Author Topic: I still hate the new Arrivee design  (Read 21120 times)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: I still hate the new Arrivee design
« Reply #125 on: 22 June, 2018, 01:39:21 pm »
I can't help thinking that a cursive 'r' would be help scotch half of the above debate. 
Otherwise all good.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #126 on: 22 June, 2018, 01:40:17 pm »
I generally don't mind the new design but I wish the cover said "Arrivee" not WWWee.
I don't know how the font on the front got past accessibility testing. This Dyslexic can't read it properly atall.
I think I was in that discussion in Twitter and may have said this before, but I don't think your inability to read it is a function of dyslexia. I don't think _anyone_ can read it. I certainly can't and no-one else I know IRL who reads Arrivee can.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #127 on: 25 June, 2018, 09:00:10 pm »
Whilst it's still a work in progress, I think the general  tenor, layour andd content of the magazine is fairly spot on, a major advance from where we were. Some articles are too long/wordy but that's partly a content/authoring thing... . its up to us to provide more articles on different topics.

« Reply #128 on: 25 June, 2018, 10:15:55 pm »
I generally don't mind the new design but I wish the cover said "Arrivee" not WWWee.
I don't know how the font on the front got past accessibility testing. This Dyslexic can't read it properly atall.
I think I was in that discussion in Twitter and may have said this before, but I don't think your inability to read it is a function of dyslexia. I don't think _anyone_ can read it. I certainly can't and no-one else I know IRL who reads Arrivee can.

If they can't read it how do they know they are reading Arrivée?

...and If they do know they are reading Arrivée what the hell is this fuss about?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #129 on: 25 June, 2018, 10:29:41 pm »
Does a masthead really matter wrt accessibility?

Surely the body text is more critical. You only need to recognise, not read, a magazine cover...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #130 on: 25 June, 2018, 10:35:43 pm »

Not really.  I mean, it's not like it says "We are Audax UK" in comic sans or anything.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #131 on: 25 June, 2018, 10:45:13 pm »
It's a logo innit.... representing the Magazine formerly known as Arrivee

« Reply #132 on: 26 June, 2018, 09:13:04 am »

Not really.  I mean, it's not like it says "We are Audax UK" in comic sans or anything.

Charitable status and an over-paid executive? 

« Reply #133 on: 26 June, 2018, 02:43:22 pm »
If the magazine represents Audax UK why doesn't it have as a title: Audax UK?

« Reply #134 on: 26 June, 2018, 03:12:22 pm »

Unfortunately, Ray's no longer around to answer that one.
http://www.aukweb.net/arrivee/covers/001/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #135 on: 26 June, 2018, 05:52:22 pm »

Because, in a moment of open mindedness, the magazine name is a nod to the continental origins of the rides which we do. Arrivé is the French name for the finish. We are working to the ACP standards. Arrivé is a nice nod to that heritage and origins.

I'm guessing here.

Personally I like the name Arrivé. I just can't read the awwwwooo as Arrivé on the front.

I think a sub heading on there of "Arrivé, the audax uk magazine" or somesuch, maybe on the inside contents page. Would perhaps shut me up...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #136 on: 26 June, 2018, 07:42:18 pm »
... and calling it "Finish" would be a little less interesting.

(and I don't care what the francophobes in the club say. I love saying peleton! Bidon! Chapeau! Brevet! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris S

« Reply #137 on: 26 June, 2018, 07:59:00 pm »
Peloton

(click to show/hide)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #139 on: 26 June, 2018, 08:15:06 pm »
Pete Tong!

Given this is an in-house magazine that is not sold on the streets, does it matter that much?
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #140 on: 26 June, 2018, 08:19:32 pm »
Peloton

(click to show/hide)

Fair point, well made.  ;D

(it's one of those words I never know how to spell. I'm jenrally an eggcellent spelluh, but have a few glaring blindspots. And that, sadly, is one of them  :-[  )

p.s. I hope she'll be pointing out the various Arrivée/Arrivé howlers in good time ... ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #141 on: 26 June, 2018, 08:21:46 pm »
Get bent, it's a great name for the magazine. Just a shame about the content really.

Chris S

« Reply #142 on: 26 June, 2018, 08:22:12 pm »
p.s. I hope she'll be pointing out the various Arrivée/Arrivé howlers in good time ... ;)

We're still struggling with the name change to WWee to be fair.

ETA: I think the recent revamps are great, from a styling POV. The content is written by riders - they're not all literary gods - FFS get over it. It does what it does well - it's a niche mag written by (mostly) middle-aged blokes who:

• Hate their lives
  • Self harm
  • Like sniffing forecourt fumes
  • Need a lot of time to think about shit

« Reply #143 on: 26 June, 2018, 09:05:12 pm »

We're still struggling with the name change to WWee to be fair.

ETA: I think the recent revamps are great, from a styling POV. The content is written by riders - they're not all literary gods - FFS get over it. It does what it does well - it's a niche mag written by (mostly) middle-aged blokes who:

• Hate their lives
  • Self harm
  • Like sniffing forecourt fumes
  • Need a lot of time to think about shit
;D

Probably Definitely a bit harsh on my behalf, apologies.

I do like the majority of content, or at least see its place. But I don't like the styling. At all. I see it as a sideways step from what it was. But that's personal taste and what do I know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The other issues for me are the recent wave of megawank articles. And the image quality continues to annoy. But whatever, IDK.

« Reply #144 on: 27 June, 2018, 01:02:47 pm »

Nah. I don't read it. I find it pretty dull- most of the contributors can't write for shit.

There are doubtless exceptions, but as I can't read long blocks of what-I-did-on-my-holidays text, unless Mr Smith highlights that something is worth me struggling through, I don't bother.

I wouldn't dream of complaining though, the only ride report I've ever written wasn't fit for publication.

« Reply #145 on: 27 June, 2018, 01:10:07 pm »

(it's one of those words I never know how to spell. I'm jenrally an eggcellent spelluh, but have a few glaring blindspots. And that, sadly, is one of them  :-[  )

It is actually easy to remember once someone points out that it has two wheels like a bicycle: pelOtOn...

« Reply #146 on: 27 June, 2018, 01:22:01 pm »

I wouldn't dream of complaining though, the only ride report I've ever written wasn't fit for publication.

Not even with asterisks?

« Reply #147 on: 27 June, 2018, 01:24:18 pm »
I think there's an optimal asterisk-to-letters ratio that it fell on the wrong side of?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #148 on: 27 June, 2018, 01:26:11 pm »
And the image quality continues to annoy.

I don't really know what the professionals do, to visualise what is essentially a CMYK process on an RGB monitor.  All the various viewing profiles in Adobe's software only serve to confuse the issue.  I expect the proper solutions are quite expensive.  And if it's not being done properly then there's not a lot of point in spending too much time licking multitudes of varied submitted images into shape.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #149 on: 27 June, 2018, 01:32:27 pm »
And the image quality continues to annoy.

I don't really know what the professionals do, to visualise what is essentially a CMYK process on an RGB monitor.  All the various viewing profiles in Adobe's software only serve to confuse the issue.  I expect the proper solutions are quite expensive.  And if it's not being done properly then there's not a lot of point in spending too much time licking multitudes of varied submitted images into shape.
Take better photos.