FifeingEejit You could try the Jamesfield Farm Shop and Restaurant up a side road about one km east of Abernethy. It's apparently acceptable as an Abernethy POP. They do soup, filled rolls etc. Used it on the Forth and Tay.

Never knew of that place!
The route passes my parents road end bang on the 100km mark; I've not yet decided how to deal with that!
Lunch or head down and ignore... hm...

What I am fairly convinced of is I can't be bothered with the A91 at Arlary so will split off up the Dumcreivie road at Glenfarg village in order to take the road down to the A91 on the edge of Milnathort. Reckon you get a better view of the paps of fife from that road too.

Another diversion I have in mind is to go by the Creich road and climb over the Normans Law road rather than go straight down the coast road from Hazleton Walls.

More distance and more climbing but since I'm on home territory I may as well enjoy the landscape.
Though I won't go quite as far as riding through Dunning to Auchterarder to get Gleneagles and Glen Devon in.

« Reply #19 on: 14 September, 2018, 03:28:14 pm »
I have the same issue, my mother's in Crail but at the far end. Maybe I'll suggest she walk round to the High Street at the back of 10am. I can wave as I pass.

Thanks for the alternative route ideas.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #20 on: 15 September, 2018, 06:06:27 pm »
I think I met your mum!

I'd just arrived at the convenience store in Crail, wearing an Audax Ecosse top.
A woman came up to me and asked if I was doing the Audax around Fife. Slightly taken aback by this, I said I was.
She asked if I was the first one through, and I said I was, but the others would not be far behind.
She explained she was waiting for you.
I did note she seemed to have a large tray of something I took to be edible!

Anyways, a Grand Day Out.
The weather was cool but otherwise fine.
A nice taillie out to Crail which was paid for and then some when we turned SW at Tayport, with a long grind into the headwind as far as Clackmannan.

Thanks to Dave Crampton for organising.
A grand spread at the finish, and I did pour some of my can of Fanta into my plate of Ice Cream to make an Ice Cream Float. I was 8 all over again!

« Reply #21 on: 15 September, 2018, 08:32:55 pm »
She wanted to be sure not to miss us this year so she had been waiting since 9am. But she'd talked to lots of people and mentioned that she'd spoken to you. She seems to have enjoyed hanging around the street corner. The pastries were very welcome.

I really enjoyed the ride. Good company and excellent organisation.