Author Topic: Mille Cymru 2018  (Read 57187 times)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
Re: Mille Cymru 2018
« Reply #225 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:02:57 am »
Friday night should be quite a show, if the cloud cover holds off
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jul/22/longest-lunar-eclipse-century-uk-celestial-thrill

Longest lunar eclipse of century to give UK a rare celestial thrill
Spectacular blood moon will be visible from Friday night until next morning

« Reply #226 on: 23 July, 2018, 10:45:50 am »
Are people planning on doing much night riding? What are people thinking in terms of sleep strategies?

« Reply #227 on: 23 July, 2018, 11:01:31 am »
I'm expecting about 2 hours per night and get moving about 4 am each morning but we will see.
Completed LEL on 11-12 hours in total.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
LFCC

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #228 on: 23 July, 2018, 11:13:42 am »
I don't have much experience of multi-day rides and I haven't done the full spreadsheet thing yet, but...

Sunset is about 9:20pm. Based on my time around the Elenydd in April, I think I'll need to do 3 to 5 hours of riding after dark each day. I'm hoping to complete day one in a similar time to my Elenydd, then probably an extra two hours for the second day if reports are to be believed. So if I set off on the second day about 6am, two hours earlier than the previous day's start, I should arrive back at Llanwrtyd about the same time. I won't nap during the day unless I'm dangerously sleepy which is rare for me - the problem is usually getting to sleep!

If that goes to plan I'll aim to be on the road at 6am the next two days as well.

That said, I'm planning to have sufficient lighting and spare batteries in the drop bag for some through the night efforts if required.

What are people thinking of putting in their drop bags?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #229 on: 23 July, 2018, 11:18:24 am »
I'm hoping to complete day one in a similar time to my Elenydd, then probably an extra two hours for the second day if reports are to be believed.

Never done a mille, but on a 600 day two is a lot slower than day one for me, even on exactly the same roads... My guess is you need to make good time on day one to get a few hours sleep or you will run on a deficit way too early and struggle to make control times. If you can make the first night control before midnight you're in a good place...

« Reply #230 on: 23 July, 2018, 11:25:25 am »
I'm expecting about 2 hours per night
Christ.

If that goes to plan I'll aim to be on the road at 6am the next two days as well.
6am at the latest is my working plan, see how I go on the day(s) though. If I can get away an hour earlier, that'd be grand, but even later wouldn't be end of days as you could make up time by riding through the last night.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #231 on: 23 July, 2018, 12:18:36 pm »
Are people planning on doing much night riding? What are people thinking in terms of sleep strategies?
Get to sleep stop as soon as I can and (if it's still dark) sleep until departing at dawn. Not so much a plan as a necessity. If this fails, daytime cat nap in the shade if it gets hot.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #232 on: 23 July, 2018, 12:41:44 pm »
What Smeth said !

Riding off into the dawn often gives me a lift. It's the coldest part of the day, but it's easier to get going (for me anyway) at dawn than in the small hours.

Any sleep I can get before then will be most welcome ...

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #233 on: 23 July, 2018, 03:13:52 pm »

Spent yesterday printing and labelling up the brevet cards and tags for the drop bags, planning our menu for Llanwrtyd, and confirming the arrangements with the first control at Bwlch y Sarnau - the community run Glyndwr's Way cafe are opening up specially for us, and a sandwich/cake/banana/drink meal deal is included in your entry fee.

All in we've got staffed controls with food included everywhere except for 3 on the second day and Llanberis (where Pete's Eats are primed for your arrival).
Thanks John,  sounds great! ...I doubt imagine there'll be much open in Llanberis by the time I get there  :facepalm: on reflection, as it's summer holidays i doubt the garage will need to do much different as there'll be a lot more cars than bikes so they'll probably carry as much stock as they can as I expect it's one of their busier weeks... and anyway, I'll no doubt be happy to eat/stick in the Carradice whatever they've got left.

rottenhat

• Audax Irlande
    • Audax Ireland
« Reply #234 on: 23 July, 2018, 03:22:36 pm »

Make the most of daylight hours, minimise riding in the dark...finish the first day by midnight, fart around for an hour or so showering and eating, sleep three hours, fart around for an hour eating and summoning up the will to leave, get back on the road at 5. Hope to finish the second day by 10:30 or 11, same routine as the previous night but with more sleep, back on the road at 5. Might push on through the third night to get it over with, might not, depending on how much fun the Lake Vrynwy control is and how sparky I'm feeling...it is a pretty benign run for home.

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #235 on: 23 July, 2018, 04:32:17 pm »
Starting early each day is the way to go I reckon. Sunrise is @ 5:18, sunset at 21:15, so early starts will make better use of the daylight. And as the forecast is starting to look scorchio again, will give you more miles at the coolest part of the day.

Day 1 is 300k, with a similar amount of climbing to the Elenydd. 16-17hrs to get to Llanwrtyd before 1 will give time for a couple of hours kip before heading out again at 5am latest.

Day 2 is 320k, the amount of climbing is similar but as everyone will tell you, it's not a quick ride on this leg, and the 2018 version is tougher by some way than the 2014 route. The first 240k particularly - once you get to Laugharne the 80k back to Llanwrtyd are definitely easier. Whatever you do on Day 1 you can add an hour for the extra 20k, another hour because you're tired and another hour because it's just a slow part of the route. So leaving at 5am will get you back for midnight-1am again with time for another few hours kip.

Day 3 is another 320k to Vyrnwy. An early start will see you with a decent chance of making Pete's Eats (230k), which I'd definitely be wanting to do, as the 90k from there to Vyrnwy is hard - 3 big mountain climbs, remote country, and almost certainly in the dark - you really want some time in hand leaving Llanberis. Once you get past Aberystwyth though it's an easy run up the coast so you can get some time back on the way to Llanberis.

From Vyrnwy it's an easy run back to the finish once you've got the initial climb away from the lake done with. There'll be plenty of sleeping space at Vyrnwy and Danial runs a great control, so get another couple of hours kip and leave at first light again to do the last bit in daylight and finish at a civilised hour (which I definitely will appreciate not having to stay up all night).

« Reply #236 on: 23 July, 2018, 05:39:46 pm »
That's brilliant advice, thanks.

I forgot to mention the heat. If it's going to be roasting again, I'll be looking to leave well early and taking the siesta approach. I'm too ginger for it.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #237 on: 23 July, 2018, 05:49:32 pm »
Thursday will be hot... if you are lucky on friday you'l get showered throughout the day... saturday looks good 20-22 degrees

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #238 on: 23 July, 2018, 06:00:01 pm »
thanks John, great advice. ok, early early start on Saturday, aim for Pete's if at all possible it is.

Day 2 ...and the 2018 version is tougher by some way than the 2014 route. The first 240k particularly
I'm pretty sure Day 2 of the 2014 version was the hardest thing I've ever ridden. Well, that's how it felt. Harder?! Excellent :thumbsup:

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #239 on: 23 July, 2018, 06:07:43 pm »
Thursday definitely looking scorchio - 28/29 afternoon temps forecast, sunny with a light southerly. Fri onwards daytime temperatures are looking more manageable around 20c. Overcast in Llanwrtyd (so chances of seeing that lunar eclipse not looking too good). Clearer out towards the west on Day 2 (usually is as you get over the hills), with a freshening west-south-westerly to blow you back to Llanwrtyd. Wind continuing to move round to the south west on Saturday which will blow you up the coast to Llanberis, but after that it's likely to be southerly ~20mph which will be a pig heading over to Vyrnwy. Night-time temperatures forecast in the low teens throughout, but I'd always take them with a pinch of salt - ime it's always a good few degrees cooler up on the hills in the middle of nowhere (which you will be, particularly on Saturday night). Apart from Thursday which is going to be b***ard hot doesn't look too bad for the rest.

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #240 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:24:40 pm »
Thanks John, that sounds like a sensible way to think about it.

I'm doing my usual thing of trying to identify all the controls via Google streetview so it shouldn't require much effort to find them when I'm tired and it might be dark.

I think I've found the Cwmyoy village hall tucked away a little after Llanthony, but I can't identify Llwyncelyn Farm. It doesn't seem to be marked on the map. I'm hoping there will be nice bright AUK banners outside on the day. I'm a little worried only knowing that it's near Cilgerran, plus or minus 2km. I noticed the GPX file has a tiny branch to the South-East around 106km - is that it?

The Aberystwyth control is in... an industrial estate?   ;D

« Reply #241 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:34:27 pm »

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #242 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:42:04 pm »
Spot on JonBuoy, head round the back of the house.

The RWGPS route linked from the calendar page has all the controls marked precisely if you want to snoop around on StreetView.

The Aberystwyth control is in... an industrial estate?   ;D

Yes, Andy Cox will be running that one - his boss has volunteered his work place - kitchens, toilets, sleeping space & showers plus bike workshop. We used up all the glamour with the National 400 control at the Bandstand last year, so no visit to the seafront for you, just the industrial estate.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Afan+Electrical+Ltd/@52.4015664,-4.0497737,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x486f76233be270d1:0xa2f7c8bb8e48ea62!8m2!3d52.4015664!4d-4.0475797

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #243 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:53:24 pm »
Thanks, that's hugely reduced my pre ride anxiety! 

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #244 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:59:47 pm »
I'm hoping there will be nice bright AUK banners outside on the day.

Yes, all the staffed controls have been issued with big AUK banners

Lee Killestein

« Reply #245 on: 24 July, 2018, 02:42:19 pm »
Just emailed Force GB about jersey availability and they replied that the deadline had passed for the ordering (July 6th) and all current orders had been dispatched  :'( :'(
They told me any further print runs will depend on an order from 'Audax'??? If i'd have known there was a deadline i'd have thrown my money at them!

Are there many other riders like me that want a jersey but were holding off until after they'd earned it?

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #246 on: 24 July, 2018, 02:51:43 pm »
Well there was obviously a deadline for getting your jersey before the event, but I was expecting that they would continue to be available afterwards. I'll follow it up after the event with Danial to see about getting them on the ForceGB shop again as I'm sure there'll be others wanting a jersey after they've earned it.

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #247 on: 24 July, 2018, 02:53:36 pm »
If I'm up to the challenge then I'd certainly like a jersey with a dragon on it!

Lee Killestein

« Reply #248 on: 24 July, 2018, 03:01:15 pm »
Well there was obviously a deadline for getting your jersey before the event, but I was expecting that they would continue to be available afterwards. I'll follow it up after the event with Danial to see about getting them on the ForceGB shop again as I'm sure there'll be others wanting a jersey after they've earned it.

Thanks John. I'm not surprised there was a deadline, I just didn't know when it was. I expected the club shop to stay open on their website to allow them to collect orders until the optimum number was reached to make another print run economically viable for them. Really need to make sure I get round now!  :P

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #249 on: 24 July, 2018, 03:46:40 pm »
Word of warning to anyone else trying to use Open Office / Libre Office / Google Docs etc to print the route sheet: these all seem to truncate the text and lose line of instructions from several of the "quarter-pages".

https://smallpdf.com/word-to-pdf seems to do a good job converting it to PDF (just the first online converting tool I tried... I would never recommend such things for personal docs)

For your convenience, I uploaded my converted PDFs:  Route sheet (Update 24/Jul), Info sheet