Author Topic: Brevet RTY 2500 anyone?  (Read 3918 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Brevet RTY 2500 anyone?
« Reply #25 on: 30 May, 2018, 09:12:15 am »
There is no answer to the question, what is long distance...

What we do have are standard event categories. Less than a 200km is a BP (which don't exist in ACP land) and 200km and over are BR.

ACP have declared Randonneur a title/reserved word.. personally, I wouldn't get hung up on that.

« Reply #26 on: 30 May, 2018, 09:17:11 am »
Suggestion: Start a thread on here. Call it “Audax-a-month club” or something. Everyone can choose their own format (within the 12 consecutive months framework). If it’s popular you can think about formalising an award in a year or two.

(I would be up for this)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #27 on: 30 May, 2018, 09:37:31 am »
Suggestion: Start a thread on here. Call it “Audax-a-month club” or something. Everyone can choose their own format (within the 12 consecutive months framework). If it’s popular you can think about formalising an award in a year or two.

(I would be up for this)

We should start in October all together to keep things simpler...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #28 on: 30 May, 2018, 10:10:24 am »
Though I wouldn't mandate it, it definitely makes sense to start a RRTY effort in the autumn if possible. That way if things go pear-shaped over winter you've too lost much.

( I'm another with two 11 month streaks ending in December! As much my fault as the weather, though)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 30 May, 2018, 11:06:23 am »
Though I wouldn't mandate it, it definitely makes sense to start a RRTY effort in the autumn if possible.

But we're not talking about RRTY ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #30 on: 30 May, 2018, 11:09:41 am »
Though I wouldn't mandate it, it definitely makes sense to start a RRTY effort in the autumn if possible.

But we're not talking about RRTY ...

Correct, it cannot begin with an R, it needs to be a BRTY or something more inspiring

« Reply #31 on: 01 June, 2018, 09:02:53 am »
I've done 90km on studded tyres... I wonder how masochistic it would be to try a 200 on them...

I've done a few 200s on studded tyres. It's good training!

On the one calendar ride where I rode on studs, and was the only rider to do so, I was glad of it. Most other riders fell off on some of the icy lanes and I could push on where they were taking it easy in an attempt to stay upright.

« Reply #32 on: 10 June, 2018, 12:34:19 pm »
Not really liking the original post. I am 8 months into my first RRTY attempt and I really had to make a big effort to get through Jan to March dealing with illness, weather, mechanicals etc.

Having an "equivalent" award which does not require winter riding seems a bit of a cop out.

I think consideration could be given to making the Brevet 2000 a season based award rather than all time. This would allow riders to do the bulk of their riding in the warmer months.

I would also support a RTY 12 x 100 award. Some posters have said that this would be difficult to administer but I would think that the bulk of this could be automated? Interested to understand more about the issues with admin relating to this.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #33 on: 10 June, 2018, 12:38:33 pm »

Having an "equivalent" award which does not require winter riding seems a bit of a cop out.

Who said it is equivalent? It cannot be equivalent if it not the same thing. AAASR and SR are almost equivalent, but they are different awards

whosatthewheel

« Reply #34 on: 14 June, 2018, 07:10:53 pm »
Maybe an AAA RTY?

Any brevet of any distance as long as it has AAA points x 12 consecutive months

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #35 on: 14 June, 2018, 11:04:30 pm »
Given the popularity of RRTY, I was thiking what could be an alternative, more flexible award, based on the round the year concept... so I came up with this

12 consecutive brevets in as many months, can be BP, BR or BRM (and of course all Perms and DIY count)... only one brevet per calendar month can be claimed and it is counted in integer points (100 km or more = 1 point, 200 km or more = 2 points and so on). The total for the year needs to be at least 25 points, to avoid any RRTY to be an automatic BRTY 2500 too. As a consequence, at least one ride needs to be a 300 or longer, but equally many can be BP 100.

Thoughts?

I wonder what the number of RRTY awardees that did not do a single 200km ride in the year is. I suspect it's a very small proportion, so I'd be quite surprised if there more than a handfull of riders who achieved rrty who wouldn't have got 25 points across 12 rides.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #36 on: 14 June, 2018, 11:15:33 pm »
Maybe an AAA RTY?

It already exists... See http://www.aukweb.net/results/aaa/aaawds/aaartyroll/

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #37 on: 14 June, 2018, 11:20:25 pm »
Given the popularity of RRTY, I was thiking what could be an alternative, more flexible award, based on the round the year concept... so I came up with this

12 consecutive brevets in as many months, can be BP, BR or BRM (and of course all Perms and DIY count)... only one brevet per calendar month can be claimed and it is counted in integer points (100 km or more = 1 point, 200 km or more = 2 points and so on). The total for the year needs to be at least 25 points, to avoid any RRTY to be an automatic BRTY 2500 too. As a consequence, at least one ride needs to be a 300 or longer, but equally many can be BP 100.

Thoughts?

I wonder what the number of RRTY awardees that did not do a single 200km ride in the year is. I suspect it's a very small proportion, so I'd be quite surprised if there more than a handfull of riders who achieved rrty who wouldn't have got 25 points across 12 rides.

If you check out the RRtY stats in Arrivee 139 then it has the number of claims which were people riding one ride per month and doing exclusively 200km rides.... I think quite a few members don't have time to complete many rides but do focus on RRtY.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #38 on: 15 June, 2018, 06:01:56 am »
Maybe an AAA RTY?

It already exists... See http://www.aukweb.net/results/aaa/aaawds/aaartyroll/

Ha... I didn't spot that... I am onto the case then...  ;D