Author Topic: 2018 North Yorkshire Brevets Unpopulaire  (Read 25832 times)

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
Re: 2018 North Yorkshire Brevets Unpopulaire
« Reply #150 on: 30 April, 2018, 12:15:42 pm »
G-Ones or full-on CX tyres: how muddy is it likely to be underwheel?

I saw a couple of bikes with Schwalbe G-Ones. I was wondering how they coped with the first section of off road which was extremely muddy.
I bought a pair of Panaracer gravelking mud. They coped with everything extremely well. I am very happy with them and would highly recommend them.

« Reply #151 on: 30 April, 2018, 01:27:26 pm »

I saw a couple of bikes with Schwalbe G-Ones. I was wondering how they coped with the first section of off road which was extremely muddy.
I bought a pair of Panaracer gravelking mud. They coped with everything extremely well. I am very happy with them and would highly recommend them.

The G-ones coped pretty well, I didn't do any lying down in the mud anyway, and only had to take a couple of steps to lift the bike up onto the field edge on Foxton Lane.

I did attack the mud a bit mind, on the theory that the G-ones had more grip than the Keo's, and was obviously still wearing it up the incline, to Deano's amusement.

« Reply #152 on: 30 April, 2018, 01:40:33 pm »
Just endorsing what Terry from Bury said about the 300k.  I expected a good ride but hadn't thought it would be that good.  Almost entirely on lovely, relatively quiet roads with scenery in abundance, plenty of café options and always interesting.  I'd not been up the Dale to Litton before, or over the moor between Tebay and Brough, both were a delight.....and to top it all, beer and a party at the finish.  It will be the gravel for me next year but I'm keen to have another go round the 300 too.  It is not an easy ride (the wind didn't help) but deserves to become a classic.  I'd say it rivals Yr Elenydd as one of the very best 300k rides on the calendar.  Thanks Dean, Mike and all the other helpers....oh and I enjoyed the lentil soup too.

« Reply #153 on: 30 April, 2018, 02:01:53 pm »
I'm not sure how much better it gets. The 150km route had it all; virtually deserted roads throughout, splendid off-road sections of varying technical challenge, and the Ingleby Incline. Oh, and no rain for the duration of the ride.

So thanks to Deano for putting on such a superb event, and to the various helpers spread liberally around the route.

Below is an unknown cyclist approaching the first off-road section.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #154 on: 30 April, 2018, 02:51:17 pm »

Think that's technocycle?

« Reply #155 on: 30 April, 2018, 03:35:08 pm »

Mike flogged along on his G-Ones, even the muddy bits, but he has quite tall dimples (on his tyres).

« Reply #156 on: 30 April, 2018, 03:37:35 pm »
Fantastic weekend, I absolutely loved it perhaps with the exception of Mocket House which I'd only done as a descent before and I think it's better that way ;)
Many thanks to Deano for the routes and organisation, to Mike for all his hospitality and Dave and family for the cake van.

I'll sort through the pics I took and pop some of the better ones up here later, meanwhile I'm already thinking about riding it again - it was that good!

Thanks, Al. Someone suggested renaming the ride Welcome to the Monket House. I'd prefer Too Much Monket Business, though...

PS Did everyone notice that Monket House is up for sale? Someone buy it, then I promise to run the rides again, if we can use it as a control: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67419056.html

« Reply #157 on: 30 April, 2018, 09:05:16 pm »
Wow what an epic day out on the bike... loved it - cracking route Dean and many thanks to all his helpers... I was very cream crackered at the end !

Here's my pics on FB for them that are happy to click through to there (they are all public)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10156322050799938.1073741932.814969937&type=1&l=f6a1ae1bb1

Cheers jibers - what an excellent set. Love the details, too, your knowledge of the geography puts me to shame.

« Reply #158 on: 30 April, 2018, 09:10:07 pm »
Just endorsing what Terry from Bury said about the 300k.  I expected a good ride but hadn't thought it would be that good.  Almost entirely on lovely, relatively quiet roads with scenery in abundance, plenty of café options and always interesting.  I'd not been up the Dale to Litton before, or over the moor between Tebay and Brough, both were a delight.....and to top it all, beer and a party at the finish.  It will be the gravel for me next year but I'm keen to have another go round the 300 too.  It is not an easy ride (the wind didn't help) but deserves to become a classic.  I'd say it rivals Yr Elenydd as one of the very best 300k rides on the calendar.  Thanks Dean, Mike and all the other helpers....oh and I enjoyed the lentil soup too.

Cheers Mike - I'm sure someone else compered it to the Elenith, but I can't remember who that was. I'll have to go down and ride that sometime myself.

I am tempted to give it a ride in the opposite direction this summer, and skip Askwith Moor on the way back for the delights of Wetherby Services and a run back up the A1 corridor, which will make the Grains o't'Beck road a bit easier as you get that marvellous swoop down to Brough, but the climbs out of Stainforth and Dent will be absolute bastards the other way around.

« Reply #159 on: 30 April, 2018, 09:12:36 pm »
I'm not sure how much better it gets. The 150km route had it all; virtually deserted roads throughout, splendid off-road sections of varying technical challenge, and the Ingleby Incline. Oh, and no rain for the duration of the ride.

So thanks to Deano for putting on such a superb event, and to the various helpers spread liberally around the route.

Thanks, psyclist - I'll pass on this on to Mike, family, and the other helpers, most of whom don't lurk here.

PS It looks like technocycle to me in your photo as well.

« Reply #160 on: 30 April, 2018, 10:17:05 pm »
DKttR - 24 starters and 20 finishers.

MGF - 30 starters and 27 finishers.

Over the 3 rides, Newby Wiske felt full, and it was a lot of fun. And here come the photos.

Proper bikes at the start. I was very disappointed that no one rode on anything really inappropriate, and the award for the Least Appropriate Bike went to Uncle Roy and yorkshire pedaller on the tandem, by general acclaim.

tom_e nearest the camera:

Andrew Gardiner and Ian Ryall. Ian would like me to call your attention to the size of his saddlebag:

yorkshire pedaller and Uncle Roy tandem-wrangling up the Incline:

A parmo and two pints of OP each at the Lion set them up well for the second half, despite a mashed chainring and a rear tyre blowout:

Steve GT and his mate:

Second prize in the Category "Looking Utterly Delighted at Having a Camera Pointed at You" goes to Si S :D

And looking a little happier later on:

But the winner is... ramcityrocker:

(click to show/hide)

Most Disregard for Personal Safety Whilst Taking a Selfie Award:

psyclist, jiberjaber and D.A.L.E.

Beard of the Ride award, runner-up (it was a hard-fought contest):

And the winner:

(click to show/hide)

SoreTween:

Mr Bond:

stretch:

technocycle:

iddu:

Aidan:

And the best bit of all, the campervan control down Bransdale:

All the rest are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30024450@N04/albums/72157666409559767

Chris S

« Reply #161 on: 30 April, 2018, 11:40:56 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #162 on: 01 May, 2018, 02:25:58 am »

Think that's technocycle?
Sure is.

« Reply #163 on: 01 May, 2018, 12:59:14 pm »
You have a funny idea of happiness Deano  :)

Now I was very happy to John and Jill's campervan, without that and I reckon I'd still be sitting on a hillside. I'd stupidly added a second Nuun tablet to a bottle that had already got one in and every time I had a sip I thought I was going to see my lunch again, fresh water really did the trick and I enjoyed the climb up Cowhouse and the subsequent bit of flying down through the woods.

The scenery all round this was amazing, sitting in the sun on Rag Robin, sheltered from the wind, I really was at total peace with the world, although it evaporated pretty quickly since the sound of metal on metal under braking when descending Kepwick was a little disconcerting, but I was stuffed if I was stopping to change the pads that close to the finish.

Still feeling it today.

« Reply #164 on: 02 May, 2018, 04:15:03 pm »
I'm still feeling it  :facepalm:

I've posted some photos on my Instagram. If I can summon up the energy to deal with Flickr, I'll get the rest posted up soon.

« Reply #165 on: 02 May, 2018, 07:31:36 pm »

Proper bikes at the start. I was very disappointed that no one rode on anything really inappropriate, and the award for the Least Appropriate Bike went to Uncle Roy and yorkshire pedaller on the tandem, by general acclaim.

Sorry I missed it this year - had to attend a training session instead, I'm volunteering to help with Tall Ships Sunderland in July.  Maybe next year I can have another go at the inappropriate bike on my Moulton TSR.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #166 on: 02 May, 2018, 07:47:04 pm »

Fine here too. They picked up a lot of mud which my guard stays deposited onto the brake caliper (squeeeeeeek) necessitating a water bottle jet wash at the Lion. Only time I lost traction was on the smooth wet cobbles out of the first ford.  At the other end of the scale they survived the brick yard too though I DNF'd before the roughest test on the route, the descent to Cockayne.  Just for variety and the opportunity to carry all the tools I was tubeless at the front and tubed rear.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #167 on: 02 May, 2018, 08:25:01 pm »
Some great pics there Deano, I'm still smiling from Saturday!

A few of mine, excuse some of the captions, I'm not too sure where some of them were taken:

We're off:
And we're off into the mist by Al, on Flickr

Somebody left this here:
Deano's steed by Al, on Flickr

Jibberjabber:
Jibberjabber and physclist by Al, on Flickr

Techno on Blakey:
Blakey Ridge by Al, on Flickr

Out of Fryup:
Out of Fryup by Al, on Flickr

White Cross?:
White cross - maybe by Al, on Flickr

I can see the pub from here:
Above Fryup by Al, on Flickr

Monket, Monket, Monket, it goes on forever:
Monket Bank by Al, on Flickr

Superstars:
Superstars by Al, on Flickr

View from the Coach Road:
Coach road by Al, on Flickr

More Gravel Forever!
More Gravel Forever! by Al, on Flickr

There's a few more in here and I'll add to them over the weekend:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/highy/albums/72157693236812892

What a day out!

« Reply #168 on: 02 May, 2018, 08:56:55 pm »
White Cross is also known as Fat Betty (bam a lam)!

« Reply #169 on: 02 May, 2018, 09:12:15 pm »

Sorry I missed it this year - had to attend a training session instead, I'm volunteering to help with Tall Ships Sunderland in July.  Maybe next year I can have another go at the inappropriate bike on my Moulton TSR.

Fetch the bent!

« Reply #170 on: 02 May, 2018, 09:15:59 pm »
White Cross is also known as Fat Betty (bam a lam)!

Thanks, Pete, I thought I recognised it.

Cracking photos, Al.

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #171 on: 02 May, 2018, 09:18:35 pm »
I had a great time on the 100 mile route. My rear mudguard snapped in two just before Lealholm, a drill borrowed from the cafe and some cable ties got me going again. Wiggle has just refunded me under warranty as they where less than a year old.

« Reply #172 on: 10 November, 2018, 09:07:02 am »
So, have I missed the 2019 announcement?

I missed last year and really want to ride one of these in 2019!?

Come on Deano...

« Reply #173 on: 10 November, 2018, 09:17:35 am »

Come on Deano...

They're all in the calendar. 27th of April.

« Reply #174 on: 10 November, 2018, 12:34:41 pm »

Come on Deano...

They're all in the calendar. 27th of April.

Thanks, that’s great!