Author Topic: James Blair  (Read 2513 times)

James Blair
« on: 10 June, 2018, 09:52:48 pm »
This desperately saddening news will filter through to  you soon. There's no easy way to put it, so probably best to use Camilla Blair's words.

I'm sorry to say that 2 days ago my Dad took his own life.
He had been struggling with severe depression for a long time now and clearly he couldn't take any more.

He has left my uncle, my brother and I shocked and devastated, but we're determined to give him a good send-off. If there is anyone out there that knew our Dad and wants to say goodbye, we will be holding a commemoration for him on the 2nd of July. Get in touch if you'd like to come.

If you were his friend on social media, you will be able to make contact with his daughter  that way.

For my part, James was always very polite and a softly spoken gentleman. He loved the outdoor life, be it cycling or walking. He often produced fine write,-ups on his adventures accompanied with some stunning photographs.

My thoughts and condolences with his family at this time.

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Re: James Blair
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2018, 10:45:01 pm »
Oh dear. For those that don't realise, James's forum name was Jamesld8. Poor James.
Lovely man.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2018, 07:27:03 am »
Very, very sad news. I would regularly chat to James on Blacksheep's rides and the likes of the BCM and Brevet Cymru. I found myself thinking a few weeks ago that I hadn't seen him around for a while. Bit lost for words really, as Flatus says, a lovely man.

« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2018, 09:38:13 am »
James and I shared a common interest in hill walking and mountaineering, as well as cycling, and he was always a pleasure to talk to. A few years ago I also worked with James as a mentor for some audaxes that he was developing. Sadly they never came to fruition.

As somebody who suffers mental ill-health myself, James's condition strikes home, underlining the tragic consequences that such a condition can have on a person's life.  May he rest in peace. 
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4 on: 11 June, 2018, 05:36:14 pm »
Very sad, I chatted a couple of times with him on an Audax and bought a saddle from him as well. Seemed a decent chap.

« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2018, 08:02:27 pm »
What a shame, I don't know James but I have seen him at events many times.

:(
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #6 on: 11 June, 2018, 08:12:21 pm »
So sad.   :(
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #7 on: 11 June, 2018, 09:02:30 pm »
I am devastated to hear this news. I spent many a mile riding with James and almost as many hours in cafes talking about walking, cycling, photography, our favourite views and even golf.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #8 on: 11 June, 2018, 09:24:30 pm »
Sad news.

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #9 on: 11 June, 2018, 10:14:25 pm »
Devastating, especially after Dai Jones last year. I first knew James from work a dozen or so years ago and we used to go mountain biking in the Cambrian Mountains then and have met him regularly on audaxes since. A real gentle soul.

I'll take a bottle of ale with me when I next cycle in view of Radnor Forest and drink it in his honour.

« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2018, 06:39:04 pm »
So very sad this, james was one of the first people i spoke to on an audax, a familiar face on many a ride and a real gentleman. Thoughts are wigh his family. Thanks for letting us know Mark

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #11 on: 18 June, 2018, 04:30:01 pm »
Very sad news. We corresponded my email on various Cambrian Series projects, some of which came to fruition.  Rest in peace, James
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #12 on: 18 June, 2018, 06:54:29 pm »
James was a very accomplished AUK DIYer, fine and varied hilly routes, and more than 50 of them accomplished in 4 years or so. Always a helpful and interesting correspondent. Fine photographs, with lots of "sense of place" and appreciation of everything, including the best and worst of the weather.