Author Topic: Manningtree 300 - 00:01h Sat 5th May "Green & Yellow Fields"  (Read 5573 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Manningtree 300 - 00:01h Sat 5th May "Green & Yellow Fields"
« Reply #25 on: 05 May, 2018, 10:11:17 am »
This ride continues to attract great numbers  :thumbsup:

Wish I could be making it 84 but I need to be elsewhere on Saturday morning.  :(

Maybe next year...

And 85, from me.  I had looked at this but my wife was due to be away this weekend.... but now isn't  ::-)

I suppose I should be happy to be enjoying her company when I had expected to be alone with the monkey....  :-\
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

rob

« Reply #26 on: 05 May, 2018, 08:15:45 pm »
Not ridden this for a few years so nice to be back on the late night train to Manningtree.

In and out of various groups overnight to the turn and then mostly on my own for the rest.  Very welcome new control staffed by Huggy Junior in Needham Market, right at the point where I was flagging.   Got round a little quicker than planned so home early.   Plenty of green and yellow fields seen this year along with dear, 2 barn owls and a buzzard.

« Reply #27 on: 06 May, 2018, 12:02:51 pm »
My second time riding G&Y, so I knew what to expect. The pre-start curry was enjoyed, with en eye to fuelling up for the upcoming night sections.

Last year the ACME peloton was a little too fast for me, and I only rejoined at Barton Mills. This year the pace was more comfortable, so there was more conversation going on, and a chance to savour nighttime Suffolk.

A group of four left Barton Mills into the cold, which turned out to be not too cold, albeit about 5 degrees less than forecast. So layers were gradually shed as the light appeared, and we enjoyed a quick feed stop courtesy of the shop in Burnham Deepdale. Then onto Yaxby for a superb breakfast at the water park.

Only 100km from there, so a quick stop at the next control, and a delightful ice cream and then coffee at the final control before heading back to Manningtree.

It was a great way to spend time audaxing, accompanied by alotronic, bernster and one from hertfordshire whose yacf name is unknown to me. Thanks to huggy and his delightful band of helpers in Needham Market.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #28 on: 06 May, 2018, 12:40:24 pm »
Another stunning day out, I have two rides this year (!) and they have both been fantastic.

Being polite with the ACME hosts I went out with the last group and settled in to the always-perfect pace of Tomsk. A brace of fixies in the mix so no silly pacing  up and downs in tempo #thankgodsomeoneelseisridingfixednotme

Was it just me or was the McD's empty of the usual drunks? We seemed to have the run of the place. At 't Mill the ACME group split into those wanting breakfast at Burham Deepdale and those pushing on to Yaxham with myself, Bernster, Psychlist and Elliot making a solid four that lasted the whole way round.

Solid pace meant lots of looking around and enjoying the scenery. As always the bit to the coast was fantastic.

From there steady progress doing the usual Audax things. Less cars than last time which was nice. And the 'Son of Huggy' control was a real treat. Nice to be corralled away from the real world and in a place where the application of creams to body parts unnameble is, if not encouraged, then at least tolerated.

I had a week entirely off the bike and was well rested so had a fun-run 'attack' at the last rollers on the old A12 just for show before easing into Manningtree about 4 for cold cider. Strava will no doubt reveal quite how pathetic that effort was.

Started to drive back, realised I needed a nap (no kidding) and had an hour beside the A12, then on home for 7.

A lovely day out with good company on a stunning day, Audax at it's best.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: 06 May, 2018, 09:01:57 pm »
ACME Peloton 'B' took the gentlemanly pace option, on the pretext of looking after JEM, still recovering from illness. Actually our pace only fell by about 1kph overall, compared to the first leg, but we did go for full value stops, including a picnic outside Wymondham Waitrose and ice creams in Needham Market, followed by coffee at the excellent Mini-Huggy al-fresco control! We did keep passing some of the 'Professional Full-Value Riders' including ACME's 'Lanterne Rouge' trophy holder Calvin. He might justifiably have found this a little annoying, but dealt with it in his usual good humoured way.

We finished about 2 hours down on the 'A' Peloton, enjoyed beers and salty snacks at the Station Buffet, got cold all of a sudden and headed for trains/cars home.

Sorry to hear about the 'off' a rider had on the Creeting road - we saw the air ambulance fly over. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to him.

The Bentley bluebell woods were on top form, as were the yellow fields. Great day out, fantastic weather and good company, only marred by news of the unfortunate accident and a few ignorant motorists, mainly on the road to Dereham.

« Reply #30 on: 07 May, 2018, 10:20:38 am »
Thanks Tom,

I did warn the MHP group that it would be much colder than forecast on the road to Burnham, fortunately the warning was heeded and everyone dressed accordingly.....but my, didn't it warm up quickly?. My garmin registered a parky 2 degrees at one point.

This was the first audax for four members of the group, including Gavin who fell at slow speed after just missing the right turn near Creeting St. Mary with 30 kms to go. As he lay on hot tarmac under the scorching afternoon sun, we were originally informed that it would take 3 hours for an ambulance to arrive, but after a persuasive request from Ben, this time was reduced to 30 minutes. The ambulance medics did a great job, (the helicopter team only administered strong painkillers), and Gavin was transported to Ipswich hospital with a broken hip.

Alas, a wonderful day blighted by what seemed such an innocuous accident.

Many thanks to Pauline Huggins and her colleague who came out from Needham in the van to collect Gavin's bike and to the gentleman and his wife who live in the corner house for providing shade via a large parasol. Also to Grant's son in the excellent Needham control who lifted our flagging spirits.
#makewattsnotwar

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #31 on: 07 May, 2018, 10:52:36 pm »
ACME Peloton 'B' took the gentlemanly pace option, on the pretext of looking after JEM, still recovering from illness. Actually our pace only fell by about 1kph overall, compared to the first leg, but we did go for full value stops, including a picnic outside Wymondham Waitrose and ice creams in Needham Market, followed by coffee at the excellent Mini-Huggy al-fresco control!
We joined the B peloton at Barton Mills having ridden the first leg with a faster group, but decided to go for the breakfast at Burnham Deepdale option and pace. A great sociable ride, relaxed stops and plenty of chatting along the way.

The night was indeed colder than forecast - interesting to see on Sunday that the Met Office had a small village near Brandon (Santon Downham) recorded as the coldest temperature in the UK for Saturday at 2 degrees - brrrrr... Whilst lounging around at McD's I put some small drybags over my socks and inside my sandals in an attempt to reduce cold feet on the next section - they may have looked a bit strange but they did work.

Best wishes to Gavin - hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

« Reply #32 on: 07 May, 2018, 11:24:07 pm »
ACME Peloton 'B' took the gentlemanly pace option, on the pretext of looking after JEM, still recovering from illness. Actually our pace only fell by about 1kph overall, compared to the first leg, but we did go for full value stops, including a picnic outside Wymondham Waitrose and ice creams in Needham Market, followed by coffee at the excellent Mini-Huggy al-fresco control!
Whilst lounging around at McD's I put some small drybags over my socks and inside my sandals in an attempt to reduce cold feet on the next section - they may have looked a bit strange but they did work.

1/ They didn't look any stranger than sandals
2/ If they were the same colour no one would have been any wiser
3/ I wanted them... may have to update kit so two small drybags can be had when needed...

A

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #33 on: 08 May, 2018, 08:41:43 am »
We joined the B peloton at Barton Mills having ridden the first leg with a faster group, but decided to go for the breakfast at Burnham Deepdale option and pace. A great sociable ride, relaxed stops and plenty of chatting along the way.

The night was indeed colder than forecast - interesting to see on Sunday that the Met Office had a small village near Brandon (Santon Downham) recorded as the coldest temperature in the UK for Saturday at 2 degrees - brrrrr...

The cold - which, based on previous experience of this ride wasn't unexpected despite the forecast but was nevertheless worse than I'd hoped for - was a bit more than recovering lungs could cope with. I am extremely grateful to the ACME B and That Orange Tandem for knocking it back enough for me to to stay in the group. What a difference that made. it turned what could have been a stressful ride into a wonderful night and day of being out on the bike with the best company you could hope for. Once it warmed up, things were a lot better until we hit Copdock and the combination of long hill, cars and dust again took it's toll and I was dangling off the back only to get to the top and there was the whole group waiting. That really raised my spirits. It was lovely to all stay together to the finish having ridden virtually the whole way as a group.

The full value stops gave plenty of opportunity for chatting, catching up with old friends and getting to know new ones better. Sitting at the bus shelter in Needham Market with ice creams was a moment I'll remember, sadly punctuated by the sound of the air ambulance and knowing it was heading for "one of ours".

Son of Huggy's excellent "cafe" just around the corner, provided more than welcome refreshment, but under the circumstances I think, also some comfort and a chance to regroup especially for Pip's group as people sat around in garden chairs and took some time to chat rather than rush off.

It was great to see Pip again (just sorry under such circumstances) and to relive that Beast ride - stuff of legends.

I hope Gavin recovers quickly and wish him all the best.

The finish at Manningtree is always nice. Beer, crisps and chat and then train home and still having an evening.