Author Topic: what's the current state of UK Audax ?  (Read 9144 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: what's the current state of UK Audax ?
« Reply #275 on: June 08, 2018, 03:51:52 pm »
...people have a little bit more money and the bus shelters have been rebranded as "Travelodges".

I recall the hard time I was given by some other riders the first time I used a Travelodge on an audax.

You're OK - just don't let Mrs B start following you around from one control to the next in a motorhome.
Between the Disney abattoir and the chemical refinery

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #276 on: June 08, 2018, 07:42:44 pm »
I would say this is a good thing... last thing you want is an audax being invaded by needy folks...that the vertical ascent did not match the one on Strava

A few years ago I had a previous high finisher in the National 24H complaining about exactly this on the Avalon Sunrise
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

« Reply #277 on: June 16, 2018, 08:02:12 am »
At some point we mentioned TLC, so this X rated event caught my eye in the results page. I can only guess the route should be superb, probably very demanding... certainly that day the weather was magnificent... maybe one could argue that the start is a bit remote for many... either way, it turns out there are 3 finishers. I bet if it was a full TLC national 300 route we would be looking at 150

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-341/

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #278 on: June 16, 2018, 04:13:44 pm »
bus shelters have been rebranded as "Travelodges".

With the difference that Travelodges are less welcoming.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #279 on: June 16, 2018, 08:16:36 pm »
A Sportive on the other hand (what does that word even mean? "Sport-like"?) is for me a kind of fake event, in which most riders are pretending to be racer-like and "pro". Even the send-off is kind of dishonest with the organizer saying "now this is not a race" while middle-aged men in team kit exchange knowing glances.
Not for everyone.  I ride the odd sportive.  I consider them as audaxes without the pressure of a time limit.