Author Topic: 3 Coasts 600 / East & West Coasts 600 / The Good Companions 200 - 16/17 June  (Read 3978 times)

pizzicatooff

• Night riding is inevitable
The route sheets and gpx tracks for these events have been modified to take into account various changes in road layouts etc., and have been posted on the relevant event pages on the AUK website, i.e.
3 Coasts 600 - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-226/
E & W Coasts 600 - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-319/
The Good Companions 200 - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-934/

The changes made are easy to spot on the route sheets.

This has been made possible by Dave Dodwell and Jason Hemingway riding the events and identifying the changes necessary, and in Dave's case by editing the gpx tracks. Thanks, guys.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Through some heroically tragic scheduling on my part, I'll be away touring this weekend but one day I shall experience the pizza delights of 'oop north.

Have a great ride. :)

Chris S

Through some heroically tragic scheduling on my part, I'll be away touring this weekend but one day I shall experience the pizza delights of 'oop north.

ISTR avoiding missiles from the pub crowd as you pass through the Greater Leeds Hinterland at Drunk O'Clock is one of the side shows on the 3C. Unbelievably, it's 11 years since I completed it (had a subsequent DNF on it). We referred to that one as the 3 Coats.

Oops... The details on the Good Companions are the E&W details - routesheet and GPX.

Hoping to ride GC on Sunday, but any chance you can update the details please to avoid the 400 over distance?  ;D

whosatthewheel

Not this year, but I am up for the 2019 one!

ISTR avoiding missiles from the pub crowd as you pass through the Greater Leeds Hinterland at Drunk O'Clock is one of the side shows on the 3C.

Technically you'll be passing about 30 feet from my house as you head out of/into Dewsbury at 29/345km (up/down Leeds Road).

I'm aiming to ride the GC 200 this weekend as part of recovery from an operation last September. Still not sure what bike I'll be on (Ridgeback Platinum / Wilier Montegrappa) but I'll be in Ravensthorpe CC kit.

pizzicatooff

Oops... The details on the Good Companions are the E&W details - routesheet and GPX.

Hoping to ride GC on Sunday, but any chance you can update the details please to avoid the 400 over distance?  ;D

Sorry about that. My organiser's interface seems to want to associate the E & W Coasts zip files with the Good Companions page. I have uploaded the Good Companions route sheet as a plain pdf file and that is now available. Uploading the Good Companions gpx file as a zipped file (it's too big to be acceptable as a gpx file) means the website links to the E & W Coasts zipped gpx file. I don't know why.

pizzicatooff

Sorry about that. My organiser's interface seems to want to associate the E & W Coasts zip files with the Good Companions page. I have uploaded the Good Companions route sheet as a plain pdf file and that is now available. Uploading the Good Companions gpx file as a zipped file (it's too big to be acceptable as a gpx file) means the website links to the E & W Coasts zipped gpx file. I don't know why.

IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING PROPERLY NOW.

whosatthewheel

Uploading the Good Companions gpx file as a zipped file (it's too big to be acceptable as a gpx file)

You can reduce the size of a gpx file using bikehike.co.uk

Load the file, go to options, reduce the number of data points... I think 300 for every 100 km is plenty for mainly rural courses, then save the file as a GPX track.

I find most organisers these days supply files which are way too big and the extra size doesn't add any useful information, other than jamming older GPS devices, not designed to support such large files

IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING PROPERLY NOW.

Brilliant... thanks for sorting out!   :thumbsup:

Lee Killestein

Just noticed that there is a 3 day Soul festival on in Blackpool this weekend. There may be some extra excitement as we pass through on the way to Glasson dock!  8) :P

http://www.blackpoolsoulfestival.co.uk/#home-section

Just noticed that there is a 3 day Soul festival on in Blackpool this weekend. There may be some extra excitement as we pass through on the way to Glasson dock!  8) :P

http://www.blackpoolsoulfestival.co.uk/#home-section

Ooh - a detour may be needed for this GC200 rider  ;D

Finished this one today at the 2nd attempt.  Big thanks to Chris and the team for organising it and laying on so much food for everyone.  The rice pudding was fab :)

The run back through Dewsbury / Mirfield / Brighouse was less rowdy than last year although the car crowd were out in force.  It probably helped that I came through a lot earlier this year instead of at chucking out time again.

My thanks to Chris for another good event - whilst I only rode the 200 it was well organised as usual.

brill event as always

Finished this one today at the 2nd attempt.  Big thanks to Chris and the team for organising it and laying on so much food for everyone.  The rice pudding was fab :)

The run back through Dewsbury / Mirfield / Brighouse was less rowdy than last year although the car crowd were out in force.  It probably helped that I came through a lot earlier this year instead of at chucking out time again.

Whereas those of us with more time on our hands avoided the rush by passing through well after chucking out time. Still a lot of taxis around though.
The fact that the two 600k rides return to base at a reasonable distance and time makes them ideal events for people new to the distance .
It can be quite hard setting off for the second leg , but scenically the trip is well worth it (with the exception of Padiham and the climb out of it).
Chris has got a good team of helpers and the atmosphere at the hall is always good.
Thanks to all for another good event and hope to be back again next year.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
Ended up doing the 200km instead of the intended 3 coasts and the route did not disappoint. Gained a much appreciated  tow from the Holmfirth crew between Fulwood & Glasson Dock. Had the company of BO on the 2nd half, Bert and Oggy. Bravo to Jack in accomplishing the 2 coasts with a bonus 400km ECE.

Again, Chris and his team provided great catering and sleeping arrangements.
CCS - Setting the Standards

Thanks Ray,

It was good to catch up with you at the end. My final 75km went fine. Bradford was pleasingly empty when I passed through the centre.

Thanks also to Chris and team for organising. The HQ and event had a great atmosphere. Really enjoyed meeting everyone.

Ended up doing the 200km instead of the intended 3 coasts and the route did not disappoint. Gained a much appreciated  tow from the Holmfirth crew between Fulwood & Glasson Dock. Had the company of BO on the 2nd half, Bert and Oggy. Bravo to Jack in accomplishing the 2 coasts with a bonus 400km ECE.

Thank for being the best good companion

Whereas those of us with more time on our hands avoided the rush by passing through well after chucking out time. Still a lot of taxis around though.
The fact that the two 600k rides return to base at a reasonable distance and time makes them ideal events for people new to the distance .
It can be quite hard setting off for the second leg , but scenically the trip is well worth it (with the exception of Padiham and the climb out of it).
Chris has got a good team of helpers and the atmosphere at the hall is always good.
Thanks to all for another good event and hope to be back again next year.

Agree the scenery on the second leg is excellent, especially heading back over the Trough of Bowland even though it was a bit grey and overcast.  I rode straight through (more or less) so Padiham was done in the dark anyway.

Had the usual on comming charity ride for the ride back from Bridlington. Better hehaved this year with everyone on the right(left) side of the road other than a few struggling on the 12+ %. I gave them space.

I will remember the ride for two reasons:
1) The deluge after Thirsk. I didn't get that wet from the sky and decided I'd be better off leaving the plastic bag in the saddle pack. However rain was running down the legs and the roads were flooded. Locals were standing outside their house on Back lane after Thirsk warning of a hole in road under a particularly deep flood that went over the bottom bracket. Someone was shouting "you're mad" from a window, I said lying, "it's not too bad out here".

2)   At 5am on Sunday morning on the edge of Burnley there was a loud crack from my rear wheel, the rear rim had split accross 2 spokes.

I rapidly pulled over and deflated the rear tyre before it burst out. Then did a seach for stuff to support the tube. I only had rail tickets so seperated out the used ones. Another rider camw past whom I knew from the previous day and other rides. He asked, as riders alway do if I was Ok and I replied "yes but not really". He pulled over provided tent repair tape and hence saved my day/ride. Wrapped the tube, pumped it up to 35psi as that's about as much as would not bulge the metal work further and was back on the road albeit carefully. Pleasent ride out to blackpool in warming temeratures and quiet roads.  Tyre went down in Blackpool due the split widening and wrapping moving slightly. Repaired pucture and rearanged packing and back on the road to fail to findtheentry cost tothe pier - info question, not a high point oftheride. Went to take a picture but phone/camera baterry flat so wrote down some dribble form the amusement arcade( free entry and 1 quid/game of bowls).
Not a high point of the ride.

With the hold ups I was getting quite badly down on time, if I missed the 4ish pm train out of Mytholmroyd I would miss  the Virgin East Coast train back down South which was on a non flexible ticket. I was struggling to maintain 12mph average. Stopped for a much needed Coffee and cake at Glasson Dock and then pushed on. I kept on thinking I would or wouldn't make the train and considered diverting at Todmonden, giving up the ride for the cost of a replacement rail ticket, but decided against it, I've never abandoned an Audax. Luckily the helper crew had just set up at Hollingworh which saved a queue at the Cafe. Immediately pressed on up the hill and then as fast as I wanted to risk down to the Arrivee. Finished at 3.55. Controller kindly accepted a pile of unsorted rubbish with the brevet card and I headed off the the station. On the platform at 4.02 and discovered I needed the 4.05 train, I was thinking I had another 20 minutes to that point.

600Km in 34 hours with 3 minute in hand for the train. Success! Without the help of the rider in Burnley of the efficency of  Chris and his helpers I'd have not made it.

Thanks all for a memorable ride.

I was up in Brid visiting my dad that weekend, and had forgotten it was on. I have the 3 coasts perm (from 2014 I think) if still allowed to do it, if you want to do it sometime with me (when you’ve recovered from the ACME grand).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
Are you still sober after England's performance in today's footy, & are you sure you have the patience / tolerance for a full value rider???  ;)

I'm supposed to have a 'quiet' year. If my ACME Grand attempt goes pear shaped, then I probably enter the Buzzard event as a consolation.

CCS - Setting the Standards

After the broken arrow, I’m having an easier Audax year too, just keeping rrty going. Started vets racing after a six year gap, and done a TT, so working on my speed and sprints, but I still like easier scenic rides. The Buzzard clashes with a CTC camping weekend I plan on doing, but I should do at least a 600 this year. Me, you, and maybe to not so Big Saxon (if we get him back up to the distance).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!