Author Topic: Will calendar rides be affected by the Coronation?  (Read 2954 times)

Will calendar rides be affected by the Coronation?
« on: 11 October, 2022, 09:25:13 pm »
I was looking at riding the Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch 400 on the 6th May but have seen that this will clash with the coronation of King Charles III. I appreciate there is no precedent for coronations but wondered whether this will affect calendar rides on that day?

Appreciate if it's still going ahead that I may be better driving to Poynton than trying to get trains.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63172425

Re: Will calendar rides be affected by the Coronation?
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2022, 09:55:00 pm »
I'm organising the Chevy Chase on that day, I forsee a problem with one control, cafe owners are ardent royalists, and generally getting food and drink...Roads should be quiet tho'but

Re: Will calendar rides be effected by the Coronation?
« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2022, 09:58:25 pm »
This is likely to become a headache for the poor suffering organisers:

- Street closures related to street parties
- Cafes and other venues closing so that employees 'can watch the coronation'
- Hired halls usurping audax bookings in favour of larger coronation events
- Decline in entries as some riders opt for coronation related activities.  Conversely, some cyclists deliberately opting to ride and take advantage of possibly quieter roads.
- PBP riders will also need consider whether they can rely on gaining their BRM credits ahead of PBP

For the record, I have a BR 200km event scheduled for the 5th May. Whilst not directly affected, there may be collateral impacts either positive or negative.  Fortunately it is x'rated.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #3 on: 12 October, 2022, 10:04:09 am »
I believe that the Lincolnshire Poacher 400 has now had a date change due to the Coronation and will be a week earlier than originally advertised.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2022, 01:34:41 pm »
well there scrubs that plan for my 400, Great North road it is.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2022, 01:37:24 pm »
Taking the title literally, will anyone deliberately put on a ride on coronation day, that would not otherwise have run?

« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2022, 01:43:54 pm »
Taking the title literally, will anyone deliberately put on a ride on coronation day, that would not otherwise have run?

Good point. Have updated the title accordingly.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #7 on: 12 October, 2022, 03:54:54 pm »
Hmm, Id hoped to ride the Green & Yellow fields 300km on 6th May, having secured London based accommodation at a friends in Stratford for the Saturday night after the finish (and as a "civvies" bag drop on Friday 5th).

If the G&Y 300 still goes ahead on 6th May I plan to be there.  If Its brought forward by a week it will clash with the Great North Road 400 which Ive already entered. 

More broadly, Im hoping that the Bank Holiday on Monday 1st May isn't moved as its our 30th wedding anniversary!!   

« Reply #8 on: 12 October, 2022, 04:52:48 pm »
You think Audax has problems.  Badminton Horse trials runs that weekend with their cross country day on 6th May.  There are typically 100,000+ crowds on cross country day.  I for one wouldn't want to ride an event that weekend, its just likely to be messy.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

John Stonebridge

« Reply #9 on: 12 October, 2022, 05:30:43 pm »
If Monday 8th May becomes a Bank Holiday (whether in addition to Monday 1st May or a straight replacement) Id consider bringing forward my 600 from 17th June.

It would be right at the start of the qualifying window and allow Mon-Fri working riders a free days rest after

Certain pockets of West Lothian & Lanarkshire aside I dont imagine that folk in Scotland will do a great deal for the coronation.   

« Reply #10 on: 12 October, 2022, 08:15:16 pm »
I’ll be route checking my 400 that weekend, as long as shops and 24hr services overnight are open, it’ll be good.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 12 October, 2022, 08:55:57 pm »
If Monday 8th May becomes a Bank Holiday (whether in addition to Monday 1st May or a straight replacement) Id consider bringing forward my 600 from 17th June.

It would be right at the start of the qualifying window and allow Mon-Fri working riders a free days rest after

Certain pockets of West Lothian & Lanarkshire aside I dont imagine that folk in Scotland will do a great deal for the coronation.   
I've recently been switched to "take it off or take time and a half as mi i um Cover" but most of the rest of scotland outwith public sector still doesn't have a clue when the 4 locally defined bank holidays are, largely due to it still being at burgh level and employers picking which ever days they wish to define.

My employer uses a Perth, Dundee, Forfar and an Arbroath holiday for the 4 non christmas/ne'er ones. It used to be different depending on the council of your base.

Don't mind if it's moved though as I'll just book it off and leave it to the other to fight over.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 12 October, 2022, 09:00:58 pm »
Hmm, Id hoped to ride the Green & Yellow fields 300km on 6th May, having secured London based accommodation at a friends in Stratford for the Saturday night after the finish (and as a "civvies" bag drop on Friday 5th).

If the G&Y 300 still goes ahead on 6th May I plan to be there.  If Its brought forward by a week it will clash with the Great North Road 400 which Ive already entered. 

More broadly, Im hoping that the Bank Holiday on Monday 1st May isn't moved as its our 30th wedding anniversary!!

It's cursed. Cursed I tell you!

I just signed up for my first ever AUK BRM. And it's on the bloody day of the coronation isn't it... fnnnnnngh

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #13 on: 13 October, 2022, 09:18:25 am »
That would be a bit of a pisser. I’ve signed up for the Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch 400 on that day too, it’s one of the only 400s that are accessible.  Was looking forward to getting a picture of my bike next to the Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch signpost for the Instagram content too.

John Stonebridge

« Reply #14 on: 13 October, 2022, 09:39:36 am »

I've recently been switched to "take it off or take time and a half as mi i um Cover" but most of the rest of scotland outwith public sector still doesn't have a clue when the 4 locally defined bank holidays are, largely due to it still being at burgh level and employers picking which ever days they wish to define.

My employer uses a Perth, Dundee, Forfar and an Arbroath holiday for the 4 non christmas/ne'er ones. It used to be different depending on the council of your base.

Don't mind if it's moved though as I'll just book it off and leave it to the other to fight over.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

You've reminded me my employer aligned GB bank holidays in 1998 by adopting the E&W arrangements across the board.  GB not UK, they wouldn't have dared touch Northern Ireland.     

In Scotland it meant losing 2nd Jan (public transport non existent until very recent years) and the 1st Monday in August (schools on holiday - families can spend time together)

Easter Monday and late August (schools back) were gained.

Some folk went on strike, some claimed that they couldn't get to work even if they wanted to and others chucked a sickie and the place was effectively closed.     

It still rankles 24 years on (and unsurprisingly sickness absence still spikes on 2nd January each year north of the border).

I'm working on the basis that there will be an extra Bank Holiday for the coronation - probably one of the easier decisions for the beleaguered UK Govt just now. 

« Reply #15 on: 13 October, 2022, 10:05:57 am »
That would be a bit of a pisser. I’ve signed up for the Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch 400 on that day too, it’s one of the only 400s that are accessible.  Was looking forward to getting a picture of my bike next to the Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch signpost for the Instagram content too.

I really want to do a SR series in the coming season (not for PBP qualification) and am also attempting RRTY and I was trying to space out rides so the 300/400 and 600 are in separate months.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is the 400 I was planning on doing, both for the station picture but also because I wanted to get in some of Wales without too many hills. I'm hoping if they move it, then it is back a week, rather than forward a week as I am looking at a 300 at the start of April and a 600 in June. But I guess it's a case of keeping eyes peeled.

If I do that event I will probably drive across from Norwich, so if they keep it on the 8th, I would still look to do it, but I guess it is a case of whether there will be hotels open for the night before/after and anywhere to get food on the ride itself.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16 on: 13 October, 2022, 10:12:18 am »
Why not drop a line to the palace? I'm sure they'd be delighted to adjust their plans.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #17 on: 13 October, 2022, 10:20:53 am »
Why not drop a line to the palace? I'm sure they'd be delighted to adjust their plans.

Best leave that to British Cycling.  They are the ones that like telling people what to do and what not to do.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #18 on: 13 October, 2022, 11:07:08 am »

I emailed the organiser this morning and he came back and confirmed the ride is still going ahead as planned.
They use the EBrevet app which reduces the need for receipts but he is checking whether the cafe's that they would use as controls will be open but looking at alternatives if they are not.

« Reply #19 on: 13 October, 2022, 03:12:22 pm »

Best leave that to shell.  They are the ones that like telling people what to do and what not to do.

FTFY

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #20 on: 13 October, 2022, 04:14:24 pm »
You've reminded me my employer aligned GB bank holidays in 1998 by adopting the E&W arrangements across the board.  GB not UK, they wouldn't have dared touch Northern Ireland.     

In Scotland it meant losing 2nd Jan (public transport non existent until very recent years) and the 1st Monday in August (schools on holiday - families can spend time together)

Easter Monday and late August (schools back) were gained.

Some folk went on strike, some claimed that they couldn't get to work even if they wanted to and others chucked a sickie and the place was effectively closed.     

It still rankles 24 years on (and unsurprisingly sickness absence still spikes on 2nd January each year north of the border).

I'm working on the basis that there will be an extra Bank Holiday for the coronation - probably one of the easier decisions for the beleaguered UK Govt just now.

I can't imagine life without the 2nd January bank holiday... and I'm TT...
It may be the easiest decision but they seem hell bent on making things worse, they're more likely to cancel the other 8.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #21 on: 13 October, 2022, 04:18:52 pm »

Assuming Avanti can actually get you to Manchester area,
Actually works better than GNR for my aim of only doing 1 event a month and gets in some of wales, but i might be fighting with you over bike spaces from EDB.

« Reply #22 on: 13 October, 2022, 05:30:35 pm »

I emailed the organiser this morning and he came back and confirmed the ride is still going ahead as planned.
They use the EBrevet app which reduces the need for receipts but he is checking whether the cafe's that they would use as controls will be open but looking at alternatives if they are not.
It's not the ride itself, it's the logistics around it. Trains, hotels, nightclubs, etc.

Too early to be e-mailing Mike, but will keep my eye on it.

« Reply #23 on: 15 October, 2022, 11:31:57 am »
Rumour has it the associated bank holiday will take place on Friday 5th May.

The same day as my Hay Skivers audax.  I guess that participants will no longer need to skive from work to take part!

« Reply #24 on: 15 October, 2022, 11:04:36 pm »
Hmm, I was looking at that weekend for the helper's ride for my 600.

Ah well, if all the shops are shut, I'll have nice quiet roads, and there are a few mates on the route I can bludge off ;D