Author Topic: Thanet Platinum Audax, Saturday 1st September 2018  (Read 8727 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Thanet Platinum Audax, Saturday 1st September 2018
« on: 10 June, 2018, 01:10:52 pm »
The second edition of the Thanet Platinum rides take place on Saturday 1st September 2018, starting from Goody Ales brewery in Herne village (near Herne Bay).

200 - basically the same as last year, with a few minor route refinements. Starts 8am.
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-304/
This is last year's route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24947881

110 - revised route to cut out the excessive over-distance, with a halfway control at Woodchurch. Starts 9.30am.
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-305/
New route, pending checks: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27371286

Century - new for this year, a 160km/100 mile route. Uses the 200 route as far as Robertsbridge, cuts across to Rye, then uses the 200 route back to the finish.
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-335/
Likely route, pending checks: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25192489

Food included at the finish - the pork pies were incredibly popular last year so I'll make sure we get more of those in this year, so later finishers don't miss out.

And the bar will be open until 11pm, serving Goody's ales, local cider, wine and soft drinks.

For those who don't want to drive, the first train from London gets in to Herne Bay at 7.39am and it's just 4km to the start from there (happy for people to start late). Alternatively, you can camp in the field at the start the night before, or stay at the posh campsite 100m down the lane. It will also be possible to camp in the field on Saturday night after the event.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Re: Thanet Platinum Audax, Saturday 1st September 2018
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2018, 01:26:58 pm »
Right. Given the org and the route, I'm in. Unless I'm out of the country - as i might be in Norway. Current plan is to ECE the 100k. But the notion of camping nearby and the possibility that others might do the same and perhaps be in a nearby hostelry in the evening is most alluring.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

citoyen

« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2018, 01:32:07 pm »
 :thumbsup:

For those staying on Friday night, the brewery bar will only be open 4-7pm, but there are a couple hostelries just down the road in the village, including the original micropub - http://www.micropub.co.uk/

« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2018, 07:42:23 pm »
I recommend this route. I also recommend 4 inner tubes and repair patches too. If you can get there and back with no driving. I recommend that as well as the beer looks great.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #4 on: 10 June, 2018, 11:46:51 pm »
This was great last year (didn't even get any punctures!) Is the brewery cat still in residence?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

citoyen

« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2018, 09:59:02 am »
Is the woodland off road bit still in it?

No, I've taken that bit off the official routesheet - it's still there as an option for anyone who wants to use it as a shortcut to the finish but I think most would rather avoid it. I still use it a lot myself but I get that it's not to everyone's taste!

citoyen

« Reply #6 on: 11 June, 2018, 10:00:52 am »
I also recommend 4 inner tubes and repair patches too.

I think the number of punctures last year was a bit of freakish bad luck - I've done this route several times without a single puncture. It was just unfortunate that the heavy rain the night before must have washed all the crap into the road.

But yes, best to be prepared for every eventuality.

citoyen

« Reply #7 on: 11 June, 2018, 10:05:36 am »
Is the brewery cat still in residence?

I don't think I've met the cat - but that's possibly because I usually have the dog in tow when I go up there, so it probably keeps out of the way.

citoyen

« Reply #8 on: 05 July, 2018, 01:04:04 am »
200 - basically the same as last year, with a few minor route refinements. Starts 8am.
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-304/

110 - revised route to cut out the excessive over-distance, with a halfway control at Woodchurch. Starts 9.30am.
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-305/

Century - new for this year, a 160km/100 mile route. Uses the 200 route as far as Robertsbridge, cuts across to Rye, then uses the 200 route back to the finish.
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-335/

Just bumping this thread to say that provisional routesheets and GPX files are now available to download from the AUK website using above links. They should be fine but I'm planning to do a test ride of each distance over the next few weeks just to make sure.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9 on: 05 July, 2018, 12:40:07 pm »
This is a cracking ride and perfectly ECE'able however I am away that weekend... I blame bad forward planning!

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #10 on: 06 July, 2018, 08:23:52 am »
I'm looking forward to this, had to miss it last year, but raring to go in 2018.

rob

« Reply #11 on: 06 July, 2018, 08:38:58 am »
Hopefully I'll be able to do this.   I have most of August off with a family holiday so it should help me find my legs before the Fenland Friends the following weekend.

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 31 July, 2018, 05:54:37 pm »
Gratuitous thread bump...

Entries are trickling in nicely, so it should be a good turnout again. Closing date for entries is 27th August.

I've done a test ride of the new 110km route and I'm very happy with it - a definite improvement IMO.

I've also roped in some helpers to stamp cards at the Biddenden control. Might have more helpers at other controls but not counting on it - if not, it'll be commercial controls as last year.

Phil W

« Reply #13 on: 31 July, 2018, 06:00:58 pm »
2m for AAA made me laugh

citoyen

« Reply #14 on: 31 July, 2018, 06:26:08 pm »
2m for AAA made me laugh

One of those delightful quirks of the Event Planner. I haven't worked out how to change it, but it doesn't bother me enough to ask anyone else to fix it either. Might try to sort it for next year though...

Phil W

« Reply #15 on: 31 July, 2018, 06:57:30 pm »
The AAA man can remove it.

citoyen

« Reply #16 on: 31 July, 2018, 10:38:29 pm »
The AAA man can remove it.

The AAA man is on the case.

Probably for the best to remove that as it seems to be causing confusion. There are a couple of hills on the route but certainly not enough to merit AAA points.

citoyen

« Reply #17 on: 02 August, 2018, 07:37:13 pm »
The AAA man has now fixed the glitch, so if you look at the entry page it's showing as 'revised AAA', although there are no actual changes to the route. However, he also checked the total climbing on the ride and added a couple of hundred metres of elevation that I overlooked*, so it is now 10% hillier than it was. Still a long way short of being hilly enough to merit AAA points though.

*I just went with the figure RWGPS gave me.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #18 on: 03 August, 2018, 02:17:50 pm »
In.
Now out: a friend's 65th birthday innit.

BUT - had entered because. Thanet club, innit.
Also - a 200k just in case I want to go to France next year.
And it's a week before the Fenland 600k so will give me an idea of what it is to ride a bike.
also - camping near a brewery, what's not to like? Can rehydrate in good company. Drive home in the morning, innit. Hic.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

citoyen

« Reply #19 on: 06 August, 2018, 09:53:01 am »
In.
Now out: a friend's 65th birthday innit.

Ah, that's a shame!

I'm in the process of arranging a cyclist's breakfast offer at Bloomsbury's in Biddenden (first control on the Century and 200) - something along the lines of bacon roll and coffee for a fiver, details tbc. Last year, Biddenden was a 'free' control but I've roped in some helpers to stamp cards this year, so Bloomsbury's will be the official control location.

I did a test ride of the Century route yesterday. All I will say to anyone doing that one is: just because it doesn't have AAA points, don't expect it to be flat.

rob

« Reply #20 on: 06 August, 2018, 10:01:46 am »
Entered, but I have a 10 day holiday in Italy between now and then.

I expect I'll be a bit heavier by the time of the ride.

huggy

• ACME GCFO +&+ Mr RRtY
    • ACME
« Reply #21 on: 08 August, 2018, 07:13:50 pm »
The opportunity is opening up for me to ride, about time I came to support the Thanet lot after they have sent representations to ACME events  ;D
I will likely drive the ACME team van with bike and air bed in the back so I can sleep over  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #22 on: 08 August, 2018, 08:06:26 pm »
Good plan given a goody ales finish :thumbs:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #23 on: 14 August, 2018, 05:34:13 pm »
I'm in I hope, the audax site suggesting I had both entered and cancelled. God alone knows what I did.....
Definitely planning on camping as Wiltshire to Kent is a bit of a hike and the beer sounds excellent!
Reine de la Fauche

citoyen

« Reply #24 on: 14 August, 2018, 05:55:16 pm »
I'm in I hope, the audax site suggesting I had both entered and cancelled. God alone knows what I did.....
Definitely planning on camping as Wiltshire to Kent is a bit of a hike and the beer sounds excellent!

Yep, I've just sent you an email to confirm you're in. And yes, the beer is excellent. See you there!