Author Topic: Why Audaxing is like Tinder without sex....  (Read 2212 times)

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
Why Audaxing is like Tinder without sex....
« on: 25 May, 2018, 06:08:03 pm »
... and nine other lessons I learned in 55 long-distance rides since 2014.

Due to a mishap on the Brompton the other week, I currently have more time on my hand than I had wished for, and used it to pen down a few reflections on the magic thing that long-distance cycling is:

https://cycling-intelligence.com/2018/05/25/ten-things-ive-learned-in-55-audaxes-and-16785-long-distance-km-since-2014/

Looking forward to your feedback
Cheers
Olaf
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Why Audaxing is like Tinder without sex....
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2018, 06:57:17 pm »
Excellent blog!

« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2018, 08:16:11 pm »
Really good item. One small suggestion - you might want to explain what an "SR", which you mention near the end, is.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2018, 08:40:11 pm »
Fair point, done! Thanks
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2018, 08:48:16 pm »
On the BCM it struck me that Audax was a form of self-harm... have to keep doing these rides just to check we're still alive and can still do it. Unfortunately this time round, i found I couldn't...

At this point the sensible thing to do would be to stop but I fear that I'm doomed to try again, and again, and again...

« Reply #5 on: 25 May, 2018, 09:58:30 pm »
More like Grindr, I'd say.

« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2018, 10:38:45 pm »
Good point about stops becoming longer the further you progress in a ride.  Must build that into my spreadsheet !  :facepalm:

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #7 on: 25 May, 2018, 11:09:39 pm »
Excellent blog, thank you! As a newbie (and PBP wanna-be) this is pure gold  :thumbsup:
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

whosatthewheel

« Reply #8 on: 26 May, 2018, 08:23:36 am »
Good point about stops becoming longer the further you progress in a ride.  Must build that into my spreadsheet !  :facepalm:

But isn't that because for some bizarre reason controls get further apart towards the end? For instance, I really don't need a control after 50-60 km, but I might need it after 300. BCM is a good example, where the last control is 105 km to the finish.
Same at LWL, after Chepstow there are 190 km and only one control.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:02:49 am »

But isn't that because for some bizarre reason controls get further apart towards the end? For instance, I really don't need a control after 50-60 km, but I might need it after 300. BCM is a good example, where the last control is 105 km to the finish.
I suppose that based on your sample of 2 events, that is indeed true. Good analysis  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 26 May, 2018, 08:26:35 pm »

Not really as you can stop at places other than controls for your food / drink needs. On LWL there are more than enough intermediate places after Chepstow to quickly  grab food and drink including hot options. Not so much once you leave the control and stick to Chilterns route. But that is / was a relatively short leg if the new control is still near Membury.

« Reply #11 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:08:37 pm »
No sex? You're not doing them right.

« Reply #12 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:31:18 pm »
Had me nodding a lot, nice write up, one to read before a major ride!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 26 May, 2018, 11:03:58 pm »

Small towels and tubs of petroleum jelly, perchance?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #14 on: 26 May, 2018, 11:20:46 pm »

Small towels and tubs of petroleum jelly, perchance?

I was thinking more of the spending time in the middle of the night with men who's names you never know, and going home all hot and sticky and a bit sore

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #15 on: 27 May, 2018, 12:36:02 am »
I honestly think we're overselling Audax here.

Audax is more like cycling a long way, until you would rather stop, but don't.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #16 on: 27 May, 2018, 08:43:46 am »
) the people you meet
just like real life some of the people you meet will be dicks.  Don't think that all the audax people are good people.  Some of them are fucktards.  I've never used Tinder but I would guess this is part of the metaphor that matches also

) "wasting time"
pacing.  If you really can't pace yourself then you don't need a power meter or HRM.  Just limit your efforts to breathing through the nose

) control discipline
I fully endorse all your comments.  I would add that we are riding for fun and so very occasionally having an unnecessary extra coffee is allowed  ;D

) don't think about the distance
I would take a further step in the "how far to the next control" mental approach.  More than "just keep riding" I prefer the "great!  Still another 259km of this fabulous event to enjoy" mindset

) on bad patches
you seem to link the bad patch to the idea of packing.  I never plan any packing.  I never see where the railway stations are.  I leave stuff at the Arrivee so I have to get back there etc etc.  One thing you don't mention is that on the long rides the bad patches can be longer.  But they will end.  Just keep moving.

) on being lost
Always have two navigation systems.  Used to be pages out of a road atlas + route sheet.  Now is GPS device + another GPS device + route sheet.

) bike fit
I've done a blog on DIY bike fitting  Some bike fit people in a shop use a chart and a jig and don't really understand.  If I could find someone that really understood long distance cycling bike fit then I would pay the money.  It could be a good investment.  But all the people I've heard of seem to require travelling to the other end of the country

) mechanics
Yes, I agree with your general point, don't have stuff you can't fix.  But you are using a GPS.  You can't fix that.  For many years I didn't get a GPS because I figured, it's one more thing to go wrong.  But it is very convenient, so I use it
Same goes for tubeless tyres and DI2.  If they are reliable enough, if you have topped up the sealant and a spare battery then the benefits of tubeless and DI2 are just like a GPS
One thing you didn't mention with the "parts" for long distance is that if you can identify stuff that lasts longer, get it.  Like Ultegra cassettes for example.  They cost more but they last longer

) PBP
Is great once you are riding.  But the qualifiers and the travel there and the time off and...