Author Topic: Are members protected should AUK go bankrupt?  (Read 4132 times)

Are members protected should AUK go bankrupt?
« on: 22 September, 2018, 12:48:33 pm »
I am a member of a different club in which members are limited to £50 liability should it go bankrupt.

Do we have similar protection as AUKs.?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Are members protected should AUK go bankrupt?
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2018, 12:51:04 pm »
£1 I believe.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2018, 12:56:33 pm »
Thanks Frankie that's comforting to know .

whosatthewheel

« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2018, 01:08:12 pm »

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2018, 01:12:39 pm »
Rule 77

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #5 on: 23 September, 2018, 06:24:42 pm »
£1 I believe.

That's correct.  Audax UK is a company limited by guarantee - that guarantee is that each member of Audax UK guarantees to contribute £1 in the event that Audax UK is wound up.  In practice, it's unlikely that an insolvency practitioner is going to chase several thousand members for that £1, as that wouldn't cover the postage, let alone the administrator's time. sp there's nothing to lose sleep over.

The people who would suffer are those who provide services to Audax UK and haven't yet been paid for those services, such as the company that prints Arrivee.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #6 on: 23 September, 2018, 08:12:08 pm »

The people who would suffer are those who provide services to Audax UK and haven't yet been paid for those services, such as the company that prints Arrivee.

Or perhaps the IT company.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 23 September, 2018, 08:46:58 pm »
Do a CVA and start again?
It is simpler than it looks.

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 23 September, 2018, 08:49:55 pm »

and don't get their £750,000...

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #9 on: 23 September, 2018, 08:52:42 pm »

and don't get their £750,000...

That's a shocking amount of money.

« Reply #10 on: 24 September, 2018, 01:49:28 pm »
That's a shocking amount of money.

It is, but I've no idea what relevance a figure of £750k has in these discussions...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #11 on: 24 September, 2018, 02:24:18 pm »
I'm sure it was meant as a joke, but given we're already up to £260k to recreate only a fraction of the functionality of AUKweb, (and not including some of the fiddlier bits), £750k to fully replace it doesn't seem too far off the current trajectory.

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #12 on: 24 September, 2018, 02:30:19 pm »
I've got to take a break from this place and get out and ride some more I think.  :-\

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, we probably won't get a choice in this either. AUK will have it's website.
Rule 77

« Reply #13 on: 24 September, 2018, 02:36:53 pm »
I'm sure it was meant as a joke, but given we're already up to £260k to recreate only a fraction of the functionality of AUKweb, (and not including some of the fiddlier bits), £750k to fully replace it doesn't seem too far off the current trajectory.

I haven't read through the documentation on the AUK site[1] to decide this for myself yet. I don't think it's "only a fraction" though.

1. It's not all in one place but you can't go wrong reading things at http://www.aukweb.net/official/minutes/ specifically "AUK System Refresh - Project Board Update 9th July 2018" and "Finance Directors Report
11jul18" apparently.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #14 on: 24 September, 2018, 02:40:44 pm »
Its worth enquiring about this in any club you are a member of. It only came to light when the club I am in got a new treasurer who was appalled at the way it was being run.

If  a club you are a member of gets into debt and is not being run as a limited liability company the bill would not be split equally.The court can take it all from any of the members who have assets .

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #15 on: 24 September, 2018, 03:58:23 pm »

I haven't read through the documentation on the AUK site[1] to decide this for myself yet. I don't think it's "only a fraction" though.

1. It's not all in one place but you can't go wrong reading things at http://www.aukweb.net/official/minutes/ specifically "AUK System Refresh - Project Board Update 9th July 2018" and "Finance Directors Report
11jul18" apparently.

Well that was a fun read...In summary, it was harder than the IT company initially thought it was going to be and there is no going back now if we want that new Kitch....website now. And we sometimes wonder why the NHS can't get it's IT act together.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #16 on: 24 September, 2018, 04:29:31 pm »
AUK IT project shows many signs of spiralling costs. They should look at a minimum set of functions and set about creating and supporting that. The relationship between software complexity and cost is not linear. The board should look at a minimum product to keep AUK running on a secure basis. From reading the reports I am not sure this has been done.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #17 on: 24 September, 2018, 06:51:10 pm »

I have... What they've built is a prettier public facing website* that does a few static content pages, an event calendar driven by aukweb data and a basic member login area. No event entry, no event admin, and (I think) no results database, which is all icebergy stuff. Phase 2 is proposed to add member signup and renewal (and various member-related admin tools) and some sort of merchandise shop.

I'd like to be wrong and find out a load of this stuff has been built and just isn't clearly described by the docs, but do you think that's likely?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #18 on: 24 September, 2018, 07:30:28 pm »

I have... What they've built is a prettier public facing website* that does a few static content pages, an event calendar driven by aukweb data and a basic member login area. No event entry, no event admin, and (I think) no results database, which is all icebergy stuff. Phase 2 is proposed to add member signup and renewal (and various member-related admin tools) and some sort of merchandise shop.

I'd like to be wrong and find out a load of this stuff has been built and just isn't clearly described by the docs, but do you think that's likely?
If this is the case for the money that has been spent then a rethink is urgent. AUK needs to maintain the organisation at all costs. It may be the case that some of the fancier functions can be done manually with a flat annual cost with paid admin. If you look at some of the 'simple' web sites they cost a fortune to develop and the money is spent on the items that look simple.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #19 on: 24 September, 2018, 11:24:19 pm »
Well that was a fun read...In summary, it was harder than the IT company initially thought it was going to be and there is no going back now if we want that new Kitch....website now. And we sometimes wonder why the NHS can't get it's IT act together.

I work in NHS IT; if you want to hear a full on rant...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 24 September, 2018, 11:35:43 pm »

Is that the five minute one or the whole hour?

;D ;D ;D

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #21 on: 24 September, 2018, 11:43:13 pm »

Is that the five minute one or the whole hour?

;D ;D ;D

5 minutes? Impossible. Even an hour is wildly optimistic, H!! [;)]

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #22 on: 24 September, 2018, 11:49:10 pm »
Promise 5 minutes. It takes an hour and the charge is two hours.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #23 on: 25 September, 2018, 06:27:22 am »
I've got to take a break from this place and get out and ride some more I think.  :-\

very wise