Author Topic: Lincolnshire is not flat!  (Read 1730 times)

Lincolnshire is not flat!
« on: 20 November, 2018, 08:44:13 am »
Well I have always known Lincolnshire is not flat, but if your from a foreign county you might wanna check out my latest jaunt; a 200km DIY Autumnal ride encompassing the Lincolnshire Wolds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EScm5kBru0o
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

Re: Lincolnshire is not flat!
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2018, 11:36:34 am »
I've family just to the east of the Lincs Wolds.  My rides there tend to have 10k of perfect flatness, the ups & downs of the Wolds (& v pleasant it is too), a pub, then 10k of perfect flatness again to finish off.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2018, 02:38:11 pm »
Why are there no Permanents which take advantage of the Lincolnshire Wolds scenery?

« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2018, 02:39:12 pm »
Scenery. 

And pubs.   :)
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #4 on: 21 November, 2018, 09:49:31 pm »
Great video as always. Oh the joys of DIY, when the road becomes a path then the path runs out and you've submitted a mandatory route!
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

« Reply #5 on: 01 December, 2018, 08:36:28 am »
Why are there no Permanents which take advantage of the Lincolnshire Wolds scenery?

Funny you should ask.  In the early days of Audax UK, Doncaster was the centre of the Long Distance Cycling World, and one of their regular rides was the Cleethorpes 200, which was usually run at Easter I seem to recall, as essentially an out-and-back ride to the coast from Doncaster through Kirton in Lyndsey.  It was mainly flat, but nipped over the Lincolnshire Wolds between Nettleton and Waltham, and the reverse on the way back.  I've done this several times as a Calendar event, starting variously at Doncaster, at Lindholme Prison, at Hatfield Woodhouse, and at Thorne rugby club.

The year we started at Hatfield Woodhouse, we turned up on the day to find that the village hall used as HQ had just recently been burned down.  That year, I remember that the route went through Wroot.  I got a bit lost another time after the Wolds section, and instead of following the route sheet into Cleethorpes, I started following road signs to "Town Centre" - and ended up in Grimsby.  I found my way back to Cleethorpes so managed to get a validation.

John Radford had it as one of his 200km Perms, possibly taking it on from Noel Simpson or Pete Gifford, and after his sad demise, Chris Crosland took it over.  I think it still exists as either Bernie's Short Flat One or Doncaster Doddle.

I like the ride and must have another go some time.  The long flat bits come as a refreshing change to one who lives in Saddleworth, but the Wolds are a visual countdown for the climbing to come.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #6 on: 01 December, 2018, 02:27:06 pm »

Funny you should ask.  In the early days of Audax UK, Doncaster was the centre of the Long Distance Cycling World, and one of their regular rides was the Cleethorpes 200, which was usually run at Easter I seem to recall, as essentially an out-and-back ride to the coast from Doncaster through Kirton in Lyndsey.  It was mainly flat, but nipped over the Lincolnshire Wolds between Nettleton and Waltham, and the reverse on the way back.  I've done this several times as a Calendar event, starting variously at Doncaster, at Lindholme Prison, at Hatfield Woodhouse, and at Thorne rugby club.

The year we started at Hatfield Woodhouse, we turned up on the day to find that the village hall used as HQ had just recently been burned down.  That year, I remember that the route went through Wroot.  I got a bit lost another time after the Wolds section, and instead of following the route sheet into Cleethorpes, I started following road signs to "Town Centre" - and ended up in Grimsby.  I found my way back to Cleethorpes so managed to get a validation.

John Radford had it as one of his 200km Perms, possibly taking it on from Noel Simpson or Pete Gifford, and after his sad demise, Chris Crosland took it over.  I think it still exists as either Bernie's Short Flat One or Doncaster Doddle.

I like the ride and must have another go some time.  The long flat bits come as a refreshing change to one who lives in Saddleworth, but the Wolds are a visual countdown for the climbing to come.

Pretty sure it's Bernie's Short Flat One (AukWeb Perm pages have it as *Tiny* Flat One: http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/JRA05/), as the Doncaster Doddle heads down to East Bridgeford via Retford and Southwell, returning via Caenby Corner. Or at least it did when I did it in 199ahem! - Phil W's Permanent Pages seem to agree: https://maps.long-distance.rocks/audax-uk-permanents/JRA06
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

rob

« Reply #7 on: 01 December, 2018, 02:49:45 pm »

The Cleethorpes 200 was my first 200 in 1993.   It helps that my formative years and early cycling life were based out of Grimsby.

« Reply #8 on: 02 December, 2018, 03:22:31 pm »

Funny you should ask.  In the early days of Audax UK, Doncaster was the centre of the Long Distance Cycling World, and one of their regular rides was the Cleethorpes 200, which was usually run at Easter I seem to recall, as essentially an out-and-back ride to the coast from Doncaster through Kirton in Lyndsey. 

As @Yorkie has intimated, by deduction this is JRA05 "Bernies Tiny Flat One" - as you say, Chris Crossland is contact: http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/JRA05/ It's title as per AUK Perm page is 'tiny' not 'short'.
@Yorkie: "the Doncaster Doddle heads down to East Bridgeford via Retford and Southwell, returning via Caenby Corner. Or at least it did when I did it in 199ahem! - Phil W's Permanent Pages seem to agree: https://maps.long-distance.rocks/audax-uk-permanents/JRA06"
Phil W's (triangle) map for the Doncaster Doddle is based on my entries (Doncaster, East Bridgeford, Caenby Corner, Doncaster) on his database: information I gleaned from https://ridewithgps.com/routes/7815092
I have used Mike's route description (above) to inform Phil W's project (Where do perms go?). Thank you.
Keen to know where Bernies 'Long Flat One' (600) and Bernies 'Little Flat One (300) go - ie their routes/controls (?)(for the same purpose).

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #9 on: 02 December, 2018, 04:00:47 pm »

Funny you should ask.  In the early days of Audax UK, Doncaster was the centre of the Long Distance Cycling World, and one of their regular rides was the Cleethorpes 200, which was usually run at Easter I seem to recall, as essentially an out-and-back ride to the coast from Doncaster through Kirton in Lyndsey. 

As @Yorkie has intimated, by deduction this is JRA05 "Bernies Tiny Flat One" - as you say, Chris Crossland is contact: http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/JRA05/ It's title as per AUK Perm page is 'tiny' not 'short'.
@Yorkie: "the Doncaster Doddle heads down to East Bridgeford via Retford and Southwell, returning via Caenby Corner. Or at least it did when I did it in 199ahem! - Phil W's Permanent Pages seem to agree: https://maps.long-distance.rocks/audax-uk-permanents/JRA06"
Phil W's (triangle) map for the Doncaster Doddle is based on my entries (Doncaster, East Bridgeford, Caenby Corner, Doncaster) on his database: information I gleaned from https://ridewithgps.com/routes/7815092
I have used Mike's route description (above) to inform Phil W's project (Where do perms go?). Thank you.
Keen to know where Bernies 'Long Flat One' (600) and Bernies 'Little Flat One (300) go - ie their routes/controls (?)(for the same purpose).
I can certainly correlate the Donny Doddle Controls from my experience, both riding it and assisting Richard and Theresa Miall in controlling it one year as well. I don't remember any info controls on the DD, but that doesn't mean there weren't any!  ;)

I can't help with the *Little* Flat One, as I was never around for that one, but the Long Flat One started in Donny, and used the same controls for the first leg as the DD, albeit with an extra initial jink out into North Lincolnshire (I think!) to get the first leg up to somewhere in the region of 300km.

Leg 2 then went out and back to the services at (I wanna be in) Gonerby near Grantham (in the earlier years, it was possible to ignore the route sheet and go out A638 to Markham Moor, A1 to Gonerby, retrace, but later info controls were put in around Claypole and Dry Doddington to get people off the A1!! Don't know why??  ::-) ).  Leg 2 was roughly 160km.

Leg 3 then went up to York and back, out via Selby, back via Cawood and Ferrybridge. Leg 3 was however long it needed to be to exceed 600km in total!!  :D
The event HQ around the times I was assisting/hindering (delete as applicable.  :-D ) was the MENCAP Centre on Thorne Road in Doncaster.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 02 December, 2018, 09:58:39 pm »
Bernie's SFO 300 went to Gonerby and back by a longer route, whose details I forget..