Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL. PBP and the Mersey Road 24.  (Read 2135 times)

[LEL17] LEL. PBP and the Mersey Road 24.
« on: 18 August, 2017, 07:33:07 am »
I was looking through the Brampton Control footage, and Heather Swift checked in Jasmijn Muller at 2.20 am on the Monday morning. The current interest in women in endurance cycling is commendable, But Heather DNF'd PBP in 1999, finished in 2003, and rode multiple Mersey Roads 24s from 1999, albeit a lot slower than Jasmijn. Later on, another woman who completed the 24 the week before, was checking in riders on the Brampton desk.

Whilst standing outside Kings College in Cambridge, it occurred to me that I'd encountered the endurance cycling equivalent of the dons walking past me. Out on the road and in the controls.

Ivo once said to me that Arrivee was more like a learned journal than a club magazine. I've often compared the PBP registration to a freshers week, with riders comparing qualifiers, as if they were A levels.

Familiarity with graduates of LEL, PBP, the 24, and other 1200+ rides, meant that I was able concentrate attention on those who hadn't participated in such events before, which injected some variety.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
Re: LEL. PBP and the Mersey Road 24.
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2017, 12:18:04 pm »
I spotted another woman from the 24hr (Essex Road Club) finishing at Loughton some time on Thursday afternoon as well, and she was still smiling away too.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2017, 01:46:17 pm »
Edwin Hargraves was on the desk at Thirsk when I called in. He's done LEL, and PBP, and he won the Mersey Roads 24 in 1998 with 462.20. He's one of the timekeepers, and the go-to guy for finding out where riders will finish on the 24, thanks to his magic spreadsheet.

« Reply #3 on: 23 August, 2017, 01:49:38 pm »
I spotted another woman from the 24hr (Essex Road Club) finishing at Loughton some time on Thursday afternoon as well, and she was still smiling away too.

that will be Georgina Cleere

« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2017, 06:57:26 am »
Edwin Hargraves was especially useful in organising the sleep chart at Thirsk.