Author Topic: Guardian cycling blog  (Read 2156 times)

Guardian cycling blog
« on: 31 May, 2018, 01:35:00 pm »

whosatthewheel

Re: Guardian cycling blog
« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2018, 02:36:42 pm »
already discussed in the LWL thread

« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2018, 02:50:26 pm »
And briefly in the "What's the current state of UK Audax" thread.

The problem is that the search doesn't find the link (or even part of the link) in either of those threads.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2018, 07:19:45 pm »

I've seen in a couple of Articles about Audax recently the no medals thing. Which confuses me. On the back of my Brevett cards is an option to request a medal. I have two medals from the 2 200km rides I've done. Is this just something the Dutch Audax organisers do? The Medals have ACP mentioned on them.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2018, 07:24:32 pm »
Yeah, there are medals.  But the collection of them tends to be a quiet, understated affair.  Usually performed in the privacy of your own home, rather than handed out routinely at the finish line.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2018, 07:28:20 pm »
Yeah, there are medals.  But the collection of them tends to be a quiet, understated affair.  Usually performed in the privacy of your own home, rather than handed out routinely at the finish line.

I got mine at the finish line. I handed my Brevett card to Frank or Jos, they turn it over, look at the tick mark, and then rummage around in a bag, pull out a medal, realise it's the wrong one, rummage again, pull the same medal out, put it back, rummage around, and then produce the right medal... Maybe this is just how the Dutch do it...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 31 May, 2018, 07:31:36 pm »

I got mine at the finish line. I handed my Brevett card to Frank or Jos, they turn it over, look at the tick mark, and then rummage around in a bag, pull out a medal, realise it's the wrong one, rummage again, pull the same medal out, put it back, rummage around, and then produce the right medal... Maybe this is just how the Dutch do it...

I recall Marmitegeoff doing just that.  IIRC the occasion was that a seasoned audaxer had ridden the 50 in order to complete the set, but I know plenty of people who've had medals to celebrate getting round their first 100.

« Reply #7 on: 31 May, 2018, 08:12:39 pm »
The organiser can order a stock of medals before the event, or, after the event, as many as have been requested by riders.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8 on: 31 May, 2018, 09:01:50 pm »
Some also do event specific medals. I have a few that megajoulesexpenditure has given me on her audaxes in the broders.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!