Author Topic: Old Roads & Drove Roads 200, NOW 18/08/18  (Read 7386 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Old Roads & Drove Roads 200, NOW 18/08/18
« Reply #25 on: 10 August, 2018, 08:16:41 pm »
Gears! This be singlespeed country ;). Rarely a quagmire on the Ridgeway itself, if it is you’ll probably have bigger problems on your journey!

Tempting though it is going on fixed, I want to get out and about once in Dorset, so might need to winch myself up onto Dartmoor at some point :D
Regards,

Joergen

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: 12 August, 2018, 07:12:30 pm »
@graveltyre_experts

This ride is a good excuse for me to splash out on some decent tyres:

What would veterans of previous years recommend on 700c? (I think I'm limited to around 37mm width. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #27 on: 13 August, 2018, 01:58:08 pm »

After that it’s pretty good as far as Wayland’s Smithy but I can’t help beyond there as I rarely go that far West.

Only caveat is that I ride up there on a mountain bike, but should be fine with narrower tyres. Let me know if I can help more

From Waylands Smithy to Chiseldon (and beyond to Barbury) are well graded. A mix of loose gravel and hardpacked chalk. East of Waylands/White horse is grassy chalk ruts bar a few short sections of farm access tracks. Not too fun (but doable) on skinny wheels.

« Reply #28 on: 13 August, 2018, 05:44:10 pm »
@graveltyre_experts

This ride is a good excuse for me to splash out on some decent tyres:

What would veterans of previous years recommend on 700c? (I think I'm limited to around 37mm width. )
I rode on 35's last year without issue
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #29 on: 13 August, 2018, 08:42:27 pm »
I've been riding the Ridgeway between Uffington and Barbury very happily on G-One Speed 40c tyres, I've ridden it on 32mm touring tyres too but the bigger the better, felt the bumps way more and was slower on 32s

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #30 on: 18 August, 2018, 09:36:04 am »
Looked like a good turnout. I was coming out of Lambourn as the group came down from Sparsholt Firs. Was exhausting just saying good morning to everyone!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #31 on: 18 August, 2018, 03:33:02 pm »
[farceache] Good job I’m not easily offended ::-)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #32 on: 18 August, 2018, 06:05:18 pm »

Oops did I ignore you?

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #33 on: 18 August, 2018, 08:39:36 pm »
No, just other rubberneckers that need to wind their neck in...

« Reply #34 on: 18 August, 2018, 09:10:38 pm »
That might have been my fault, sorry  :-[
Eddington Number 75

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #35 on: 18 August, 2018, 11:22:27 pm »
A goodly day, enjoyed by most, despite the 'improvements' to the turnpike.

Y'all gotta work at it to build up an appetite tho' - can't believe most passed up second offers of CAIK.

Mmmm - 3 AWOL's.  Perhaps I should call now to check they're OK. :demon:

Back again next year, subject to the boys with the toys...

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #36 on: 19 August, 2018, 09:26:19 am »
A goodly day, enjoyed by most, despite the 'improvements' to the turnpike
Thanks Pat and Sue for a great day. Really enjoyed it again.

I should have DNSd due to a very messy stomach bug last weekend resulting in significant weight loss. But I didn't want to do that, the route is too much fun. I should have turned North at Woodborough as I'd planned to make a sensible 100 via Hackpen but I was enjoying the route too much.
It turned to fun type 2 after Melksham where I could barely walk due to cramp but that's character building. I shall wear my 6 minute oot with pride ;D That's a damn site closer than expected.

As to the turnpike, the mind boggles as to what it was like before they did that 'improvement'.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #37 on: 19 August, 2018, 03:53:28 pm »
Mmmm - 3 AWOL's.  Perhaps I should call now to check they're OK. :demon:

I didn’t realise there were 3 of us; assumed I was the only one.  So I’m not guaranteed the Laterne Rouge then, the competition is still on?  Despite being out of time from control 1 onwards I finished at about 23:15 with an overall average speed of 14.1kph and visited all the controls. ‘Out of time at control 1’? – well besides the lanterne rouge, Pat has promised to get me a tee-shirt bearing the legend, ‘please point at me and laugh!’ (not really); on the morning I arrived at Sparsholt at 7am but was bemused to find no sign of bicycles or auks and although I was at the church with a spire and village hall opposite the lie of the land didn’t really match the map Pat had emailed us.  So, yes, I was at the wrong Sparsholt (careless use of Tomtom) and hence I didn’t get to the right Sparsholt until about 08:15 and started an hour after the field. 

It was a solitary ride, I only saw the peloton going the opposite direction; once in Lambourn from my car and again between Imber and Gore Cross (yes it was me in the red and white AUK England top).

My overall speed really suffered from the gravel roads, especially Salisbury Plain (I was going to do the alternate but was conned by the very ridable first several hundred metres) where I had to walk the worst bits and the Ridgeway in the dark (very slooow), I kept upright but very bumpy and I don’t like braking on lots of loose gravel (fortunately, besides my normal son hub with a supernova front light I had brought my commuting spare – a thing designed for off road mountain biking; think WWII anti-aircraft search light).  I have never ridden gravel before and the day was a real education on Conti GP 4 season 28mm tyres, never fell off so I was impressed with my balancing, and I applied what I heard in a mountain biking youtube – do not focus on the obstacle inches from your front wheel, just concentrate on where you want to go to and trust your bike, and DO NOT USE YOUR FRONT BRAKE ON LOOSE GRAVEL. 

Other reasons for overall slowness – totally untrained for all the verticality (but only had to walk up the steepest bit of the climb from Clyffe Pypard), spent a lot of time on the granny ring of my Hewitt Cheviot SE which is fitted with a mountain bike chain set, AND overprepared for all eventualities – I had enough food to feed everyone as if we were already in the post-hard-brexit times of no-food-on-the-shelves, mechanicals etc, so my rack-pack was the weight of a small child.  Oh, and my only puncture was just 1km from the end of the Ridgeway gravel, could have cried, putting Stan’s sealant in my tubes hadn’t worked – I did check for flints in the tyre re-inflate the tyre once and thought it was fixed, but it went flat again.  Will discuss on facebook audax tech stuff.  I replaced the tube on the first tarmac road I got to; heartening that the only car to drive past stopped, reversed and asked if all was ok.  Was not OTOH impressed by the dick who close-passed me at about 60mph as I grovelled up the A3102 out of Melksham, but that was a single incident.

All in all I really enjoyed what was a proper day out, thanks Pat, sad I missed the cake.  Great views, great route, history and a new experience on gravel roads.  A real challenge (for me anyway) and sense of achievement to finish – as the anciens I met in the Wetherspoons control said, go at your own pace and enjoy it.  I think everyone should do this ride at least once.

PS my wife thinks my over-preparedness and taking too much is some sort of medical condition that I suffer from.  Definitely not compatible with AUK success.

« Reply #38 on: 19 August, 2018, 07:57:26 pm »
I also had a fantastic day out cycling.  Many thanks to Pat and Sue.  The cup of coffee at the Arrivee tasted fantastic!
I was a DNF, abandoning on the outskirts of Imber, and finding my way back via the perimeter road, and NCN45 to Broad Hinton where I had a cup of tea and a chat with an old friend before rejoining the route and warming up my legs again with Hackpen Hill. As a result, I am in the unique position of having ridden both the original route over the firing range, and a portion of the alternative route.  Having just worked the numbers, I was surprised to find:

Original route: Measuring over the 6.9 km that was bypassed by the alternative route, Moving Average 13.2 km/h

Perimeter road: Measuring over 4.6 km leading to 'Redhorn Vedette' from the West, Moving Average 12.6 km/h

So my conclusion is that the original route, even though it contained some really attrocious sections, actually worked out faster on average.  The Alternative route (well at least the peripheral road part) was never actually attrocious, but was never actually good, and as a consequence my average speed on that section was lower.
In fairness, I should perhaps add that on the way back I was in tourist mode, and not overly fussed about keeping the speed up, but even so, I found the results surprising.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #39 on: 19 August, 2018, 08:51:28 pm »
Good efforts - wear your DNF’s with pride, it’s not meant to be a walk ride in the park ;)

« Reply #40 on: 20 August, 2018, 09:09:21 am »
on the morning I arrived at Sparsholt at 7am but was bemused to find no sign of bicycles or auks and although I was at the church with a spire and village hall opposite the lie of the land didn’t really match the map Pat had emailed us.  So, yes, I was at the wrong Sparsholt (careless use of Tomtom) and hence I didn’t get to the right Sparsholt until about 08:15 and started an hour after the field. 

I think someone else made the same mistake a couple of years ago :thumbsup: Did you end up near Winchester?

« Reply #41 on: 20 August, 2018, 10:28:55 am »
Which is the section with the newly laid chunky aggregate?  I saw a pic on Audax f*cebook and it didn't look the best, though with a bit of a 'do-able line' through it...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #42 on: 20 August, 2018, 11:19:16 am »
I think someone else made the same mistake a couple of years ago :thumbsup: Did you end up near Winchester?
Yep, that's the one.

« Reply #43 on: 20 August, 2018, 11:19:44 am »
Thanks Pat, Sue and Liam for a memorable day out.

I made a stupid navigational error in Great Bedwyn and had to retrace about 4km to the control, waving at plenty of other riders in the process. That, and the slow going on many sections, left me right on the time limits until Melksham. The wind which had rarely been helpful all day finally seemed to help and I got back with time to spare.

The views up on the plain are amazing and the changeable weather made them all the more dramatic.

Which is the section with the newly laid chunky aggregate?  I saw a pic on Audax f*cebook and it didn't look the best, though with a bit of a 'do-able line' through it...

That is the section of old turnpike south from Redhorn Hill. Grid Reference 060554. The first section draws you in and then it gets worse! The 'do-able line' is an illusion, just like the end of the rainbow - if you move to it it will just move away again.

I'll be back next year for more.

« Reply #44 on: 20 August, 2018, 03:28:14 pm »
The resurfaced military road was certainly more ''audacious" than previous years!!

The descent of Coulston Hollow was a delight this year, it having been resurfaced with nice smooth tarmac.

I was somewhat surprised to be told I was in the top half of the field at Warminster so was quite pleased at the impact of my new energy drink.

I made it as far as Compton Basset before having to abandon due to unpleasantness caused by my new energy drink.

Looking forward to next year already.

Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #45 on: 22 August, 2018, 09:48:27 pm »

I was somewhat surprised to be told I was in the top half of the field at Warminster
Looking forward to next year already.

I was just being encouraging...

But then, as I drove out of town an hour after the control shut I nearly wiped out a bloke in a red and white Audax England shirt at the wrong of town and didn't feel quite as dishonest...

« Reply #46 on: 23 August, 2018, 11:53:43 pm »
https://youtu.be/g7iMCM40jE4  8)

Once again thanks Pat, it was flippin awesome.
Eddington Number 75

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #47 on: 24 August, 2018, 07:33:50 pm »
Fans/victims/survivors of this event may like to know about one of its bigger cousins, the TNR:

https://torino-nice.weebly.com/the-basics.html

I had to laugh at today's Faceache post:

Trivia time. Bikes of the 3rd TNR, part 3 - stats via the form filled out by those coming to the dinner in Turin.

MTB, 22%

Gravel bike, 61%

A proper touring bike, 3% (respect to this 3%)

Road bike, 3% (pray for this 3%)

"I'm not sure what sort of bike it is but it works", 12%

[Anyone wanting to know about descending the Col de Tende on 25mm tyres should make sure I have a stiff drink to hand before asking me ... ]

And of course it looks like the brilliant www.tinat.cymru is happening again in 2019  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles