Author Topic: Wander Wye  (Read 12760 times)

Wander Wye
« on: 24 April, 2018, 06:28:29 pm »
Our ride is full, because of the limited space at our overnight control.

AUK members who don't intend to use our hall (either arrange their own overnight accommodation or plan to ride through the night) can still enter the ride: simply pay £19 by PayPal to me at laidbackaroundtheworld@gmail.com and tell me your AUK membership number in the PayPal notes to seller, and I will add you to the start list.

This could be a useful forum to hook up with others for room sharing, e.g. at the Severn View Travelodge.

Re: Wander Wye
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2018, 05:04:31 pm »
Thanks, Rich.
Another option is to stop short (of Chepstow) so arriving at a 'reasonable' time - the Star Bunkhouse at Bwlch (an info control at 310km) has space that evening, at present. http://www.starbunkhouse.com/
But will one be 'tired enough'?
Oh, and there's a Fish and Chip shop in Talgarth (circa 300km), attached to the Castle Hotel, directly opposite the "297.0 L@T $ Llangorse" (open 5-9pm)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2018, 05:20:34 pm »
Thanks, Rich.
Another option is to stop short (of Chepstow) so arriving at a 'reasonable' time - the Star Bunkhouse at Bwlch (an info control at 310km) has space that evening, at present. http://www.starbunkhouse.com/
But will one be 'tired enough'? The pub next door does meals.
Oh and there's a Fish and Chip shop in Talgarth (circa 300km), attache to the Castle Hotel, directly opposite the "L at T" (open 5-9pm)

I think 310km is too early to stop, you'll be out of time at any control before 450km unless you set off way before dawn.

I think the ideal distance is about 360km makes day 2 easier and gives reasonable amount of time to make subsequent controls.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2018, 06:31:48 pm »
There are early birds and night owls. Riding long into the night with a post-dawn re-start suits some. Getting your head down at 11pm and restarting at 4am suits others. YMMV.
Eddington Number = 132

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2018, 06:55:41 pm »
I don't see any problem with a pre-dawn start. (Sunrise can be one of the Great Natural Wonders of Audax :) )

But I'd always want to "kick a bigger hole" in the 600km than 310 before kipping, if possible. Still, better than no bed at all!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2018, 07:04:53 pm »
I don't see any problem with a pre-dawn start. (Sunrise can be one of the Great Natural Wonders of Audax :) )

But I'd always want to "kick a bigger hole" in the 600km than 310 before kipping, if possible. Still, better than no bed at all!

No greater (cycling) pleasure than riding eastwards as the sun rises into a clear sky
Eddington Number = 132

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #6 on: 20 May, 2018, 07:43:26 pm »
Following this with interest. I'm planning to attempt my first 600 (The Buzzard) this summer and was wondering about sleep strategies. All received Wisdom I've had so far counsels aiming to get 350+ km in the bag before stopping for a sleep, but on my first 400 (LWL earlier this month) I noticed massive diminishing returns from about 320km to the end. So toying with idea of a 3-4 hr sleep stop at Exeter (half way) in hope that id recover enough to keep up similar pace on day 2. Bad idea?

« Reply #7 on: 20 May, 2018, 08:25:59 pm »
I’ve ridden The Buzzard twice, both times sleeping at the Travelodge at Exeter services and breakfasting at the service station before re-starting. It definitely worked for me, but YMMV.
Eddington Number = 132

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2018, 09:45:54 pm »

No greater (cycling) pleasure than riding eastwards as the sun rises into a clear sky

Maybe, I'd certainly rather start at 4 than carry on past midnight. But I'd still prefer to ride all in daylight if possible.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #9 on: 21 May, 2018, 12:21:05 am »
Thanks, Rich.
Another option is to stop short (of Chepstow) so arriving at a 'reasonable' time [eg] Bwlch (an info control at 310km)
I think 310km is too early to stop, you'll be out of time at any control before 450km unless you set off way before dawn.
I think the ideal distance is about 360km makes day 2 easier and gives reasonable amount of time to make subsequent controls.
I agree it'd be good to crack on to Chepstow (and Rich has designed it so that the main entry can sleep at Bulwark). But for those 'johnny come latelies' without that sleep stop option, Aust is that bit further and would probably be after midnight depending on how things go. I guess the backpackers hostel in Chepstow is an option but not sure how they are with a midnight arrival.
Sunrise is at 04:31 and first light will be an hour earlier than that, in benign weather. Chepstow at 368km at 15kph has an 'out of time' time of about 06:30. I'd plan to get 5 hours + sleep, be away by first light from Bwlch and have breakfast in Chepstow.
On the BCM last year I stopped short (at 340k at 10pm) slept and was on the road by 5 (sunrise) and at King's (374km) by 6:20. Worked for me.
With regard to 'Great Natural Wonders of Audax' I will treasure last year's experience of leaving the YH/optional control in Alston (after a great night's sleep) and hitting the top of Yad Moss dead on sunrise.

« Reply #10 on: 21 May, 2018, 08:39:17 am »
For what it's worth, on both my 2 600s I've started at 6/7am, ridden till around 2- 3am (which means 375-400km ish) and been back on the road for 7/8am. Both seemed to work well in terms of getting enough recovery for the physical efforts needed on day 2.
Of course, the quality of sleep matters enormously. On my second 600 I slept in a proper bed, was able to have a soak in a hot bath and had all the food I wanted all laid out, as well as fresh kit and decent coffee.

« Reply #11 on: 04 June, 2018, 09:36:09 pm »
Hi,

Just familiarising myself with the distance to Chepstow for my sleeping bag and mat sleep. I was wondering with the minimum faffage of an hour for lunch - full english etc - and pee/number 2 stops totaling no more than 30 mins of faffing with that hopefully, what time i should arrive assuming i am doing 14mph average. 17 hours put me conservatively around 1am ?

If so, I would need to leave 6am to make it back in time ?

« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2018, 12:24:12 pm »
Just familiarising myself with the distance to Chepstow for my sleeping bag and mat sleep. I was wondering with the minimum faffage of an hour for lunch - full english etc - and pee/number 2 stops totaling no more than 30 mins of faffing with that hopefully, what time i should arrive assuming i am doing 14mph average. 17 hours put me conservatively around 1am ?

Chepstow is 368k. 90 minutes of stops in total is, I suspect, in the first decile of the stopping spectrum. Are you asking someone to do your math for you? 14mph is 22.5kph. HTH

« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2018, 01:18:41 pm »

Chepstow is 368k. 90 minutes of stops in total is, I suspect, in the first decile of the stopping spectrum. Are you asking someone to do your math for you? 14mph is 22.5kph. HTH

looks like I am bang on :)

« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2018, 12:46:30 pm »
"Chepstow – the overnight stop is in a community hall . . . We’ll have dinner and/or breakfast ready for you here."
Having read the rider notes (extract above) please can Rich share  roughly what sort of time will the community centre close and bags needed to be handed back in (for those who've used the bag drop)? At 367k, the control in theory 'closes' at 0628 on my reckoning (@15kph) but maybe it's 24 minutes earlier (given the distance is 610k and the required speed is therefore 15.25kph).

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #15 on: 07 June, 2018, 03:56:30 pm »
Thanks, Rich.
But will one be 'tired enough'? The pub next door does meals.
Oh and there's a Fish and Chip shop in Talgarth (circa 300km), attache to the Castle Hotel, directly opposite the "L at T" (open 5-9pm)

Assuming the route still goes via Abergaveny there's "Black Sheep Backpackers", https://www.greatwesternabergavenny.com/, at about 330Km in...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #16 on: 07 June, 2018, 07:08:45 pm »
Using the control times calculator on aukweb, the control opening/closing times are:

Control 1 Watlington   73km    08:26  10:52       
Control 2 Stow            142km    10:44   15:28       
Control 3  Worcester  197km    12:34     19:08       
Control 4 Hay              284km    15:28     00:56
Control 5 Chepstow   367km    18:14     06:28
Control 6 Pewsey      455km    21:10      12:20       
Control 7 Hindhead  549km    00:18  18:36       
Control 8 Raynes Park 610km    02:20  22:00   

You can arrive at Chepstow before 0628 (leave whenever you want) but you gotta get to Pewsey by 1220. 6 hours to do 89km...

Hope this helps.

« Reply #17 on: 07 June, 2018, 09:00:28 pm »
Thanks for the times!

« Reply #18 on: 07 June, 2018, 10:42:18 pm »
Using the control times calculator on aukweb, the control opening/closing times are:
. . .
You can arrive at Chepstow before 0628 (leave whenever you want) but you gotta get to Pewsey by 1220. 6 hours to do 89km...
Hope this helps.
"Leave whenever you want" (from Chepstow)
Well not quite: the organisers will be keen to close up the community centre. That's why I'm asking the question (as I am a 'late entry' and shall not be sleeping there).
I also note that those times imply a 18kph minimum speed for the last leg back to Raynes Park (because this is a BRM and the maximum time allowed is 600/15 hours).

« Reply #19 on: 08 June, 2018, 07:20:45 am »
If you're not sleeping at Chepstow, then as long as you control there by 6.28 and make the next control before 12.20, you'll be fine.

Sure, the controllers at Chepstow will want to clear up and head back to London but I would think they won't eject you at 6.28, you'd have a bit of time to gather yourself beforehand.

The minimum speed for the whole ride is 15kph so you get 40 hours to ride the distance including the "extra" 10km.

« Reply #20 on: 11 June, 2018, 09:37:13 am »
Sorry I have not been keeping up with this thread. I did not get the email telling me that there were new messages.
Three of us did the helpers ride this w/e, this is how it went for me:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1631264306

I will update the route sheet and rider notes and hopefully email them out later today to all riders.
As for the Chepstow control, we'll be there clearing up for at least an hour after the control officially closes at 06:28.

Suggest that riders wait for the email update then if there are remaining questions either post them here or email me direct, OK?

« Reply #21 on: 11 June, 2018, 01:06:49 pm »
I'm arriving at London Waterloo at 7.30pm on Friday
How easy/sensible is it to cycle the 17Km to Raynes Park?
Or would I be more sensible splashing out £5.40 and taking a 20 minute train ride?

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #22 on: 11 June, 2018, 01:59:54 pm »
Or would I be more sensible splashing out £5.40 and taking a 20 minute train ride?

No problem to cycle if you wish. Fridays are generally quieter on the roads and Cycle Superhighway 8 goes under Waterloo Bridge. Check out the route onwards via Lots Road, Chelsea Harbour, Putney riverside, Richmond Park (Roehampton Gate to Ladderstile Gate, and onwards to Raynes Park) (nice to stretch the legs with a complete circuit of the park if evening weather ok).
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #23 on: 12 June, 2018, 01:51:17 am »

No problem to cycle if you wish. Fridays are generally quieter on the roads and Cycle Superhighway 8 goes under Waterloo Bridge. Check out the route onwards via Lots Road, Chelsea Harbour, Putney riverside, Richmond Park (Roehampton Gate to Ladderstile Gate, and onwards to Raynes Park) (nice to stretch the legs with a complete circuit of the park if evening weather ok).

Thanks, that's really helpful

« Reply #24 on: 16 June, 2018, 05:15:47 pm »
A cracked frame in Pershore ended my interest in this rather good ride! I am more annoyed that I’ve only done 114 miles than the full distance. Will hopefully be back next year!