Author Topic: Malmesbury Mash  (Read 12543 times)

Re: Malmesbury Mash
« Reply #25 on: 05 February, 2009, 12:03:02 pm »
I'd be interested to know what other people are doing

Defo not doing it - will either do Cheadle (22/02/09) or a permie. Weekend time is limited so will take a day off during the week to do one if need be! Too early in my 200km career to go for a gold medal in bravery!
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

« Reply #26 on: 05 February, 2009, 12:46:11 pm »
Looks like we're in a similar state of indecision (apart from Gog yn y De).  I'm doubtful too.  There's the enjoyment factor to be considered as well as the safety factor. 

On the other hand, who knows what its going to be like on Saturday?  And I've never DNSd on an Audax and, sad I know, don't want to break that record.

I used to be decisive, but now...

Maybe it will get cancelled.

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #27 on: 05 February, 2009, 01:07:21 pm »
i'm of the same mind as nuncio. I have to leave here by five am to get there on time and I have my kids this weekend. I don't mind if i am likely to enjoy the ride but not if it's just going to be a freezing slog. On the other hand like someone said about the cotswold corker you can end up having a great day and the pleasure can be even greater for the fact that you got up and did it. Sometimes I think that that is the spirit of audax really. Just going on when things are against you and you feel like giving up. So basically still undecided. Also I have not had a route sheet

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #28 on: 05 February, 2009, 01:13:19 pm »
I cycled this morning (Bristol to Bath) and I wondered half way what the hell i was doing on a bike!!!!

Out of my door it was well gritted but when I went through Hanham (East Bristol) I found compacted snow, very dodgy!!! The cycle path between Bitton and Bath was covered with 2 inches of "wet" snow, very slippery indeed. 20km was enough, I wouldn't do 200km like this.

Nevertheless the snow was quite watery so I wouldn't be surprised if it were too melt very quickly. The cycle path is ungritted and always last to melt so If I cycle tomorrow, I will let you know how it is.
Chief cat entertainer.

daflloyd

« Reply #29 on: 05 February, 2009, 08:54:59 pm »
I have entered and got the route sheet - I am in a similar state of dilemma as the last few posters.

My current thinking is to start and see how it goes. As an "A" Road merchant, the prospect of a nice breakfast at Chepstow followed by an "A" Road blast back to base in time to watch an Italian giant killing in the afternoon seems a reasonable way to spend a day. No points, but 100k ridden and two 6 nations matches watched.

As I recall, the lanes in legs 2 and 3 were muddy and full of the hunt brigade as it coincides with some hunt event near Malmesbury. They were trecherous in normal conditions (IIRC Nuncio described a comedy fall in those parts either last year or the year before), so the current weather offering will only add to the mix.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #30 on: 05 February, 2009, 09:11:04 pm »
I have good news to report, I cycled back from work tonight and most of the Bath to Bristol cyclepath was clear from snow (That is everywhere except on bridges). Considering that they don't grit it, I think that this is good. Roads weren't more slippery thqn on a wet day. Anybody know if there is a big difference between the Bristol-Bath area and the Malmesbury area? Unless new snow/black ice, Saturday should be OK around here.
Chief cat entertainer.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #31 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:40:35 pm »
It has just restarted snowing...  :-[
Chief cat entertainer.

ludwig

• grown in wales
« Reply #32 on: 06 February, 2009, 07:20:41 am »
I have been checking forcasts all morning and it doesn't look too good. Snow in the afternoon in malmesbury, cold and a brisk north westerly.

« Reply #33 on: 06 February, 2009, 08:26:16 am »
That's me out then. 

Probably.

« Reply #34 on: 06 February, 2009, 08:31:00 am »
That's me out then. 

Probably.

Just spoken to the organiser. He will be expecting you tomorrow.

ludwig

• grown in wales
« Reply #35 on: 06 February, 2009, 09:51:02 am »
I just got an email from the org. He says that the logistics of cancelling the ride prevent him from doing so but says that the conditions are bad and that he would not attempt it himself. It's a shame because its really nice here (cardigan) mild, no wind and the roads are clear.

« Reply #36 on: 06 February, 2009, 09:56:58 am »
Wiltshire (which I think is the county that Malmesbury is in) is (a) one of the counties most affected by the current snow fall and (b) according to the BBC News website is one of the counties that is only gritting major roads due to shortage of salt.

« Reply #37 on: 06 February, 2009, 10:09:30 am »
The advice basically is that you can ride if you want to, but consider your safety and that of others, and don't take unnecessary risks*.

*God! I must be getting old.

« Reply #38 on: 06 February, 2009, 11:58:27 am »
BBC Quote:

"Both Severn bridges have been closed after five car windscreens were smashed by sheets of falling ice on the M4."

Make sure you wear a sturdy helmet  :o
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

« Reply #39 on: 06 February, 2009, 01:09:12 pm »
Both bridges remain closed - there's another update at 13.30 apparently.

Conditions in Monmouthshire at present are slushy, with varying amounts of snow remaining.  Main roads are OK at the moment but the lanes are still very slushy and snowy in places.  Theres are a coupleof inches of snow left in the Wye Valley, but furher south in St Arvan's I'm told (by the postie) it's more like 6-8".

The forecast is for a freeze overnight - metcheck says -3 - so it is very likely that minor roads, cyclepaths and footpaths will have frozen slush, ice and crud in the morning.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #40 on: 06 February, 2009, 01:15:12 pm »
There was enough snow this morning in Bristol to convince me that 40 minutes walk + £7.50 return train to Bath was better value than another ride on snow!!! I don't think I will be coming unless it magically all melts by tonight. I will keep you updated on snow around here anyway.

Anybody to ride it anyway in 1 or 2 weeks time? May be as a permanent, how would this work from the admin side?

Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #41 on: 06 February, 2009, 01:26:47 pm »
BBC Quote:

"Both Severn bridges have been closed after five car windscreens were smashed by sheets of falling ice on the M4."

What's the score if the old severn bridge is still closed tomorrow? The route is an impossibilty.

The report heard cited "general conditions, on both bridges" as the reason for closure, this include facilities for non-motorway traffic.

Tonights weather menu for the area is, sleet later today, then a night of freezing temperatures.

Mrs blacksheep has already decided not to venture out, about 100mm of snow fell in the severn vale this morning.

I think we will be riding DrFosters as a permanent sometime after the Cotswold Corker.  "she-who-must-be-obeyed" is getting a bit twitchy as year four of her RTTY draws ever closer to it's sumit.   
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #42 on: 06 February, 2009, 01:45:49 pm »
Looks like Andy & I are out now too...

I suppose tandem + snow/ice isn't a great combo.

« Reply #43 on: 06 February, 2009, 02:01:54 pm »
They  didn't do the Mash

They didn't do the Malmesbury Mash

repeat to fade

S

« Reply #44 on: 06 February, 2009, 02:54:57 pm »
Unlike yesterday, there is still shitloads of snow and slush on the roads. Potentially -8 or so tonight.  Be careful, those that ride!

« Reply #45 on: 06 February, 2009, 03:01:40 pm »
The advice basically is that you can ride if you want to, but consider your safety and that of others, and don't take unnecessary risks*.

I'm not a great fan of any form of "nanny state", however I'm a little at a loss with some AUK's antics. I have no issue with the organiser - I've ridden numerous rides with him, ridden other rides he's put on for us to enjoy. He's a top guy

But why do organisers have to do risk assesments for all of their rides? I was informed it was for the benefit of our insurers - to prove we (the organisers) have taken every variable into consideration when assesing the risks to individuals whilst on the event.

So why when the police have announced on national media, that no one should travel unless their journey is absolutely neccesary, do AUK allow event to run?

Surely if anything happens to those on an event that could attributed to the conditions doesn't bode well for anyone within AUK.

I go a little more grey every May when I see intrepid little groups of cyclists enter the Elan Valley, knowing that they could be facing impossible conditions - even though everywhere else in the area is safe.

And yet wit hlarge ammounts of wet snow on the ground, a hard frost forecast for tonight, why don't the powers to be in AUK give organisers in these conditions the advice to postpone the event?
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #46 on: 06 February, 2009, 04:49:35 pm »

I'm not a great fan of any form of "nanny state",

I think you've answered your own question. 

For anyone who turns up there will be explicit advice to think carefully before deciding. On the other hand, if I'd entered I would certainly have a go. I've ridden in worse.

Postponement isn't an option, it would have to be cancelled.

« Reply #47 on: 06 February, 2009, 04:53:43 pm »

I found it easier than solo. More stable, and perhaps the extra weight helps traction.

« Reply #48 on: 06 February, 2009, 05:09:47 pm »

I found it easier than solo. More stable, and perhaps the extra weight helps traction.

Did you just call me fat?  :P

The last time we rode tandem was the Easter Arrow last year and that was pretty grim.

« Reply #49 on: 06 February, 2009, 05:24:47 pm »

Did you just call me fat?  :P

I was referring to the combined weight of you and your swain, Mr Cox*.

*Geddit?